This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katherinermarie

Reaction score
Ok guys I’m finally going to post...

I’ve been lurking for a while but recently made an account.

I am a Texas resident who attended a public Texas school. I graduated with a PRETTY bad gpa, 2.6 in Biology. I honestly don’t even know what my science GPA is. My initial goal when graduating high school was medical school ~hence the bio major~ but ended up going through some personal things that deterred me along the way. My dad attempted suicide days before my first Ochem I test my sophomore year, which pretty much messed me up mentally for years. I also happened to be in an abusive relationship throughout most of my college years - I won’t get into the other stuff. Anyways every semester was pretty bad, except my final one where my gpa was a 3.7 (yay...). Oddly enough I took my MCAT early my sophomore year and got a 33 (old scale) which I believe is a 513/514.

Over the last few semester I’ve been doing a diy post-bacc of all my poor science grades at a *different* university in Dallas and my gpa for that is almost a 3.9 with about 35 credits. I also have been working from home full time as a project manager at a biotechnology company and have been shadowing a dermatologist (looking to add a plastic as well). I also have some research experience from undergrad (plan to find a lab and add more soon) and I have recent experience as a medical assistant. I plan to retake the MCAT in the next year since my score is expired.

Anyways, super long post - but do you guys think I even have a chance at a Texas School? I know University of Houston is opening a new med school with a possible 2020 class and a few Texas schools May/May not have a holistic approach? Any clue which schools may be the most receptive to my type of situation?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do really well on the MCAT. Post bacc will show an upward trend and show your current potential. Try to shadow a family medicine physician. Not just doctors with specialty. Good luck. I faced the same issue with my mother. I understand exactly how difficult something like that can be. I am applying to a dozen post bacc or SMP programs myself for next year. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, I don't think you have a great chance at a Texas MD school. They are super competitive and with the fresh start program you have a lot of even higher GPA applicants than usual. If you get to a 3.0+, then it's possible, but I think it's unlikely.

You will have a chance at DO school with a 3.0+ and a good MCAT, though. Your post bacc will help show reinvention.

Members don't see this ad :)
Continue to take additional undergraduate level science courses until your sGPA and cGPA are over 3.0 . If you are able to score the same on your repeat MCAT (513) you could receive DO interviews and possibly MD interviews.

I am a Texas resident who attended a public Texas school. I graduated with a PRETTY bad gpa, 2.6 in Biology. I honestly don’t even know what my science GPA is. My initial goal when graduating high school was medical school ~hence the bio major~ but ended up going through some personal things that deterred me along the way. My dad attempted suicide days before my first Ochem I test my sophomore year, which pretty much messed me up mentally for years. I also happened to be in an abusive relationship throughout most of my college years - I won’t get into the other stuff. Anyways every semester was pretty bad, except my final one where my gpa was a 3.7 (yay...). Oddly enough I took my MCAT early my sophomore year and got a 33 (old scale) which I believe is a 513/514.

Over the last few semester I’ve been doing a diy post-bacc of all my poor science grades at a *different* university in Dallas and my gpa for that is almost a 3.9 with about 35 credits. I also have been working from home full time as a project manager at a biotechnology company and have been shadowing a dermatologist (looking to add a plastic as well). I also have some research experience from undergrad (plan to find a lab and add more soon) and I have recent experience as a medical assistant. I plan to retake the MCAT in the next year since my score is expired.

Anyways, super long post - but do you guys think I even have a chance at a Texas School? I know University of Houston is opening a new med school with a possible 2020 class and a few Texas schools May/May not have a holistic approach? Any clue which schools may be the most receptive to my type of situation?

Thanks in advance!!
Yup, chances very good, esp. at UTx SA. But MCAT will make or break you. You will need to have DO schools on your list as a reinventor.

Yup, chances very good, esp. at UTx SA. But MCAT will make or break you. You will need to have DO schools on your list as a reinventor.
Wow, the legendary Goro. Definitely studying your guides right now haha. Thank you for the response! I dont know if you know much about Texas A&M COM, but I was thinking that may be a target MD school in Texas - plus I like the curriculum. Any 2 cents? I am pretty confident I can score similarly to my old MCAT or possibly higher since I was a sophomore then. Hoping for a 515+.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, the legendary Goro. Definitely studying your guides right now haha. Thank you for the response! I dont know if you know much about Texas A&M COM, but I was thinking that may be a target MD school in Texas - plus I like the curriculum. Any 2 cents? I am pretty confident I can score similarly to my old MCAT or possibly higher since I was a sophomore then. Hoping for a 515+.
As you are a TX resident, your chances are best in TX. OOS MD schools know from hard experience that most Texans stay in the Lone Star State. Those that leave are superstars.

Thanks in advance!!
I definitely feel you have a chance. I have been prematched to Texas schools and I have read hundreds of posts. You have obviously turned your life around. MCAT of 514 is fine with most schools. Improve your GPA. Stress your work activities. Stay positive. At least 6 Texas schools should be within your reach. Apply IS but don’t forget there are many out of Texas med schools that are much easier to get into.

How old are your oldest classes? Texas has academic fresh start for classes that are > 10 years old. I'm skeptical of an MD acceptance in TX even with a 514 considering your GPA. Maybe with a homerun (519+) you would have a decent run. You are probably DOA for OOS MD, I wouldn't waste the application fees. With a solid mcat you still have a chance at DO schools IMHO. Good Luck.

How old are your oldest classes? Texas has academic fresh start for classes that are > 10 years old. I'm skeptical of an MD acceptance in TX even with a 514 considering your GPA. Maybe with a homerun (519+) you would have a decent run. You are probably DOA for OOS MD, I wouldn't waste the application fees. With a solid mcat you still have a chance at DO schools IMHO. Good Luck.
My oldest class was fall 2014 so I have a while for the 10 year rule. I just retook my MCAT so it should be back later this month... my FL scores were all in the 520s thats hopefully promising. It would take another 30+ hours of As to get to a 3.0 cgpa.

My oldest class was fall 2014 so I have a while for the 10 year rule. I just retook my MCAT so it should be back later this month... my FL scores were all in the 520s thats hopefully promising. It would take another 30+ hours of As to get to a 3.0 cgpa.

If you truly land in the 520's and have a good reinvention story, there may be some OOS MD schools that reward reinvention that would be interested. Even better shape for DO schools, but MD schools are still going to be repelled by a sub 3.0 GPA. I'm not saying it's right, it just is what the system demands at this point :rolleyes:

If you truly land in the 520's and have a good reinvention story, there may be some OOS MD schools that reward reinvention that would be interested. Even better shape for DO schools, but MD schools are still going to be repelled by a sub 3.0 GPA. I'm not saying it's right, it just is what the system demands at this point :rolleyes:

got my score back yesterday, 521 I’m so excited I can’t help telling everyone... haha sorry

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I was in a similar situation as you when I was applying. The cumulative GPA isn't really that important at this point except for getting you above the screening threshold (which honestly may be 3 at many places). Once someone looks at your app it is important to consistently demonstrate good scores in solid science courses. Doing a whole bunch of easy classes and one tough science isn't going to fool anyone either. You have to load yourself with solid sciences and do well to prove you can handle med school. In my opinion from my experience that is what admissions committees want. They want to know you can handle it. And your MCAT certainly will help ! congrats