Bad start 10 yrs prior, present ok BS entering good postbaccs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA242

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of high school I was in college for a little over a semester before dropping out. First semester mostly D or F, including chem, second semester withdrew from everything. After attended CC briefly, took an EMT course and Astronomy, blew it off and two F's there. I have high SATs, am generally regarded as intelligent, and come from a family with many doctors.

10 years later I have my BS in Finance with a 3.41 from a top 50 school, and I'm going to enter a good post bacc this Fall. I'm confident in my ability to do well there and on the MCAT. With this alone I would feel alright about my odds, but given my past, is admission attainable?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Saying is easy, doing is hard. It's 100% possible, though. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
how high is a high SAT?

what's your cGPA and sGPA? (use the tools at the top of this sub-board). you'll need to include the previous coursework in this

then, assuming you get, say, a 3.8 in your post-bac, what will your grades be?

Members don't see this ad :)
how high is a high SAT?

what's your cGPA and sGPA? (use the tools at the top of this sub-board). you'll need to include the previous coursework in this

then, assuming you get, say, a 3.8 in your post-bac, what will your grades be?

I can't be precise at the moment because I don't have those transcripts right now, but it looks like altogether a 2.98, with 3.8 postbacc maybe 3.2; in any case a low gpa. SAT was 1520/1600. Science gpa is similar to cumulative.

I guess what I need to know is if adcomms would distinguish between these two distinct periods in my life

I can't be precise at the moment because I don't have those transcripts right now, but it looks like altogether a 2.98, with 3.8 postbacc maybe 3.2; in any case a low gpa. SAT was 1520/1600. Science gpa is similar to cumulative.

I guess what I need to know is if adcomms would distinguish between these two distinct periods in my life
The committee probably will. You have to hope the screeners do. You need to compensate with a longer list.

acing a post-bac (and getting your c/sGPAs above 3.3) AND getting a >90th percentile MCAT should give you a solid shot at getting in somewhere

Yes.

10 years later I have my BS in Finance with a 3.41 from a top 50 school, and I'm going to enter a good post bacc this Fall. I'm confident in my ability to do well there and on the MCAT. With this alone I would feel alright about my odds, but given my past, is admission attainable?