B for Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avinash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So its spring term soon and for fall and winter terms i got a B in my biology classes, im just a freshmen. Should i retake the clases and get try and get A's?

Members don't see this ad.

Ur still early in the game......just try to do better on your other courses.....u have plenty of time...just try to keep ur overall gpa above a 3.5 and have ur science gpa slightly higher.

avinash said:
So its spring term soon and for fall and winter terms i got a B in my biology classes, im just a freshmen. Should i retake the clases and get try and get A's?

I would re-take every single class you don't get an A in.

Seriously, a B isn't bad. Don't become an anal pre-med - you're just a freshman. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
chitown82 said:
I would re-take every single class you don't get an A in.

Seriously, a B isn't bad. Don't become an anal pre-med - you're just a freshman. :thumbup:

haha okay

how abt if it came down to this, i was a junior and my sceince gpa was like lets say a 3.5 or something, would it be a good idea then to retake the bio classes?

wow my school doesn't let anyone retake a class unless they failed it and even then the highest final grade they can get is a C woe is me :(

I had a similar situation (with C's instead of B's) and the grades will still be on your transcript - so you won't be hiding them from the med schools. All the schools I talked to would rather see you take a more advanced course your junior or senior year and get an A in that rather than retake a freshman level course.

Why bother? It's too late for you now. YOUR LIFE IS OVER! :rolleyes:
(I'm kidding, calm down a little bit)

Seriously, I would not even think about taking a B class over again. I think most schools almost expect that if you're going to have some B's it is going to be during your first semester of college. Everyone is adjusting. Just make sure you have an A-level understanding of the material before moving into higher, more difficult coures. :thumbup:

mdpdgirl said:
the grades will still be on your transcript - so you won't be hiding them from the med schools. All the schools I talked to would rather see you take a more advanced course your junior or senior year and get an A in that rather than retake a freshman level course.

True. True. And you will still have to report them on the AMCAS and they will be factored into your GPAs (science and overall). This is unlike DO, where if you retake the classes, the class with the lower grade gets dropped from for your app and is not included in your gpa calculations. So, in my opinion, it only pays to retake if you did REALLY BAD, like a D or something. A B is not bad.

PineappleGirl said:
True. True. And you will still have to report them on the AMCAS and they will be factored into your GPAs (science and overall). This is unlike DO, where if you retake the classes, the class with the lower grade gets dropped from for your app and is not included in your gpa calculations. So, in my opinion, it only pays to retake if you did REALLY BAD, like a D or something. A B is not bad.

Okay thanks for your advice, but its just that i get worried sometimes that poeple with excellent GPA'S and MCATS and other things dont get accepted and it concerns me that if i dont end up getting something as close to a A as i can that i wont get in....i think i being extremely paranoid... or maybe iv been on this site way too much

avinash said:

No. Re-taking a class should only be done if you've failed it (< C-). Make an effort to take a challenging curriculum and do well. Above all, make sure you take things you are interested in that could lead to research opportunities. Nobody cares about freshman biology, but if you can talk about something unique that you've done, you will be fine.

Don't worry, your grade is fine.

Yes- with those Bs you have no chance of getting into medical school

Chill out :) You're fine

avinash said:
Okay thanks for your advice, but its just that i get worried sometimes that poeple with excellent GPA'S and MCATS and other things dont get accepted and it concerns me that if i dont end up getting something as close to a A as i can that i wont get in....i think i being extremely paranoid... or maybe iv been on this site way too much

med schools don't care that much about individual grades. They care about your overall average because this is what makes them go up in the US news rankings. So just take something else and do well in it (something you *like*, it will help you get a good grade). :) Repeating a class doesn't sound very fun and you probably won't learn anything new.

God! Enjoy your summer- don't waste it trying to raise your GPA by 1/100 of a point!!!

Just relax and try to do better at higher level classes which will be considered more important. Due to a personal reason I didn't do too well in Organic 2 and was wondering if I should retake it. My pre-med advisor told me that med schools look at orgo to see how you will do in biochem and since I did well in my biochem class there was no reason to take organic 2 over. Just do better in higher classes.