Back again. Non-Trad, 3.1 GPA in rehab mode.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedMommy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I posted here last in 2011. I took a little while to get my footing and get the guts to go for it, but I'm in. I'm going to do it. I'm a 31-yr-old married mother. I have a 5-yr-old son with Cystic Fibrosis and Short Bowel Syndrome, but he is a miracle kid. No Hospitalizations in years, never had CF related pneumonia, and thriving so well despite his short bowel that he will have his mickey button removed by the end of the year.

I am currently working full-time as a Nurse Tech in a local Neuro/Trauma/Surgical ICU and have around 1000 hours under my belt now. I'm more certain than ever that this is the field for me. A couple of hospitalists in the unit I work in have taken me under their wing and encouraged me. I'll begin formally shadowing two of them beginning next week and rack up around 80 hours of shadowing experience before the end of June. I plan on shadowing a surgeon too before the end of the summer. I'll begin knocking out my 2 remaining semesters of science prereqs this fall. Our house is on the market so we are mobilized to go wherever I'm accepted. I have a list of schools I think it's reasonable to assume I can get into if I do well on the MCAT.

Currently have around a 3.1 GPA. I still have a significant number of science classes left to take that should raise my GPA some more. Aiming for at least a 32 on the MCAT and hoping for more.

I have reccs lined up numbering somewhere around 8 at the moment. As long as I get interviews (I've always interviewed well I think/hope), I'm thinking my chances are good to get into OU, OSU, or UNO/UNMC... which are my top choices. I'll apply more broadly than that, but that's what I'm hoping for.

My mother-in-law is about 2 years away from retiring from being a school teacher and is planning on moving to wherever we are to take care of our son while I'm in med school. My husband has been a big part of encouraging me to go for it and take the MCAT rather than settling for PA school. I am going to give it my best shot and try to make this happen.

As for ECs, I'm a triathlete/distance runner, have loads of volunteer/mentoring experience, and volunteer currently with my church's free medical clinic. I'm well-traveled, an artist in my off-time, and a degreed graphic designer with an emphasis in marketing management. Would it benefit me to improve upon any secondary language other than Spanish? (French is what I'm inclined towards and have some understanding of.)

I think I have a plan fairly lined out now, but I wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else had suggestions or comments as to what I could do to improve my application/ECs/etc. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. I posted here last in 2011. I took a little while to get my footing and get the guts to go for it, but I'm in. I'm going to do it. I'm a 31-yr-old married mother. I have a 5-yr-old son with Cystic Fibrosis and Short Bowel Syndrome, but he is a miracle kid. No Hospitalizations in years, never had CF related pneumonia, and thriving so well despite his short bowel that he will have his mickey button removed by the end of the year.

I am currently working full-time as a Nurse Tech in a local Neuro/Trauma/Surgical ICU and have around 1000 hours under my belt now. I'm more certain than ever that this is the field for me. A couple of hospitalists in the unit I work in have taken me under their wing and encouraged me. I'll begin formally shadowing two of them beginning next week and rack up around 80 hours of shadowing experience before the end of June. I plan on shadowing a surgeon too before the end of the summer. I'll begin knocking out my 2 remaining semesters of science prereqs this fall. Our house is on the market so we are mobilized to go wherever I'm accepted. I have a list of schools I think it's reasonable to assume I can get into if I do well on the MCAT.

Currently have around a 3.1 GPA. I still have a significant number of science classes left to take that should raise my GPA some more. Aiming for at least a 32 on the MCAT and hoping for more.

You'll need to gett hat GPA >3.4 to be compoetitive for the OH MD schools. The DO school will give you a bit more love, as will other DO programs.

I have reccs lined up numbering somewhere around 8 at the moment. As long as I get interviews (I've always interviewed well I think/hope), I'm thinking my chances are good to get into OU, OSU, or UNO/UNMC... which are my top choices. I'll apply more broadly than that, but that's what I'm hoping for.

My mother-in-law is about 2 years away from retiring from being a school teacher and is planning on moving to wherever we are to take care of our son while I'm in med school. My husband has been a big part of encouraging me to go for it and take the MCAT rather than settling for PA school. I am going to give it my best shot and try to make this happen.

As for ECs, I'm a triathlete/distance runner, have loads of volunteer/mentoring experience, and volunteer currently with my church's free medical clinic. I'm well-traveled, an artist in my off-time, and a degreed graphic designer with an emphasis in marketing management. Would it benefit me to improve upon any secondary language other than Spanish? (French is what I'm inclined towards and have some understanding of.)

I think I have a plan fairly lined out now, but I wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else had suggestions or comments as to what I could do to improve my application/ECs/etc. Thanks in advance!

Sorry... should have been clearer. University of Oklahoma (MD). Oklahoma State University (yes, this one is DO)... not OH.