Non-Traditional Game Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToBeorNotToBe340

Reaction score
Howdy,

So I’m currently a non-traditional doing a DIY postbacc. Some context graduated in 2018 with BS in business administration (2.26 gpa). After graduating I joined the military. I recently got out and have started my DIY postbacc at a local community college. I just wanted to see if what I’m planning on doing/ already doing makes sense. This is the first time I’m taking all of these classes since non overlapped with my first degree.

Fall 2023 (4.0)
Bio intro
Gen Chem Prep
Precalc

Winter 2024
Bio 1
Gen Chem 1
Precalc

Spring 2024
Bio 2
Gen chem 2
Calc 1

Summer 2024
Bio 3
Gen chem 3
*** maybe add another course. Idk, maybe too much since it’s 8 weeks instead of 10.***

Fall 2024
O Chem 1
Physics 1
Engl 1

Winter 2025
O chem 2
O chem lab 1
Physics 2
Engl 2

Spring 2025
O chem 3
O chem lab 2
Physics 3
Bio Chem 1

Summer 2025
Study for MCAT

Or

Take Additional classes to try to get closer to 3.0

Fall 2025
Study for MCAT (take in December)

Jan - May 2026
Write essays
Finish compiling application materials and LOR

Additional classes considering:
Micro Bio
Bio Chem 2
Anatomy/Physiology 1 & 2

Current EC’s
Scribing - (Dec 2023 - current)
Clinical Volunteer - (Oct 2023 - current)
Shadow Rural ED physician

Just wondering if I’m doing the right things so far. Does it make sense to try and get a second bachelors or just stick with the classes I need? I appreciate your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would take some time to go through the schools you are interested in to see what their requirements are. I'm not sure you need to spend all that time with pre-calc and calculus. Micro might be good. However, statistics is high yield, especially if you have access to a biostats course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The only thing I see is that your schedule might take less time because there's typically only 2 semesters of gen chem and 2 semesters of ochem.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think you’ll need gen chem prep, chem 3, ochem 3, physics 3.
Unless your school is weird typically you only need like
2 English
2 psych/socio
2 math (Calc/stats)
2 chem
2 ochem
2 physics
1 biochem
3 bio
Maybe genetics / molecular bio for potential additional stuff
Of course anything with labs you gotta do those too. But typically ochem lab is just one course alone that combines 1+2.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think you’ll need gen chem prep, chem 3, ochem 3, physics 3.
Unless your school is weird typically you only need like
2 English
2 psych/socio
2 math (Calc/stats)
2 chem
2 ochem
2 physics
1 biochem
3 bio
Maybe genetics / molecular bio for potential additional stuff
Of course anything with labs you gotta do those too. But typically ochem lab is just one course alone that combines 1+2.

I’m on the quarter system so a full series is 3 quarters. I had to take gen chem prep because I had never taken any chemistry before. O Chem is 5 classes (3 lecture, 2 labs).

I just wanted to include every possible pre-requisite as to not disqualify myself before even applying, if that makes sense.

Yes, on the quarter system, you have to take the three courses for chemistry, organic chemistry, or physics. You may need 2 quarters of biochemistry. Microbiology and intermediate physiology are helpful as would be immunology, neurobiology, and histology.

I recommend that you get at least 30 hours of primary care shadowing.
The ED is often more accessible and there is nothing wrong with watching a shift there, though.

In your situation, in which A's are especially important, avoid calculus and calculus-based physics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Let's cross that bridge if you get there, for now, focus on getting great grades. Then we can talk about what to do.