BCPM Credit for Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFamilyDoctor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking developmental psychopathology next semester as well as psychological statistics. Will these get approved under BCPM GPA on my AMCAS application? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nah they wont count for bcpm

not 100 percent sure about the stats course but i dont think so

well i dont think so at least, but let someone confirm this

Members don't see this ad :)
psych isn't bcpm. neither is child/development. But if the class is called "psychological statistics", I'd bet you could pass it off as BCPM no problem. They just go by the course title, and stat is bcpm.

No. I am a double major in biology and psychology. That course, although I never took one similar to that, will not count as a BCPM course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Suppose you have a course that appears as if its a psychology course (Its called "Emotional Function of the Brain")

Anyway, my professor has made it clear that this is a biology intensive course. We were studying the brain and the neural pathways/regions involved with behavior. Anyway, if AMCAS disagrees with that assessment, I can always appeal right? The professor has mentioned that he would be willing to support the claim that the course is a biology course, even though its listed under a different department (e.g. Human Development).

Any ideas how that would be dealt with?

I am taking developmental psychopathology next semester as well as psychological statistics. Will these get approved under BCPM GPA on my AMCAS application? Thanks

Maybe not, but maybe. It all depends on what the main topic of the class falls under. The statistics class could very well fall under the "M" of the BCMP, as long as the main focus is statistics. The first course will most likely fall under psych. You can list them any way you want, but AMCAS will move courses to the category that they deem most appropriate. If you disagree with their designation, you can call them, and with proper justification, they will change the category.

I use this rule of thumb for figuring out which Psychology listed class will count for BCMP.

it needs to have the words
physiological
neurological
or neural

in the title of the class. However, the other much more reliable way to figure this out is to email the professor and ask if 50% of the course or more is based on biology. AMCAS doesn't list psychology under the "Biology" section and thus it doesn't fall under BCMP. But, atleast in my school, most of the neuroscience courses are offered through the Psychology department so thats what I do. Hope this helps! Good luck.

Zani

Suppose you have a course that appears as if its a psychology course (Its called "Emotional Function of the Brain")

Anyway, my professor has made it clear that this is a biology intensive course. We were studying the brain and the neural pathways/regions involved with behavior. Anyway, if AMCAS disagrees with that assessment, I can always appeal right? The professor has mentioned that he would be willing to support the claim that the course is a biology course, even though its listed under a different department (e.g. Human Development).

Any ideas how that would be dealt with?

It shouldn't be that hard. Just keep a copy of the syllabus in case they do ask. However, since your professor is willing to verify this don't sweat it to much.

I am female.

LOL...did anyone check her name...nonesuchGIRL...I believe the word "girl" does refer to the female sex of our species...of course she could be a man who likes to think of himself as a her....
which is it?

LOL...did anyone check her name...nonesuchGIRL...I believe the word "girl" does refer to the female sex of our species...of course she could be a man who likes to think of himself as a her....
which is it?

hm.. thanks for pointing that out...

wylde, bb, quit telling ppl 2 search.

that's not how we do things on sdn.

I'm trying to start a revolution... changing the minds of pre-meds on a case-by-case basis!!!

Together, we can change the world (and by world, I mean SDN (the two are virtually synonymous)).

The sad thing is that I post links to the "search" button in a bunch of threads, but they are almost ALL asking the same question (about psych BCPM).

I'm trying to start a revolution... changing the minds of pre-meds on a case-by-case basis!!!

Together, we can change the world (and by world, I mean SDN (the two are virtually synonymous)).

The sad thing is that I post links to the "search" button in a bunch of threads, but they are almost ALL asking the same question (about psych BCPM).

That's because it's a hot (and confusing) topic as people try to figure out how to fill in their AMCAS apps.

When I applied all my biopsych, neurophysiology, abnormal behavior, sensory, psych statistics, psychopharmacology to my BCPM because they all were over 50% hard science. The classes that were overtly psych like animal behavior or social psych and psych methods were obviously in the AO gpa.