Becoming a Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyman22336

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm currently in pharmacy school, and have my intern license. I've not had any success in getting a job as an intern, I guess because it pays more. So, I've decided to go back and get my tech license and apply for a spot to get into a pharmacy, cause I know how crucial working in a pharmacy is in regards to acquiring experience. But I'm a little confused as to what I need to do to become a technician in the state of Texas. I know I need to take the pharmacy tech exam, but what else? Can anybody post any links or guide as to the proper steps needed to take in order to become a certified technician in Texas? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I'm currently in pharmacy school, and have my intern license. I've not had any success in getting a job as an intern, I guess because it pays more. So, I've decided to go back and get my tech license and apply for a spot to get into a pharmacy, cause I know how crucial working in a pharmacy is in regards to acquiring experience. But I'm a little confused as to what I need to do to become a technician in the state of Texas. I know I need to take the pharmacy tech exam, but what else? Can anybody post any links or guide as to the proper steps needed to take in order to become a certified technician in Texas? Thanks.
You can probably work as a tech with an intern license. I'd recommend confirming with the board, but I don't see why they'd care.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the thing. I never imagined this would work out the way it has. According to professors and my school law class, I can work as a tech with a intern license. But whenever I apply to different chains, they always come back to me saying how even though that's true, their policy/want is for a tech. My closest opportunity came to a halt because the pharmacist didn't know that he needed to be a preceptor...so I'm guessing my easiest route is just to take the tech exam so that I can get hired, cause I guess the pay is lower so places will take me?

google for the TX Board of Pharmacy and / or Pharmacy Technician Certification Board then call / email them your questions.

It does not make any sense to be a tech and intern at the same time. If an employer says they are looking for a tech and not an intern this is likely due to time commitment or financial reasons. A tech is paid less and can work full time while interns have school and have limited working availability. If you don't mind the lower pay, then just tell the employer that. There's no need to get a tech license.

I've tried doing that but every time I do, they still say they need to be a preceptor, and so far so many options have closed on me because they weren't preceptors. The last pharmacist told me after all the interviews that I went through, I wish you were a tech we would have hired you. I guess I'm just gonna have to get it out the way.

be a tech trainee or a clerk

I've tried doing that but every time I do, they still say they need to be a preceptor, and so far so many options have closed on me because they weren't preceptors. The last pharmacist told me after all the interviews that I went through, I wish you were a tech we would have hired you. I guess I'm just gonna have to get it out the way.
I honestly do not think it will help you get a job.