Bad academic past

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ldurham16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in community college at BCTC in KY. I used to go to EKU but was academically put on probation. I have even been suspended for a semester so I basically bottomed out my first year and half of college. I am currently trying to make stellar grades and make my profile look good before I transfer over to UK. I need to know if I do well now until I graduate what are even my chances of getting into medical school if it is even a possibility at this point

Members don't see this ad.

It is a possibility, but a drastic change from academic probation to multiple years of straight A's does not usually happen with a flip of a switch.

Some things to think about. Why did you get these grades? How are you going to change to make multiple semesters of nothing but A's happen? Classes won't get easier.

At the end of the day, some people in your position got into medical school, and some didn't. Those that got in not were not only able to get the grades, but they also did well on the MCAT and had a nice list of extracurricular activities.

EDIT: If it is a few F's making your GPA really bad, make sure not to overlook the grade replacement at some DO schools. (Some DO schools are much less forgiving than others, so you would need to do some research on this topic)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ace everything from now on and there are plenty of medical schools that reward reinvention.

I am currently in community college at BCTC in KY. I used to go to EKU but was academically put on probation. I have even been suspended for a semester so I basically bottomed out my first year and half of college. I am currently trying to make stellar grades and make my profile look good before I transfer over to UK. I need to know if I do well now until I graduate what are even my chances of getting into medical school if it is even a possibility at this point

Anything is possible, take it slow from here. Go to an academic counselor and identify why you did poorly. Fix the issues, create good study habits, and follow through SLOWLY, do not take a full course load right away but ease into it.

Certainly possible, I have to wonder what's changed in you that will make the difference. I had a year of Fs at 18, went back to college at 24 and made all As and got my degree in 3 years. I applied with an overall 3.19 GPA/37MCAT and, although I definitely didn't get as many interviews as I would have if I didn't have that past, I was able to get into a US MD school first application cycle. So, from my personal experience and as others have said here: it's possible. You shouldn't be asking yourself if you can get in acing everything from here on out, but asking yourself if you will ace everything from here on out.