Just applied at Walgreens as a pharmacy tech apprenticeship, what’s it like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minisghosting

Reaction score
I just applied for Walgreens in iowa as a pharmacy tech apprenticeship and I just want some more info on what it’s like. What’s the usual pay range? What is training like? Do you get paid for training? How long is the training? Can I work while in training? Do you get paid weekly? Is it true you have to pay for uniforms and training? My mom said you usually get paid for training ? What kinda drug test- weed/nic/other? Do you have to be vaccinated- my mom is against them. I’m 17 about to turn 18 and do online school at evening/nights and will graduate in 4 months. I have no experience in this field. This is my first “official job” I used to work in a home daycare for many years and I’m nervous because I’ve heard all kinds of things. I know the customers can be bad. I just want to know how this process works? I have to help my family out and need the money asap so I’m worried if I do this it will be a long time before I get paid. Any information will help! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what a tech "apprenticeship" is! There are pharmacists (R.Ph.) and Techs (C.Ph.T) working at my neighborhood Walgreens. Don't know pay range (possible $15-20/hr). Everyone get's paid for any job related training.
Your mom is an Anti-vaxer? Did you get any vaccines growing up, or she just has some clinical insight about a few of them?
All major employers require COVID vaccinations, hopefully your mom will consent.
These are all good questions for the HR recruiter, once they contact you.
Advice: Please leave out, What types of drugs are you testing for? - Red Flag

Reactions: 1 users
I just applied for Walgreens in iowa as a pharmacy tech apprenticeship and I just want some more info on what it’s like. What’s the usual pay range?
Minimum wage +/- cost of living adjustment (more than likely minimum wage)

What is training like?
You're a technician learning the electronic health record system, pharmacy operations, medication preparation and dispensing, basic state laws of what you can legally and not legally do (a tech, only you're not legally old enough to be a tech). Expect a 30 minute timed typing assessment that you'll be required to do.

Do you get paid for training?
1) Is the training geared to study/pass PCTB only? Then no, you do not get paid
2) Is the training geared for potential hire? Then yes, you get paid

How long is the training?
6-8 weeks

Can I work while in training?
Training is work

Do you get paid weekly?
Doubt it - HR will answer that for you

Is it true you have to pay for uniforms?
Yes - if you get paid, they'll pull it out of your paycheck.

My mom said you usually get paid for training?
Talk with HR (human resources) and see what kind of program you're talking about. Programs exist that is for the sole purpose of studying for PTCB of which you do not get paid. On the other hand, there are some out there that are credited as college credit while in school, of which you do not get paid. There are programs that will train you, get you material for PTCB, and get you a uniform for the sole purpose of hiring you - in that situation, you get paid.

What kinda drug test- weed/nic/other?
Opioids, amphetamines, pseudo/phenyl-anything, magic dragon to coco-puffs and everything in between - pretty much all but nicotine I would say.

Do you have to be vaccinated- my mom is against them.
Yes - some gray area may exist for exceptions. If you're a minor and parents do not give consent, you'll either be exempt or blacklisted until you become of age.

I have to help my family out and need the money asap
Pay would be about the same if you decided to be the stocker at walmart or even the cashier at Walgreens (more-so if you can speak spanish). I would even say that the stress level of working the other jobs I have listed would not be as intense as what you are deciding to train for.

I’m worried if I do this it will be a long time before I get paid. Any information will help! Thank you!!
Right now, you can do two things in terms of finding out if you do get paid and if so, when:
1) Go to the nearest Walgreens in your hometown, and ask about the apprenticeship program (same for all across the country I would presume)
2) For the application you do online, send an email to the address you submit to, or call the information-line on the application

For general information, most jobs pay monthly, or every two weeks. I think when I was 18 working as a welder and one other time as a CNC tech in machinery, I got my paychecks weekly. All other times, it's either monthly or twice monthly.

Reactions: 1 user