Bad experience at the dentist today. Is this normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanLaser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just passed 26 so I no longer am on my parent's insurance. I have a high deductible crappy plan of my own. I decided to go to the dentist today because they had an offer of 59 dollars for xrays and cleaning. I went there today, got my xrays taken and then the dentist refused to do my routine cleaning. He said I had SRP and needed deep cleaning which will cost me 400 dollars.

I didn't really like the price and I said forget it! However the dental office wouldn't let me leave until I paid the 49 dollars for the "examination" without the cleaning. The dentist said that he can't just do a normal cleaning knowing I had gum disease because that can cause him to lose his license. So basically now I got no cleaning done whatsoever and I'm down 49 dollars. Is this legal?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually you do the SRP before the cleaning to control infection/disease/calculus. Then, you wait 4-6 weeks after the completion of the SRP to re-evaluate to see if any improvement has been made. If he was really nice he could have charged you for the SRP and did a quick cleaning on the rest of the teeth free of charge but that's not usually how it works and he is not obligated to do that.

Scaling and root planing = stopping the progression of disease
Prophylaxis = preventing the disease

You need to control and stop the infection in your mouth first before you can maintain a healthy state. He needs to work on reversing your gum disease which requires more than just a simple prophy.

Theoretically, he can have you sign a waiver stating that you would not like full periodontal intervention to protect himself but thats a whole 'nother topic for discussion

if that makes any sense..

This is all normal. You can always go to another dentist for a second opinion, but you aren't being ripped off.

And if you sit in the dentist's chair, you are taking up his time, and he is allowed to charge for that. He had to do an examination to determine that you needed SRP, so he is charged you for that service. Of course it is legal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think $49 is quiet cheap.. The dentist you went to is a good guy, and professional. Putting finances out of the equation, once you start a patient-doctor relationship, he becomes responsible of your oral health and he is obligated, not just by ethics and professionalism, but by law to do and follow the best for your oral health.. which in your case control the gum disease first (SRP) and then maintain the gum health (cleaning) when they become healthy. Even if you signed a paper that you don't want the SRP, this can jeopardize his license and he has the right to not proceed.

FYI, gum diseases are the main reason why people lose their teeth, not decay.

Bottom line, he is a good guy, $49 for the time of a DDS is cheap

Get rid of cheap insurance and get a PPO plan - you will be much happier. From my experience, majority of dentists, who accept "cheap"plans and give this kind of promotions are dishonestly ripping patients off. Example. When we had "cheap insurance" Delta Care USA, when we were assigned to one dentist the cleaning cost was $800 instead of $25 and bridge $4500 instead of $750. I did not know better, because in Canada, where I moved from dental coverage is very different. I think the system is at fault, because it forces dentists to accept this kind of plans and later face the reality. For example, according to my first plan the PFM crown was suppose to cost only $250. I know, that only the lab fee for the dentist will be more then that

New definition of a "good" (dentist) "guy": one who charges $49 for exam/x-rays. In this case a $59 exam/cleaning became $459.

SRP is different from regular cleaning and is a more elaborate procedure therefore it costs more. Some insurances have to first approve the procedure before they will agree to cover it.

50$ for exam-only is pretty much standard. If he was gonna charge you 59 for x-rays, cleaning, and probably the exam he is a very generous dentist

Why dentists advertise things like that, if they are not hoping to fool some naive people? In my case PPO cleaning cost $100 covered by insurance and HMO costs $800 out of pocket. Same patient, same condition, but different dentists and different plans. In the long run it is better to have PPO
Good dentist is an honest dentist and not the one, who first sign the agreement with insurance company to provide crowns for $250( which is not fair in the first place) and after charges patients $1500 per crown with some bogus additional charges. Does owning the FERRARI is more important then going to hell?

I have just passed 26 so I no longer am on my parent's insurance. I have a high deductible crappy plan of my own. I decided to go to the dentist today because they had an offer of 59 dollars for xrays and cleaning. I went there today, got my xrays taken and then the dentist refused to do my routine cleaning. He said I had SRP and needed deep cleaning which will cost me 400 dollars.

I didn't really like the price and I said forget it! However the dental office wouldn't let me leave until I paid the 49 dollars for the "examination" without the cleaning. The dentist said that he can't just do a normal cleaning knowing I had gum disease because that can cause him to lose his license. So basically now I got no cleaning done whatsoever and I'm down 49 dollars. Is this legal?
Word of advice, you should also brush your gums to avoid gingivitis. Surprisingly many people dont know

Reactions: 1 user
This site isn't a place to seek out treatment advice

That being said, I can say that personally I have seen lots of people over the years who present to my office for a 2nd opinion after having gone to an office that offers things such as were offered at the place you went to (discounted exams, free x-rays, etc) and they are often amazed at how different (and way more times than not cost effective) my "full fee" treatment plans are

Status
Not open for further replies.