Baby fentanyl OD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kryptocoin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Sad story. But it seems like the lay public and law enforcement still believes that fentanyl is absorbed transdermally or airborne?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfathomably tragic story. And if you think about it, could happen anywhere. Airbnb, hotel, restaurant… anywhere some druggie had gone before you and left some undetectable drug powder cut with fentanyl.

Unfathomably tragic story. And if you think about it, could happen anywhere. Airbnb, hotel, restaurant… anywhere some druggie had gone before you and left some undetectable drug powder cut with fentanyl.
Absolutely. Could happen anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sad story. But it seems like the lay public and law enforcement still believes that fentanyl is absorbed transdermally or airborne?
Well, it is absorbed transdermally - that's how the patches work. But it's quite unclear what happened in this case.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, it is absorbed transdermally - that's how the patches work. But it's quite unclear what happened in this case.
I was assuming you don't bring fentanyl patches to a drug party. Law enforcement and lay public still think that just coming into contact with fentanyl is enough to OD.

Nearly all of the fentanyl people are OD'ing on is not fentanyl patches. It is fentanyl powder that is either cut into cocaine or heroine to strengthen and stretch the supply or pressed into pills and sold as "oxycodone" when in fact it's fentanyl. Of course, the person making into pills has no clue how much fentanyl to actually put in a pill to equal an oxycodone tab. So sometimes it's too little. Sometimes it's too much, and the person dies.

Fentanyl is very easily made in illegal labs. The bulk is made in China, sold to the Mexican cartels and comes to the US via traditional drug trafficking pathways.

The great majority of OD deaths in the USA never come from a drug made by an actual pharmaceutical company, never go through an actual pharmacy, never are prescribed by an actual US physician, and never are dispensed to an actual patient with legitimate medical need.

Reactions: 2 users
I was assuming you don't bring fentanyl patches to a drug party. Law enforcement and lay public still think that just coming into contact with fentanyl is enough to OD.
Is your guess that the baby found a stray pill and ate it like babies will eat anything?

Or ate a fentanyl patch. Fentanyl patches are generally a very safe form of pain medication until you decide to ingest them, then holy hell are they a problem.
Or if you stick multiple patches on. There was an OB/GYN in my wife's hometown who died that way. When they found her, she had I believe 8 of them on her body.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Can you explain this more? What's this front-end loader? Is it at bus stops or subway stops?
1678123616478.png

Used in post-apocalyptic visual media to dump bodies into mass graves, indicative of death on a scale so large normal burial rites are not possible. Also feature in action movies (especially from Hong Kong) where the blade is often raised and used to deflect bullets Frequently confused with:
1678123946427.png

which is a bulldozer. These can also be used in the creation of mass graves and modified versions saw use in combat to fill in trenches during the first Gulf war.

Neither of these are to be confused with backhoes or excavators

Can you explain this more? What's this front-end loader? Is it at bus stops or subway stops?
They were just being silly and pointing out how there would be tons of dead people on public transit if fent were absorbed transdermally as easily as the public/media seems to think. There are no front end loaders.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They were just being silly and pointing out how there would be tons of dead people on public transit if fent were absorbed transdermally as easily as the public/media seems to think. There are no front end loaders.

Thanks for explaining! That whooshed over my head. I live in NYC and lately have been hearing all sorts of weird things from some of the more conservative folk about what they think is going on here, but I've never seen Xaelia post something so crazy, so thought maybe I am missing something lol.

Oh, I gave you a hmm..., because I thought you meant that there was no such thing as a front end loader!

• Haha
“She talks to angels, they call her out by her name.” – The Black Crowes.

Cat Lady

The radio crackles alive, “County General…we’ve got a 20-something female……just picked her up…..bagging….we’re at your back door…”

Boom! They slam through the double doors, and roll into room 8. Lying on the stretcher is a young thin woman. Beneath the mask over her face is a full head of golden wavy hair. I get to the head of the bed, and get ready to intubate her. I grab the bag and mask and start bagging her myself. “What have you given her, so far? Any narcan? D50?” I ask.

“No,” the paramedic says. “We just scooped her up and had just enough time to get her here and pop an IV in. Just lost pulses a few seconds ago. PEA.”

“Okay, give her some narcan and D50, while I get ready to intubate. Resume compressions! Etomidate, sux, scope…” roll off my tongue. I look down at the patient’s face again……blond, so young, hair and face like a movie star, except for the pale-bluish dying hue. She reminds me of Cat Woman from the old Batman comics. She’s just about dead and much too young to die. I don’t think I can handle another young patient death this week. I’m filling with dread, not from anything that has to do with the medical “case” in front of me, but because somewhere out there is an unsuspecting mother, husband or child that I’m going to have to tell that she is dead. There’s no way to candy-coat that news, and no matter how many times I do it, it still gives me chills.

The nurse has just given narcan. She starts to move. Is she trying to breath? I look at her face, it’s pinking up. Did we restrain her before the narcan? Damnit….we didn’t!

She VIOLENTLY sits up, blasting upwards towards my head, ripping the mask off her face, ripping out her IV and heaves forward. I’m looking straight at the back of her head and torso and she’s heaving forward violently grabbing at her own neck, making an awful guttural noise, contracting rhythmically. That noise, what’s that noise? I’m hearing my cat, she’s trying to vomit. Is this lady trying to gag up a hairball? Cat Lady.

“Blahhhhaaaaaacghck…..blaaa…..ughggh!”

I look beyond her and the nurses are staring back mortified, at the patient. “Ahhhhhh! Ahhhhhhh! Ahhhhhh!” this Cat Lady is screaming. “I’m dying here! Help me!!! Oh, the pain, s—t, the pain!!!”

I step around out from the head of the bed to the front of the patient to see what the nurses are looking at, and on the patient’s lap is a big, gooey, mucous-covered ball of something on her lap. Whatever it is, this patient was choking on it, it almost killed her and now she’s alive and well, though ready for vengeance. Why the heck is she screaming, now? This thing, whatever it is, is out of her, and she’s awoken from the dead.

I pick up the ball of goo and examine it. I start picking it apart. Why do I have to do this, this is disgusting? I should’ve been an accountant. Hairball, I think to myself, laughing a little bit inside. Just like my cat. It seems like a ball of wadded up plastic. What the heck is this thing? There’s writing on the plastic. What is it?

Is that an
“F—–, Fe—“?

“Fentanyl! Fentanyl!” yells one of the nurses looking over my shoulder, who can obviously read through bloody mucous much better than me. Fentanyl patches. It’s a big wadded up ball of too many fentanyl patches to count.

“I’m in pain!! Help me, I’m in F—–G PAIN!!!!” screams Cat Lady, who’s looking much more like the Wicked Witch of the West now, than the sultry cat woman of past comic books.

It all makes sense now. “Did you eat fentanyl patches? Why did you do that? What else did you take? Were you trying to kill yourself? Were you trying to get high? What happened?” I ask her.

“F- you, Doctor, or whatever you call yourself. Give me something for pain, NOW!” she demands.

“More of what almost just killed you? Absolutely not. If you want us to help you, tell us what happened. This is not a joke. You came seconds from dying. What happened?” I ask.

“I have no idea. I don’t remember a damn thing,” she says.

“Where did you get the patches? Are they yours, did your doctor prescribe them to you? Did you buy them on the street?” I ask.

“None of the above. Please, I’m begging you. Give me something for pain, anything. Please,” she begs.

“I can’t do that. In a few minutes the narcan we gave you will be wearing off. You’re likely to have plenty of pain medication still in your system at that point, and this withdrawal will wear off. You may have enough opiates in you to slip back into a coma again. You might need a narcan drip. We’ll just have to see,” I try to explain to her.

“Then let me out of here. Now! I’m signing out AMA. I’ve done it before. Give me the papers!” she demands.

“I cannot do that. As far as I am concerned, you tried to kill yourself, or at the very least, your judgment is still clouded by an overdose of pain medicine. You’re not going anywhere. It’s my job to hold you here until either you’re out of danger, or at least sober enough to make a rational decision,” I explain.

I walk out of the room. By this time, security is already at the door, and there is no way she’s getting out of here. I go back to my desk, to think this through. This patient is not going to be easy. She’s demanding to leave, which I cannot allow if she’s suicidal. If this was accidental, and she still insists upon leaving, I at least need to know all of what is in her system. I also need to know when it is fully out of her system before I can be sure that she’s clinically sober and able to make a rational decision, if she’s going to refuse care. The best thing is to get her admitted.

A few minutes pass by and she’s much calmer. We keep her on a cardiac monitor, on some oxygen and watch her. She agrees to have some labs drawn and a urine sample. As the narcan wears off, she drifts off to sleep, but her vitals remain normal. I call the hospitalist to admit her. A few minutes later, off she goes to her room. The rest my shift goes uneventfully, if that’s even possible for an ER shift.

A few days later, Dr. Goodwin, the one who admitted her is down in the ED again. I ask him, “How did that lady do, the one who almost choked to death on the fentanyl patches?”

“Oh, yeah, how could I forget? She slept it off, sobered up and signed out AMA. Psych saw her and agreed she was no longer intoxicated and was competent to make that decision. She never even needed another dose of narcan. She wouldn’t tell anyone anything about anything. She denied being suicidal, denied having any drug problem, and refused a referral for either substance abuse help or psychiatry. But, get this: before she left, she demanded I give her cash,” he chuckled out loud. “Cash! Can you believe that?”

“She hit you up for cash? Really?” I ask. “I suppose there was no, ‘Thanks, you’re the best doctor in the world’ to go with it?”

“Uh, no. She told me I was ‘ruining her life.’ I suppose she didn’t run down to the ER and tell you, ‘Thanks, for saving my life, Doc!’” says Dr. Goodwin, with a cynical and jaded smirk.

“Are you kidding? Uh…no,” I answer.

“I figured not. She told me she was reporting all of us to the State Medical Board and getting a lawyer to sue us and the hospital out of business. Yeah, you should have seen her, man. She ran out of here like she was on fire. She sure was in a hurry. Said she had somebody real important she had to meet up with.”

clearly fabricated, as in the dangers of NYC one needs a Dozer-tank, as seen below.
1678145042360.png

Cat Lady

The radio crackles alive, “County General…we’ve got a 20-something female……just picked her up…..bagging….we’re at your back door…”

Boom! They slam through the double doors, and roll into room 8. Lying on the stretcher is a young thin woman. Beneath the mask over her face is a full head of golden wavy hair. I get to the head of the bed, and get ready to intubate her. I grab the bag and mask and start bagging her myself. “What have you given her, so far? Any narcan? D50?” I ask.

“No,” the paramedic says. “We just scooped her up and had just enough time to get her here and pop an IV in. Just lost pulses a few seconds ago. PEA.”

“Okay, give her some narcan and D50, while I get ready to intubate. Resume compressions! Etomidate, sux, scope…” roll off my tongue. I look down at the patient’s face again……blond, so young, hair and face like a movie star, except for the pale-bluish dying hue. She reminds me of Cat Woman from the old Batman comics. She’s just about dead and much too young to die. I don’t think I can handle another young patient death this week. I’m filling with dread, not from anything that has to do with the medical “case” in front of me, but because somewhere out there is an unsuspecting mother, husband or child that I’m going to have to tell that she is dead. There’s no way to candy-coat that news, and no matter how many times I do it, it still gives me chills.

The nurse has just given narcan. She starts to move. Is she trying to breath? I look at her face, it’s pinking up. Did we restrain her before the narcan? Damnit….we didn’t!

She VIOLENTLY sits up, blasting upwards towards my head, ripping the mask off her face, ripping out her IV and heaves forward. I’m looking straight at the back of her head and torso and she’s heaving forward violently grabbing at her own neck, making an awful guttural noise, contracting rhythmically. That noise, what’s that noise? I’m hearing my cat, she’s trying to vomit. Is this lady trying to gag up a hairball? Cat Lady.

I look beyond her and the nurses are staring back mortified, at the patient. “Ahhhhhh! Ahhhhhhh! Ahhhhhh!” this Cat Lady is screaming. “I’m dying here! Help me!!! Oh, the pain, s—t, the pain!!!”

I step around out from the head of the bed to the front of the patient to see what the nurses are looking at, and on the patient’s lap is a big, gooey, mucous-covered ball of something on her lap. Whatever it is, this patient was choking on it, it almost killed her and now she’s alive and well, though ready for vengeance. Why the heck is she screaming, now? This thing, whatever it is, is out of her, and she’s awoken from the dead.

I pick up the ball of goo and examine it. I start picking it apart. Why do I have to do this, this is disgusting? I should’ve been an accountant. Hairball, I think to myself, laughing a little bit inside. Just like my cat. It seems like a ball of wadded up plastic. What the heck is this thing? There’s writing on the plastic. What is it?

Is that an
“F—–, Fe—“?

“Fentanyl! Fentanyl!” yells one of the nurses looking over my shoulder, who can obviously read through bloody mucous much better than me. Fentanyl patches. It’s a big wadded up ball of too many fentanyl patches to count.

“I’m in pain!! Help me, I’m in F—–G PAIN!!!!” screams Cat Lady, who’s looking much more like the Wicked Witch of the West now, than the sultry cat woman of past comic books.

It all makes sense now. “Did you eat fentanyl patches? Why did you do that? What else did you take? Were you trying to kill yourself? Were you trying to get high? What happened?” I ask her.

“F- you, Doctor, or whatever you call yourself. Give me something for pain, NOW!” she demands.

“More of what almost just killed you? Absolutely not. If you want us to help you, tell us what happened. This is not a joke. You came seconds from dying. What happened?” I ask.

“Where did you get the patches? Are they yours, did your doctor prescribe them to you? Did you buy them on the street?” I ask.

“None of the above. Please, I’m begging you. Give me something for pain, anything. Please,” she begs.

“I can’t do that. In a few minutes the narcan we gave you will be wearing off. You’re likely to have plenty of pain medication still in your system at that point, and this withdrawal will wear off. You may have enough opiates in you to slip back into a coma again. You might need a narcan drip. We’ll just have to see,” I try to explain to her.

“Then let me out of here. Now! I’m signing out AMA. I’ve done it before. Give me the papers!” she demands.

“I cannot do that. As far as I am concerned, you tried to kill yourself, or at the very least, your judgment is still clouded by an overdose of pain medicine. You’re not going anywhere. It’s my job to hold you here until either you’re out of danger, or at least sober enough to make a rational decision,” I explain.

I walk out of the room. By this time, security is already at the door, and there is no way she’s getting out of here. I go back to my desk, to think this through. This patient is not going to be easy. She’s demanding to leave, which I cannot allow if she’s suicidal. If this was accidental, and she still insists upon leaving, I at least need to know all of what is in her system. I also need to know when it is fully out of her system before I can be sure that she’s clinically sober and able to make a rational decision, if she’s going to refuse care. The best thing is to get her admitted.

A few minutes pass by and she’s much calmer. We keep her on a cardiac monitor, on some oxygen and watch her. She agrees to have some labs drawn and a urine sample. As the narcan wears off, she drifts off to sleep, but her vitals remain normal. I call the hospitalist to admit her. A few minutes later, off she goes to her room. The rest my shift goes uneventfully, if that’s even possible for an ER shift.

A few days later, Dr. Goodwin, the one who admitted her is down in the ED again. I ask him, “How did that lady do, the one who almost choked to death on the fentanyl patches?”

“Oh, yeah, how could I forget? She slept it off, sobered up and signed out AMA. Psych saw her and agreed she was no longer intoxicated and was competent to make that decision. She never even needed another dose of narcan. She wouldn’t tell anyone anything about anything. She denied being suicidal, denied having any drug problem, and refused a referral for either substance abuse help or psychiatry. But, get this: before she left, she demanded I give her cash,” he chuckled out loud. “Cash! Can you believe that?”

“She hit you up for cash? Really?” I ask. “I suppose there was no, ‘Thanks, you’re the best doctor in the world’ to go with it?”

“Uh, no. She told me I was ‘ruining her life.’ I suppose she didn’t run down to the ER and tell you, ‘Thanks, for saving my life, Doc!’” says Dr. Goodwin, with a cynical and jaded smirk.

“I figured not. She told me she was reporting all of us to the State Medical Board and getting a lawyer to sue us and the hospital out of business. Yeah, you should have seen her, man. She ran out of here like she was on fire. She sure was in a hurry. Said she had somebody real important she had to meet up with.”
Oldie but a goldie.

Cat Lady

Is that an
“F—–, Fe—“?

Reminds me of a very pleasant military vet who came to the ER for medical clearance for psych for SI. He told me about his time in the service, how he fell on hard times after getting back from Iraq, how he had a loaded gun in his night stand at home and if he went home he knew he’d use it. He was using - started with pills and then fentanyl. PCd and totally cool about it. “Yes sir. Thank you sir. Can I have some water please? Thank you. Go Hurricanes.” And throws up the U.

He’s in a hall bed across from my desk. Suddenly sats drop to the 80s. Gets narcaned and pops right back up. “Oh yea doc. I did the last of my supply before coming in.” Fair enough.

20 minutes later I look up and the dude is BLUE. Run over, he had a 1:1 sitter but she was watching tiktok. Not breathing. No pulse. Start compressions. Push one then two doses of code cart narcan and he comes back to life. Pink as a rose and asks what happened, apologizes for the inconvenience of his hall bed cardiac arrest.

So I asked the dude…you “did the last of your supply” before coming, what did that entail? It entailed swallowing 6 solid sized baggies of fentanyl powder. He bit each one of them exactly once so it would be slow release. Sadly not how that works. Got a narcan drip, admitted, went to psych, and actually did well. He still follows in their outpatient bupe program.

Reminds me of a very pleasant military vet who came to the ER for medical clearance for psych for SI. He told me about his time in the service, how he fell on hard times after getting back from Iraq, how he had a loaded gun in his night stand at home and if he went home he knew he’d use it. He was using - started with pills and then fentanyl. PCd and totally cool about it. “Yes sir. Thank you sir. Can I have some water please? Thank you. Go Hurricanes.” And throws up the U.

He’s in a hall bed across from my desk. Suddenly sats drop to the 80s. Gets narcaned and pops right back up. “Oh yea doc. I did the last of my supply before coming in.” Fair enough.

20 minutes later I look up and the dude is BLUE. Run over, he had a 1:1 sitter but she was watching tiktok. Not breathing. No pulse. Start compressions. Push one then two doses of code cart narcan and he comes back to life. Pink as a rose and asks what happened, apologizes for the inconvenience of his hall bed cardiac arrest.

So I asked the dude…you “did the last of your supply” before coming, what did that entail? It entailed swallowing 6 solid sized baggies of fentanyl powder. He bit each one of them exactly once so it would be slow release. Sadly not how that works. Got a narcan drip, admitted, went to psych, and actually did well. He still follows in their outpatient bupe program.

did the sitter get chewed out?

We all (not just doctors, ALL of us) should be carrying intranasal narcan on our persons as a routine.

We all (not just doctors, ALL of us) should be carrying intranasal narcan on our persons as a routine.

Uhm, no.
I deal with enough everyday.
I'm not also making everyone else's resuscitative needs my responsibility when I'm out for mall Chinese food.

Reactions: 2 users
Uhm, no.
I deal with enough everyday.
I'm not also making everyone else's resuscitative needs my responsibility when I'm out for mall Chinese food.
You do you, I'll do me. Once I can buy it OTC I'm going to buy one fr each of my kids to carry as well.

I'm also the kind of person who let's the flight attendant know I'm an ER Doc when I board a plane.

The only thing I'll disagree with about your post is your choice of the word "responsibility". I don't see it as a responsibility, rather I see it as an opportunity.

I understand that not everyone wants to live the way I do.

You do you, I'll do me. Once I can buy it OTC I'm going to buy one fr each of my kids to carry as well.

I'm also the kind of person who let's the flight attendant know I'm an ER Doc when I board a plane.

The only thing I'll disagree with about your post is your choice of the word "responsibility". I don't see it as a responsibility, rather I see it as an opportunity.

That's well and good until the powers that be make it a "requirement" and there's an expectation of you, with accompanying responsibility foisted upon you.

That's well and good until the powers that be make it a "requirement" and there's an expectation of you, with accompanying responsibility foisted upon you.
Well that's a different thing entirely and not something I'd support.

Friendly bit of advice - don't get your Chinese food fix at the mall!

Well that's a different thing entirely and not something I'd support.

Friendly bit of advice - don't get your Chinese food fix at the mall!

Disagree on point (2).
Mandarin Express is my jam. All the sodiums.
You know what the best part is??
They undercook the veggies. Yeaaah.

• Haha
One of our terrible nights full of boarders, several of them ICU level and actively trying to die, the hospitalist and her residents would hang out with us in the ED unless something was going on. She's returning a page and gets a funny look on her face: "They did what? Well, call the pharmacy for a Narcan drip and I'm on my way up." Apparently, an ICU patient shot up the heroin they had stashed in their purse into their central line and had promptly went into respiratory arrest.

You let the flight attendant know you’re an ER doc when you board the plane?! I feel like that could be a regrettable decision, like ending up sitting next to someone with a panic attack for 6 hours

You let the flight attendant know you’re an ER doc when you board the plane?! I feel like that could be a regrettable decision, like ending up sitting next to someone with a panic attack for 6 hours
Yeah, I do. You also aren't wrong!