base strength and ions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anish Dhamija

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TBR Chemistry Ch. 4
Passage 2 #9
Base Strength and Ions

The question refers to a table of acids and bases and current readings. But the part I don't get is the answer: The number of ions in solution does not depend on base strength

Can someone explain why?

Thanks, in advance

Members don't see this ad.

TBR Chemistry Ch. 4
Passage 2 #9
Base Strength and Ions

The question refers to a table of acids and bases and current readings. But the part I don't get is the answer: The number of ions in solution does not depend on base strength

Can someone explain why?

Thanks, in advance

I'll give it a whirl.

You could technically have more ions in a very concentrated weak base solution than a solution with a very small concentration of strong base; even though the strong base would completely hydrolyze water. Therefore the number of ions in solution does not depend on base strength considering we could have solutions of different concentrations of base (weak or strong).

That's how I interpret that statement, but I don't have the TBR gen chem book

TBR Chemistry Ch. 4
Passage 2 #9
Base Strength and Ions

Can someone explain why?

Thanks, in advance

The difference between pH and pKa. pKa of an acid simply determines the extent of dissociation. However, pH determines the amount of ions within a solution. A weak acid may have a lower pH, than a strong acid. For example: a weak acid with M=1.0 x10^1000000 has a lower pH than, strong acid M= 1.0x10^1.