***AZCOM Class of 2010!!!****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
goinverted said:
About the whole television internet thing, the discount you get for keeping cox bundled is like ten bucks. If you go to best buy you can find out about the promotions, for instance the year of Charter high speed cable internet that I pay only 19.99 for. As for television, I think unless you plan on getting the $16 limited cable pack with Cox then you are better off getting a satellite. I am actually a regional manager for a satellite company that can do both Direct and Dish Network and can therefore work out some pretty sweet promotions. My friend is going to live about a mile from us in Surprise and we are going to actually split one account so we pay half as much. The amount that you save by getting a satellite over going with basic cable outweighs any discount they give you for bundling. Sorry off of my soapbox and back to work....just hate the cable monopoly, sort of like walmart! :smuggrin:

Good post. I hate the cable monopoly as well and dealing with Cox can be a nightmare. Dealing with Brent can ease those tensions a bit but overall it's still a pain. My question to you is how feasible is it to get satellite and Charter high speed if you live in an apartment complex? I think your post applies primarily to people who own or rent homes. I know San Prado and San Lagos do not allow you to mount your satellite on the roof and if your back patio doesn't face the right direction, you won't be able to receive signals with satellite. Also, both apartments are setup for Cox high speed so I don't if we can even get Charter? I could be wrong so please correct me and let us know what us apartment dwellers could do to save some coin.

Members don't see this ad.

Fri, August 18th 6:00pm - Old Chicago (Dinner) www.oldchicago.com 5695 W. Bell Road, Glendale
siriceman64
caliri23

Sat, August 19th 8:30pm - The Rhythm Room "Sistah Blue" $6 (Blues and BBQ) www.rhythmroom.com, 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix
siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

Tues, August 22nd 7:00pm - Buffalo Wild Wings (Wing Night) www.buffalowildwings.com, 7000 E. Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777

kevinorr6777 said:
siriceman64: put me down for bdubs, not sure for the other ones, family will be in town...sounds good we'll have to check out ASU too. Hey do you have mlb.tv or do you know anyone who does? because i was thinking of getting that in order to watch the tigers games. It looks pretty sweet.

rahul: thanks for the advice, i'll be sure to call him!

joe: remind me to hit you when i get down there....hahahaha

I might get it (MLB.TV) to watch some of the out of town cubbies game. If I bought it with my Illinois address, I would get the blackout. Probably the same with you in Detroit. Make sure you put your AZ address. If you're interested, we could split it? I already have the MLB radio. I always liked "The Big Bang" on ASU's campus the 2 times I've been there.

Members don't see this ad :)
siriceman64 said:
Fri, August 18th 6:00pm - Old Chicago (Dinner) www.oldchicago.com 5695 W. Bell Road, Glendale
siriceman64
caliri23

Sat, August 19th 8:30pm - The Rhythm Room "Sistah Blue" $6 (Blues and BBQ) www.rhythmroom.com, 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix
siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

Tues, August 22nd 7:00pm - Buffalo Wild Wings (Wing Night) www.buffalowildwings.com, 7000 E. Mayo Boulevard, Phoenix

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc

norcaldoc said:
norcaldoc

oops, I ment I'm down for the Buffalo Wild Wings one.I think I will still be moving during the other two.

siriceman64
caliri23

siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc

I've got you all set. Looks like this is going to be a good BW3's

siriceman64 said:
siriceman64
caliri23

siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc
jw83

I've got you all set. Looks like this is going to be a good BW3's

Just arrived in Arizona yesterday...looking forward to meeting some people!

jw83 said:
Just arrived in Arizona yesterday...looking forward to meeting some people!

clinton twp?....really im from sterling heights, where did u go to hs?

Hey 1st years,

I have 1 bedroom available in a beautiful 4 bedroom, 2 bath house. It's only 1.4 miles from campus and is complete with a pool and sports court in the backyard, and a park across the street. Call/email Dusty for more [email protected] or 619-822-4751.

Enjoy your summer...

kevinorr6777 said:
clinton twp?....really im from sterling heights, where did u go to hs?

I went to Macomb Christian High School in Warren, but grew up in Shelby Twp...had friends at most of the area high schools. Where in Sterling do you live?

siriceman64 said:
siriceman64
caliri23

siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc
desertrabbit

maybe others but maybe not.... will have to bring a visitor who is driving out with me either way, but he's fun

siriceman64
caliri23

siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc
jw83
desertrabbit

think you dropped jw83 on your post desertrabbit...got it all cleared up...Guess I'm going to have to reserve a table.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for you 08' and 09' ers this was posted in the DMU thread and it seems to be pretty helpful. It was basically a list of their classes and which ones were worth going to. If any of you have time it would be cool to see something similar for AZCOM.

I'll just go straight down from what I remember:
IOM - every class, it's only a week long
Mandatory classes - OMM, Ethics
Biochemistry - I missed a few but I did horrible in this so I went to almost every class
Anatomy - Depended on the lecturer, so mostly self-study
Behavioral Med - I did try to make every class b/c the 2nd years told us that they blew this one off and did piss poor on it, so I made the effort to go
Radiology - every class, they show films during lecture and the class is only a week or so long, I would definitely NOT miss any of these
Cell Biology - I liked going to this class, they showed slides during lecture that were on the exam, so it was most helpful to attend all classes
Immunology - hardly went, I was a med tech in my past life so I've had this course quite a few times already in more depth
Microbiology - Same as with Immuno, BUT this is the class that most of my fellow classmates seemed to hate, so I would suggest going to it even though I never did (I've had micro courses at least 6 times before this one, so it was pretty easy for me)
PD - every class
Path - I think I went to the very first lecture and that was it
Neuro - every class, Dr. Dyche et al is very meticulous with this course and it would be beneficial to go
Geriatrics - I attended about half the lectures
Physiology - This one is tricky, it really came down to the lecturer or what was being lectured, but in the end I would say I went to most lectures and it was strongly beneficial that I did

I bought the old exams and used them for certain classes and found them useless for others.

goinverted said:
Hey for you 08' and 09' ers this was posted in the DMU thread and it seems to be pretty helpful. It was basically a list of their classes and which ones were worth going to. If any of you have time it would be cool to see something similar for AZCOM.

It wouldn't be of much help providing that information, because class attendance is of a very personal nature. You won't know the answer you are seeking until after your first set of exams. I'm not trying to be difficult but just honest. And I would rather you start these classes without any biases so you can decide for yourself which classes to attend. I have friends that attend every class and some that skip every class, both groups of people have done well so it depends on the individual. My advice is to attend every class up to your first set of exams. After that, you will be able to ascertain which ones you felt were worth attending.

sdDO19 said:
Hey 1st years,

I have 1 bedroom available in a beautiful 4 bedroom, 2 bath house. It's only 1.4 miles from campus and is complete with a pool and sports court in the backyard, and a park across the street. Call/email Dusty for more [email protected] or 619-822-4751.

Enjoy your summer...

I can vouch for this house. It's truly an amazing house....oh yeah and Dusty is a pretty cool guy too. j/k :laugh: Seriously, someone would be really lucky to live here.

Hey fellow 2010ers, I'm here in Phoenix trying to find a place to live. If any of you are around and want to get together, let me know. I'll be here 'til Thursday morning. It is H-O-T hot here!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all next month....
but in the meantime, I am looking for a female roommate to share my brand new 3bed/2.5bath townhome in Peoria. It's close to school, Arrowhead mall, and Peoria Sports Complex. The housing development also has two community pools and parks nearby. If anyone is interested, contact me at 480-220-1194 for more information.

I just got reserved for San Prado, apartment 1079! Yay. Sounds nice, but so freaking expensive for a 1br. Oh well, I hope the convenience and time saved not commuting is worth it.

I'm excited so many of you guys will be in San Prado also.

okayplayer said:
I just got reserved for San Prado, apartment 1079! Yay. Sounds nice, but so freaking expensive for a 1br. Oh well, I hope the convenience and time saved not commuting is worth it.

Just out of curiosity, how much are they charging?

okayplayer said:

Congrats on Prado! It's great to have another AZCOMer in the complex. My wife and I moved to a 3 bedroom 3 weeks ago. We had some issues when we moved in but they have taken care of most of those problems and we are happy now. Make sure your A/C is working well and really look at your gas bill after the first month. Our A/C wasn't working well when we initially moved in. It would take 3 hours for the temperature in the apartment to drop a degree and this was at night. I know it's 110 in Phoenix but if your thermostat doesn't drop at least 2 degrees in an hour if it's continuously blowing then there is something wrong with your AC. They tried to blame the second floor status and position of the vents as the reasons for that . However, we were persistent and they finally changed our thermostat and replaced the fan in the compressor. Our A/C works great now but we really had to stay on top of them before they did anything. Take care of those types of issues when you first move in because you will have less say in those matters as time progresses. You might think you are being pushy but trust me, they won't hesitate to charge you for something if it is less than optimal upon moving out. I have experience with that because I transferred from a one bedroom to a 3 bedroom at San Prado. Otherwise, this is a great apartment complex and you will be happy here.

Goozbah said:
Just out of curiosity, how much are they charging?

I am paying $930 per month for the A1 1br. Yikes. But luckily I have a little extra money and I don't need to pay for health insurance this year, so that fin aid money can help with living expenses.

Thanks for the heads up, Rahul. I will stay on top of that with them. For the money I am being charged I pretty much expect nothing but the best. (It is more money than my parents are paying on their mortgage right now!!) But I think it will be worth it for the convenience of a very nice place to live and being located right across the street from the school. I decided if I can cut off 30-40 min of commute it is well worth paying an extra 100-200 a month.

Also, any of you San Prado people...have you had any problems with car break-ins or is the gate a deterent? Because I've heard thefts are a big, big problem in Glendale.

jmaxwell_wsu said:
Also, any of you San Prado people...have you had any problems with car break-ins or is the gate a deterent? Because I've heard thefts are a big, big problem in Glendale.

No, I have not had any security concerns. Yes, Glendale has a lot of crime but you have to remember that we are located in Arrowhead, which is a wealthy area of Glendale so pretty much all the Arrowhead apartments and houses are safe. This is why the houses around campus are so expensive. Arrowhead is not really "Glendale" per say. Real Glendale in my opinion is when you go south of Greenway.

jmaxwell_wsu said:
I am paying $930 per month for the A1 1br. Yikes. But luckily I have a little extra money and I don't need to pay for health insurance this year, so that fin aid money can help with living expenses.

Thanks for the heads up, Rahul. I will stay on top of that with them. For the money I am being charged I pretty much expect nothing but the best. (It is more money than my parents are paying on their mortgage right now!!) But I think it will be worth it for the convenience of a very nice place to live and being located right across the street from the school. I decided if I can cut off 30-40 min of commute it is well worth paying an extra 100-200 a month.

Good call on San Prado. My girlfriend and I have lived in a 2BR at the complex since last July. We are especially happy with how close it is to campus. It is a bit pricey, but we feel that it is worth the monthly rent. You will come to see that it will be nice to get that extra 20-30 mins of sleep or study time. In case you're curious, we currently pay $1135/month.

As far as crime is concerned, we have not had any problems. It is a secure complex; the security gate is closed at 6pm nightly (when the leasing office closes). As Rahul mentioned, the Arrowhead area in Glendale is very safe, especially as compared to other areas of Phoenix.

siriceman64
caliri23

siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc
jw83
desertrabbit

Just wanted to bump this up. I made it to Germany in one piece. It took a while though. 2 broken planes later and I'm here.

Hey AZCOM students!

I spent the past hour just catching up on this thread...I haven't logged on since the end of May.

It's been a busy summer so far. I am teaching General Organic Chemistry 1(Summer Session...ouch!) at Chandler-Gilbert Community College. This is my last week! From 20 July on I can just have fun with my 2 boys...Mr. Mom for a couple weeks.

For this fall, I am considering working as adjunct faculty at Rio Salado College. It is 100% online instruction, so I am thinking its a great way to earn a little extra money without hurting my own coursework / studies. For any others out there with a Masters or PhD and a family to help support while in school, the pay is really pretty good; and you can't beat the schedule...anytime, anyplace with an internet connection and a laptop :thumbup: .

For those of you with families and still looking for a place to live with decent schools...Surprise is a great place. Our new home will not be ready until Christmas, but we are moving into our new neighborhood within the next 2 weeks to get our kids in school (Marley Park). We found a nice 4 bedroom (2000 sf) with a good-sized backyard for $1400 (includes basic cable and telephone).

Anyway...it's good to be back-on and I'll have to try and stay current now!

goinverted said:
man we all died, 2 days and no posts!

I agree. I was getting worried that everyone else disappeared... Only one month til I get back to AZ...Holy Cow...That's almost scary... It's going to be weird until it feels like home... Hopefully everyone will make it feel like home from day one. Ah to meet 500 poeple...okay maybe just 200 or so in a short time period. See everyone in 5 weeks. Deutschland is really awesome so far. Went to the Loveparade a couple days ago. 1.2 million people.

Play hard now and get mentally prepared for two challenging years. I hope your class works together as much as ours is. Your competing against the PhFs writing Boards questions, not eachother!

MSIII will be here before you know it. Then the begins on rotations.

Good luck in the coming year.

MSIII, AZCOM Class of 2008
(out of the office dispensing psych meds :)

Free tours of Cardinals Stadium on 8/19 and 8/20, tickets can be found on ticketmaster.com i think in about 40 minutes they will be available....Go Lions!

kevinorr6777 said:
Free tours of Cardinals Stadium on 8/19 and 8/20, tickets can be found on ticketmaster.com i think in about 40 minutes they will be available....Go Lions!
10 long years of suffering as a loyal fan and season ticket holder are about to pay off, finally...I hope.

Regardless, my loyalty has earned us good seats.

alright we're starting to slip with this posting deal. Com'on I'm all the way in Deutschland and I'm still posting...I'm missing the A/C like any central Illinois resident would and Arizona resident... Anybody interested in buying tickets with me to Bears v. Cardinals on Monday Night Football? (Any Bears fans?)

We are going to live in Surprise also. We will live on Cottonwood circle 4 bd. We are going to rent though. I am working at a Hospital in North Hills Fort Worth. I am finishing a contract thru to the 26th of July. We will be in AZ on the 1st. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
I spent the past hour just catching up on this thread...I haven't logged on since the end of May.

mid30premed said:
Hey AZCOM students!

It's been a busy summer so far. I am teaching General Organic Chemistry 1(Summer Session...ouch!) at Chandler-Gilbert Community College. This is my last week! From 20 July on I can just have fun with my 2 boys...Mr. Mom for a couple weeks.

For this fall, I am considering working as adjunct faculty at Rio Salado College. It is 100% online instruction, so I am thinking its a great way to earn a little extra money without hurting my own coursework / studies. For any others out there with a Masters or PhD and a family to help support while in school, the pay is really pretty good; and you can't beat the schedule...anytime, anyplace with an internet connection and a laptop :thumbup: .

For those of you with families and still looking for a place to live with decent schools...Surprise is a great place. Our new home will not be ready until Christmas, but we are moving into our new neighborhood within the next 2 weeks to get our kids in school (Marley Park). We found a nice 4 bedroom (2000 sf) with a good-sized backyard for $1400 (includes basic cable and telephone).

Anyway...it's good to be back-on and I'll have to try and stay current now!

siriceman64 said:
alright we're starting to slip with this posting deal. Com'on I'm all the way in Deutschland and I'm still posting...I'm missing the A/C like any central Illinois resident would and Arizona resident... Anybody interested in buying tickets with me to Bears v. Cardinals on Monday Night Football? (Any Bears fans?)

Funny you ask that, I was just about to ask you if you wanted to do the same thing. Ok so here is the deal, tickets go on sale July 22nd for people in arizona from 10-12 noon, then nationwide after 12 noon. So im thinking that these tickets will get taken quick. I'm in MI and you are in Germany so thats not going to work, so we need to find someone else or just try to wait until noon, let me know what you think? Although, i'm not sure how they know you are in arizona at the time of purchase, if all they need is an AZ mailing address then i can give them my san prado one, who knows?

siriceman64
caliri23

siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc
jw83
desertrabbit
hought30

Just found this thread and wanted to say hi to everyone! So we are supposed to have big brothers/sisters? No one has contacted me..Anyway I can't wait to meet everyone in a month!! I'm living in N. Scottsdale if anyone wants to get together before school, let me know :)

Kate

hought30 said:
Just found this thread and wanted to say hi to everyone! So we are supposed to have big brothers/sisters? No one has contacted me..Anyway I can't wait to meet everyone in a month!! I'm living in N. Scottsdale if anyone wants to get together before school, let me know :)

Kate

We are really rocking this party. I think we'll have a great time on Friday and Saturday too if anybody is interested closer but obviously BW3's is going to be great. I think we've got at least a good 25% of AZCOM 2010 on this post going now and nearly 10% to the opening festivities. BW3's, rhythm room, Old Chicago. Kate, nice to have you onboard.

Is there any AZCOM 2010 students that have lived in AZ for at least the last five years that haven't applied for WICHE? I spoke with one of the certifying officers this morning and she said that there is more money to give out than there are applicants($17,000 per year). The criteria is that you have lived in AZ for at least the last 5 years and plan on practing in AZ when you graduate for every year you take money.

If anyone is interested you can PM me and I can give the certifying officers email and phone number.

goinverted said:
No posts for three days! Sad
Inverted, your the man!
I'm off to yellowstone before heading to DMU next Sat. Drop me a line and we'll hook it up on live. Best of luck everyone!

jbone said:
Inverted, your the man!
I'm off to yellowstone before heading to DMU next Sat. Drop me a line and we'll hook it up on live. Best of luck everyone!

Anytime after 9:30 pacific or in the morning before 1:00

So, I am now officially a Glendale resident. For those of you who are not here yet, let me just tell you...it is HOT! I moved here from Tucson and didn't think a few more degrees would make much of a difference, but I was wrong. Moving in July is a bad idea! :scared:

siriceman64
caliri23

siricieman64
caliri23
Lady Tokimi

siriceman64
caliri23
v3rbal
goinverted
Lady Tokimi
kevinorr6777
norcaldoc
jw83
desertrabbit
hought30
DOHawkeye

Am I one of the only ones living in an on campus apartment starting next month? I thought it would be fun, but everyone else is living off campus...I'm starting to feel as cool as a 5th-year senior still living in a dorm (not that there is anything wrong with that).
I just had B-dub's (aka BW3's or Buffalo Wild Wings) yesterday for the first time in ages...they have so many new sauce flavors now...I got all disoriented. It was tempting but I couldn't cheat on my favorite spicy garlic sauce! I'm pretty excited about my move to AZ and I can't wait to meet all of you! See you soon.

---Setu

Hey all,

I just got back from Ecuador where I spend five weeks in a medical Spanish program in Quito. It was a great experience and I recommend that you guys consider doing something like that next summer if you are interested in working with the Spanish speaking population. Kona, Nicole, and I will probably give a talk at some point during the year about the program and show some pictures. Seems as if this thread has been really active and that everyone is starting to make plans for orientation week. Me, Rahul, and some other MSII's will be happy to take you guys out to Scottsdale one night and show you the fun spots. The Saturday after orientation, my roommate Luis (the activities coordinator) is trying to organize a Salt River tubing trip if anyone is interested. To all the single MS1's, good luck because I was single coming into last year and I am still single coming into the second year. My best advice would be to have fun, but realize that it's hard to date and keep a relationship going through the rigorous schedule. Quite a few of my classmates were in serious relationships that fell apart throughout the year, so there will probably be more singles at the end of the year than there were at the beginning. Anyhow, I look forward to meeting everyone and be sure to enjoy the rest of your summer!

-Matt

goinverted said:
is everyone dead>???????
Seriously, glad to see I'm not the only one that has been slacking on the posts.

Although a sensitive topic, any word on the 2 serial killers in Phoenix?

gusterbyu said:
Seriously, glad to see I'm not the only one that has been slacking on the posts.

Although a sensitive topic, any word on the 2 serial killers in Phoenix?

What's this about serial killers? They don't prey on med student do they? Man, I leave to go to the Baltic Sea and am out of touch with the internet and the post is still dead when I get back. Anybody else interested in Old Chicago or the Rhythm Room? I figure Friday and Saturday night will most likely be more last minute additions. I've heard the Rhythm Room is pretty good Blues.

On the temperature note, I feel your pain here in Berlin, Germany. Though somehow they forgot to install A/C in all the buildings. And it has been 37-38 degrees C every day in Berlin (with humidity) making it horribly miserable and inescapable. 98-99F is just too hot without A/C especially when you add water to the air...

Do.the.DO said:
Quite a few students and their families have AZ state health insurance. Might work if you can't afford the school's insurance.

http://www.de.state.az.us/faa/medical.asp

Does anyone have any health insurance ideas for a single person? I am looking for an alternate to the school health insurance.
Thanks

hought30 said:

Kate

Hi Kate

Congratulations on being accepted and I know you will love it here. Most students were assigned a big sib but it's possible you were not assigned one or your current has not gotten in contact with you. E-mail the Big Bro/Sis coordinator Bea White in Admissions at [email protected]. Ask to be added to the program and she will either remind your assigned big sib to contact your or she will assign you to someone else. If your big sib has not contacted you in a couple of weeks, request a different big sib and she will do so. Many of us don't mind having more than one little sib so you will easily get one if you want one.