AZCOM class of 2017!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDTcorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone that has been accepted. Here is a link to the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/373536452705311/

-------------------------------------
"Do not fear an army of lions led by a sheep, instead fear an army of sheep led by a lion."

:D :cool: AZCOM c/o 2017 :cool: :D

Members don't see this ad.

Looking forward to meeting all my new classmates! Hopefully this thread gets more active soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know the technology requirements? I noticed during my interview day that a lot of students had iPads and would love to pick one up for cheap on Black Friday.

Does anybody know the technology requirements? I noticed during my interview day that a lot of students had iPads and would love to pick one up for cheap on Black Friday.

As long as you can get the iPad to open up PowerPoint files then I would think you would be ok. I am not sure if you would need to have something a little more powerful or not though for anything else. Maybe a current student can answer that.

I hope they send out the 3rd year rotation list soon! I was expecting it a long time ago but I guess they aren't on the same type of schedule as last year.

I hope they send out the 3rd year rotation list soon! I was expecting it a long time ago but I guess they aren't on the same type of schedule as last year.

The guy on the Facebook page said he was sending it out soon.

The guy on the Facebook page said he was sending it out soon.

Yea I saw that, Didnt he say a few of weeks? Its already been a couple so hopefully pretty soon.

As long as you can get the iPad to open up PowerPoint files then I would think you would be ok. I am not sure if you would need to have something a little more powerful or not though for anything else. Maybe a current student can answer that.

Hey guys, congrats on the acceptances. I'm a first year, and I can attest to the fact that a lot of us use ipads. Don't worry about power points, all the teachers post their lectures as pdf's, so as long as you have something like notability or iannotate you will be just fine.

Hey guys, congrats on the acceptances. I'm a first year, and I can attest to the fact that a lot of us use ipads. Don't worry about power points, all the teachers post their lectures as pdf's, so as long as you have something like notability or iannotate you will be just fine.

Was the cost of an ipad factored into your COA by any chance?

Was the cost of an ipad factored into your COA by any chance?

Not unless you count it in with "personal expenses". Although, depending on how you study best, you could take it out of the "books & supplies". From what I've seen most students don't buy the text books. That's what all of the second years told us, and so far it seems to be working. As long as you don't live extravagantly the CoA is enough to live on, cover most expenses, and then some.

The CoA line item for books and supplies seems kind of high.

1) How much are students actually paying for books and supplies per year?
2) Are there other supplies beyond the required books that students are having to spend a significant amount on?
3) Can students get away with used books from 2nd/3rd year students, w/o the cd/internet access code?
4) Are the required books pretty much the same year to year?

I would love to hear this as well. I'm trying to save money where I can...

The CoA line item for books and supplies seems kind of high.

1) How much are students actually paying for books and supplies per year?
2) Are there other supplies beyond the required books that students are having to spend a significant amount on?
3) Can students get away with used books from 2nd/3rd year students, w/o the cd/internet access code?
4) Are the required books pretty much the same year to year?

I believe the reason the CoA for books is so high is mostly due to students in the military health professions scholarship program. I'm taking out loans, so I'm buying as few book as possible (i.e. I have yet to purchase any books). However, if the military is paying for everything then you want it to be as beneficial as possible, and some professors have said as much. Just because a textbook says required doesn't mean you are required to buy it. Almost all professors cover the material they test on in their lecture notes.

So, to answer your questions, at least from my person standpoint:

1) $0 on books, maybe $200 on supplies.
2) you will need to purchase equipment for intro to clinical, which includes things like a stethescope, sphygmomanometer, otoscope, and ophthalmoscope. If you buy high-end equipment it can be pretty expensive, but if you do what our class did and order some decent equipment all together then you get a discount for buying in bulk and it ends up not being too bad.
3) I see no reason why you couldn't use previously used books, since we haven't had to internet codes or the like.
4) it depends on the faculty, but from one year to the next it should be pretty similar

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to hear this as well. I'm trying to save money where I can...

I have a wife and child and find that we have been able to live quite comfortably on our loans and still have some left over, so you should be able to find some places to save money.

I have a wife and child and find that we have been able to live quite comfortably on our loans and still have some left over, so you should be able to find some places to save money.

Perfect. I have a wife and daughter of my own. Do you live in a luxury 2 bedroom by any chance? Having a family, do you find that living on campus allows your wife and child to interact better with other families on campus?

Perfect. I have a wife and daughter of my own. Do you live in a luxury 2 bedroom by any chance? Having a family, do you find that living on campus allows your wife and child to interact better with other families on campus?

I do live in the two bedroom luxury, but I know some people who make it work in the standard. My wife has made friends on and off campus, so it may just depend on the specific situation, but I imagine in general it is easier to meet people and make friends when you're all in the exact same situation. The housing manager has barbecues and ice cream socials a couple times a quarter, which is a nice way to get to know other people.

So anybody get our rotation stuff yet?

If you've already developed an attachment to one region or another, you could probably email Terry which region you want to go for. I emailed him last year immediately after I got accepted even before I had my packet in the mail.

Also second everything samiam said. I use an ipad for lectures and it works great with GoodReader App. I find myself annotating less and less these days though...

If you've already developed an attachment to one region or another, you could probably email Terry which region you want to go for. I emailed him last year immediately after I got accepted even before I had my packet in the mail.

Also second everything samiam said. I use an ipad for lectures and it works great with GoodReader App. I find myself annotating less and less these days though...

Im deadset on Phoenix, I dont want to seem super gunner and email ahead though....hahahaha

Gunner is putting on a facade of helping others when you have malicious intent. You tell them false information to better your own chances or withhold key information that would otherwise be helpful. By bringing others down, you effectively raise yourself.

Being proactive and securing your location for rotations isn't gunner. I would do it.

Last edited:
Gunner is putting on a facade of helping others when you have malicious intent. You tell them false information to better your own chances or withhold key information that would otherwise be helpful. By bringing others down, you effectively raise yourself.

Being proactive and securing your location for rotations isn't gunner. I would do it.

Haha right on man. I'll hit up Terry and see ;)

Just thought I would jump in here as well, excited to see everyone next year!

Hey all,

Got accepted this morning. Just checking in, looking forward to meeting my future classmates

Hey all! I'll be joining you this July :-D I am elated! I look forward to meeting you for real! :woot:

How do you access the housing app?

I just got accepted this week. Does it just pop up on your portal after you pay your deposit/matriculation agreement?

Thanks!

How do you access the housing app?

I just got accepted this week. Does it just pop up on your portal after you pay your deposit/matriculation agreement?

Thanks!

You need the select the "student services" menu in your portal. Housing app will be in a menu on the left side of the screen.

You need the select the "student services" menu in your portal. Housing app will be in a menu on the left side of the screen.

Thanks!

"Student Services" dosen't show up on portal probably because I havent paid the deposite yet... I'm guessing it will show up ounce I do that.

Thanks!

"Student Services" dosen't show up on portal probably because I havent paid the deposite yet... I'm guessing it will show up ounce I do that.

Yep you got it! Once you pay then it will be there

AWHH yeahhhh rotational site preference is out

Where did you guys pick? I have Phoenix East as #1

West valley #1 here :)

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

Hopefully we will all get first choice since we submitted already. When you submitted the form, did it give you any kind of message? It just directed me to midwestern.edu

Hopefully we will all get first choice since we submitted already. When you submitted the form, did it give you any kind of message? It just directed me to midwestern.edu

+1 :thumbup:

Yep it gave me the same redirect :)

Help!

I have no bearings to make a decision on where I want to do third year rotations! None of the hospitals or medical centers listed in each area sound at all familiar. Can anyone give me any insight at all?

Help!

I have no bearings to make a decision on where I want to do third year rotations! None of the hospitals or medical centers listed in each area sound at all familiar. Can anyone give me any insight at all?

Both east and west valley in phoenix have great hospitals for sure. Can't go wrong with either of them. I know nothing about the locations outside of phx... So ny opinion is biased :)

so im curious what happens during 4th year?

do we decide on our own where we want to go? is that when they do the rural stuff?

so im curious what happens during 4th year?

do we decide on our own where we want to go? is that when they do the rural stuff?

4th year has a couple of required rotations but most of it is used to so auditon rotations and away rotations for what ever residency you want to do.

Hello all! As it stands now I haven't heard from DMU yet, so it looks like I will probably be attending here. Accepted 12/13 as well. Paid and submitted rotation preference for west valley an hour after it was released.

My S/O and I are looking to buy a home close to campus sometime this spring, and we are interested in potentially renting out to a fellow classmate or couple for the duration of school (since hopefully I'll be local 1-3 years). I'll update more as the year progresses.

I requested to join the FB group, so if any admins are around please add me, Adam.

I hope to see you all soon!

Hello all! As it stands now I haven't heard from DMU yet, so it looks like I will probably be attending here. Accepted 12/13 as well. Paid and submitted rotation preference for west valley an hour after it was released.

My S/O and I are looking to buy a home close to campus sometime this spring, and we are interested in potentially renting out to a fellow classmate or couple for the duration of school (since hopefully I'll be local 1-3 years). I'll update more as the year progresses.

I requested to join the FB group, so if any admins are around please add me, Adam.

I hope to see you all soon!

Sweet man! Welcome.

hey so whats the total amount to time off they give for board prep?

i understand that the final quarter ends at noon and classes get toned down a bit before the board exams. is that true?