Bad non-BCPM grades from many years ago. Starting BCPM classes now. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MamaDocMcB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Due to various events that occurred (unexpected death of my mother, trouble balancing school and work, bills, lack of guidance) at the beginning of my college career (right after high school), my grades were absolutely horrible. To be slightly more specific, about a handful of Fs and way too many Ws. This is over a span of many years of me registering for courses thinking I'd be able to handle the load, then finding myself having to work more hours to make rent and pay bills, and ultimately neglecting my schoolwork.

After many years of dead end jobs, I finally snapped out of the money chase and realized that the only way I was going to be content with my life was to focus on school. So I gained acceptance to a fast track school (nationally accredited university), and received my Bachelor's degree. My start at this school was a hard adjustment, and I did not do so well in my first year of classes. But once I got used to the pace, I did fairly well (All As and Bs). But, my overall institutional GPA is a low 2.58.

I have always wanted a career in medicine. I feel like I lacked the support and resources to pursue the career adequately back then. Right now, I am 26 years old, married with a one year old, working full time as a Certified Nurse Assistant for the exposure and to make ends meet, and a full-time student (med school pre-reqs). We are not as financially secure as I would prefer, but I have the complete support of my husband and extended family in pursuing a career in medicine.

I have taken two Biology courses and Chemistry I at the local university so far and have received As in all of them. I have shadowed physicians in various clinical settings (Family Med, Pedi, ER, Oncology) and have had direct patient contact/care on a post-surgical floor through my current job. Working as a CNA has really opened my eyes to what I want my role to be in the medical field. Most would expect me to want to pursue Nursing (which I considered briefly), but the more and more exposed I became, the more clear it was that I want to pursue medicine.

My main concern now is how my grades from my past, that are non BCPM (econ, comp. sci, business comm, sociology, etc), are going to affect my chances of being considered for medical school. I know ALL GRADES play a factor in GPA calculation, so those Fs are going to bring my GPA way down. I expect to do fairly well in the rest of my actual BCPM courses, and will do my utmost best to score well on the MCAT. I have another year of science requirements to go and until I apply. I'm wondering if going back and retaking those courses I failed will help? Would my chances be greater going the DO route?

Feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.