Back up power for C -arm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bronchospasm

Interventional Pain Physician
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has looked jnto gettkng a portable battery / power pack that you could use to run your C Arm incase of power failure. We have lost power for an hour today as well as last month. Looking into options to run your C arm. Renting so backup gen is not an option.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know what the average kilowatt-hour rating is for your C-arm? It’ll probably need something way bigger than your average home backup power station, maybe something like a Tesla powerwall.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on which c-arm and how long you want power for. You can have batteries that store power enough to finish a case, but not run it for hours or days I don’t think. Some of the APC surge protectors with battery backup will tell you their holding capacity. You would probably need one of the biggest ones they make. Or ask an electrician for something custom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what the average kilowatt-hour rating is for your C-arm? It’ll probably need something way bigger than your average home backup power station, maybe something like a Tesla powerwall.
This is a good place to start. See…..we don’t need govt.

Depending on your building a natural gas generator would be a better option. I have one for my house and it turns on automatically when there is an outage.

Reactions: 2 users
I was curious about this also as my power went off mid RFA (prior to burning) the other day but thankfully returned 30 seconds later. My building does not have a generator also.

Depending on your building a natural gas generator would be a better option. I have one for my house and it turns on automatically when there is an outage.
I like this best because it isn't just a C-arm issue. You'd want a whole clinic backup

Yeah NG generators are good if it's allowed at your building. Usually during an outage that gas flow is still maintained. In industrial applications, they probably would use a diesel generator. Both types still require maintenance with oil changes, practice runs, etc. If you want power for the entire clinic it's ideal, but if it's just for the C-arm it's overkill. Also, if you someday leave that building, no one really takes those industrial type generators with them.

If you're ok with a higher upfront cost and live somewhere that gets enough sunlight (see map), then a solar generator with rooftop panels might be worth considering. It's way less maintenance and might even get some federal/state/municipal tax breaks. Even easier would be a rolling power station (like this) that just stays charged from a wall outlet.

First thing is to figure out if you really want backup power for just the C-arm or the whole clinic. Then see what your building/local codes will allow for power generation. The A/C probably draws the most power followed by the C-arm. Can also ask for an electrician familiar with generators/solar/power stations, etc.

I have Two procedure rooms. Phillips Pulsera C-arm x 2 . 3000 sq ft Clinic. Usually, have lost power for a few hours about twice a year. Once during winter weather storm and maybe during tornado weather. Usually disruption is minimal but this year, I had to cancel half a procedure day. I think that it might be worth it if saves me about 1 day of work. Anxiety reduction is probably worth more than actually loosing power. I think that I am going to look at a gas generator for the whole clinic. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-Guardian-24000-Watt-LP-21000-Watt-NG-Standby-Generator/5013245835

I have Two procedure rooms. Phillips Pulsera C-arm x 2 . 3000 sq ft Clinic. Usually, have lost power for a few hours about twice a year. Once during winter weather storm and maybe during tornado weather. Usually disruption is minimal but this year, I had to cancel half a procedure day. I think that it might be worth it if saves me about 1 day of work. Anxiety reduction is probably worth more than actually loosing power. I think that I am going to look at a gas generator for the whole clinic. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-Guardian-24000-Watt-LP-21000-Watt-NG-Standby-Generator/5013245835
Electrician patient of mine told me the ones Costco carries are good.

Take a look at the models offered at Harbor Freight. My electrician swears by them. I have a Honda clone 3500 watt true sine wave that I use at home.

No guys. You need a natural gas generator, not a gasoline generator. Generac. You need a plumber and an electrician to permanently install it.