Backup plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrevetGA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many of you, still waiting to hear back from schools.

In the meantime I've been thinking about backup plans after graduation in case I don't get in this cycle. Any ideas for having a quality experience for an "undesired gap" year before reapplying next year?

I want to make money in anticipation of loans but also want to do something that will be interesting. I'm pursuing zoo/wildlife medicine so working in a clinic for a year doesn't really appeal to me. Any ideas would be great! Or just tips to mentally prepare for denial!

Members don't see this ad.

You could apply to zoo/wildlife internships!

I'm pursuing zoo/wildlife medicine so working in a clinic for a year doesn't really appeal to me.

I can't really think of too many exotic/wildlife opportunities that would help make you money. I'm assuming you have a bachelors. Is that right?

I know there's a few free wildlife externships around, but I haven't seen any that are paid. Are you sure you don't want any small animal clinic experience? Good money and benefits usually if you have pets. You'd get some clinical experience too which.. in my opinion ..has been invaluable experience in my life. I feel I've learned a lot just by working with the doctors on a part-time basis. You may even get a good letter of reference out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try to find an exotic hospital in your area!

Reactions: 1 user
Increasing your experiences are always a good option.
For your interests, have you tried looking into whether there's a wildlife rehab center somewhere nearby? Those places are always looking for volunteers and it's pretty fun! It's not paid, but you can do it in addition with a part time job, or only volunteer on the weekend.

You could also check the AZA job board. Right now there are some level I keeper positions open that you just need your bachelor's for.

You could also check the AZA job board. Right now there are some level I keeper positions open that you just need your bachelor's for.

I check the AZA website almost every day just to see what jobs are open. It makes me depressed because I know I can't apply to any of them, but I still love to see them :p

Like many of you, still waiting to hear back from schools.

In the meantime I've been thinking about backup plans after graduation in case I don't get in this cycle. Any ideas for having a quality experience for an "undesired gap" year before reapplying next year?

I want to make money in anticipation of loans but also want to do something that will be interesting. I'm pursuing zoo/wildlife medicine so working in a clinic for a year doesn't really appeal to me. Any ideas would be great! Or just tips to mentally prepare for denial!
If you're willing to travel, I'd go for an internship at The New England Wildlife Center in South Weymouth, MA. Best experience ever. You are literally "the vet" except during surgical procedures, you just assist. Housing is 50$ a week at the center. PM for details :).

Reactions: 1 users
If you're willing to travel, I'd go for an internship at The New England Wildlife Center in South Weymouth, MA. Best experience ever. You are literally "the vet" except during surgical procedures, you just assist. Housing is 50$ a week at the center. PM for details :).

Cape Wildlife Center through the Humane Society in Barnstable, MA also has a similar set up. Housing is free, but you don't make any money.

Another option is to check out the Texas A&M job board. There are many seasonal opportunities listed there and many of them do in fact pay with housing included. Granted, these are more wildlife management/technician type positions BUT it would be a great way to gain experience in the wildlife world. That site is responsible for every wildlife experience I have had over the years!

I worked both in a Large and small animal clinic after graduation. Not sure where you live, but I would try and work at a Veterinary School if possible. It is a great way to network and it will still expose you to new areas of the industry.

If I don't get in this year, I plan on going to get my masters in Biomedical engineering and then apply next cycle.;)

Working in a clinic can be a valuable experience even if you are interested in zoo/wildlife. You'll still be learning medical stuff, plus interests change all the time in vet school, and zoo is a tough road to go down, so it's not a bad idea to familiarize yourself with a setting that could end up being your backup. Plus you're a lot more likely to find a paying job as a tech or assistant in a clinic than in zoo/wildlife. That's why I'm working in small animal right now and doing volunteer work on the side.

There are exotic animal clinics. I have one down the street from me. You could also look into wildlife rehabilitation centers. They usually are close with a vet. That's how I got some connections with a raptor vet

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/...ary-hospital-internship-fall-2016/391/1364919 If you qualify for this, I highly recommend it. It is paid.

Also seconding that you still consider SA clinical experience. It's still helpful!
holy crap I am so totally applying for this...

Another shoutout to the other suggestions for internships/the Texas A&M job board. I just applied for an A&M-system lab tech position near me last week, but these will all be great to look into.

holy crap I am so totally applying for this...

Another shoutout to the other suggestions for internships/the Texas A&M job board. I just applied for an A&M-system lab tech position near me last week, but these will all be great to look into.
Good luck! I miss it every day.