Been withdrawn from the NRMP match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted9493

I'm wrestling with this idea of applying through the osteopathic match for the traditional internship year. The thought of doing this specific internship doesn't bother me as much as the ambiguity of the responses as to whether or not matching for that year will remove me from the NRMP match for advanced anesthesiology positions does.

So, can anyone (or multiple people) please confirm whether or not you are in fact withdrawn from the NRMP match for advanced positions if you match into an osteopathic internship? Personal, first-hand accounts would be most appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Matching a 1 year internship only withdraws you from programs that inclue their 1 year internship when you apply I.E. All 4 year catagorical and linked programs. You will still be able to apply to advanced (3 year) programs

The beauty of the osteoplathic world is that their internships rarely fill so you will have no problem scrambing into positions if you don't match. My advice is to apply to 3 or 4 osteopathic internships and interview but don't rank them. Make it expressly clear that you are planning on scrambling into their internship b/c you don't know if it will be necessary for you match a separte internship. By doing it this way you will be able to freely apply to all anesthesia programs and if you need an internship you will have a coupe of programs who already have your name and resume

That's such a great idea. You just saved me a world of hassle--thanks for dropping the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting strategy. I am in the same dilemma as the OP. I'm assuming it worked well for you, had a question though, how did these programs react to telling them that you won't be ranking them. Did they accept the fact that their spots usually remain unfilled or did anyone get offended by the thought that their program was used as a backup to fill up an internship spot?
Your location says New York, if possible would you mind telling me where you did your internship? PM me if you feel uncomfortable sharing in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Matching a 1 year internship only withdraws you from programs that inclue their 1 year internship when you apply I.E. All 4 year catagorical and linked programs. You will still be able to apply to advanced (3 year) programs

The beauty of the osteoplathic world is that their internships rarely fill so you will have no problem scrambing into positions if you don't match. My advice is to apply to 3 or 4 osteopathic internships and interview but don't rank them. Make it expressly clear that you are planning on scrambling into their internship b/c you don't know if it will be necessary for you match a separte internship. By doing it this way you will be able to freely apply to all anesthesia programs and if you need an internship you will have a coupe of programs who already have your name and resume

:confused:
Interesting strategy. I am in the same dilemma as the OP. I'm assuming it worked well for you, had a question though, how did these programs react to telling them that you won't be ranking them. Did they accept the fact that their spots usually remain unfilled or did anyone get offended by the thought that their program was used as a backup to fill up an internship spot?
Your location says New York, if possible would you mind telling me where you did your internship? PM me if you feel uncomfortable sharing in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Its all about how you present it to the program. These programs know you're only using a transitional year as a means to an end b/c everyone doing one goes into some other field. The key is explaining to them that you're doing it this way b/c you're trying to give yourself the best chance of matching aneshtesia as possible and it doesn't in any way reflect on their program. Make it known to the PD that if you were only applying to 3 year programs that you would go through the match and rank them highly. Any good TY program should be understanding of this and be willing to work with you. Most told me that they wouldn't be able to hold a spot for me but they would be very happy to have me as an intern if they didn't fill. Just do your homework and talk to your fellow classmates, figure out which programs don't fill every year and apply to a few. I applied to 3 programs, 1 filled the other 2 didn't. On the day of match day I also called around some other programs in the area just in case and a few offered me spots b/c they had my resume even though I didn't interview there. Bottom line supply>>>>>demand in osteopathic internships so you won't have a problem matching somewhere.

Right now I'm doing my internship @ Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip. I absolutely love the program and I highly recommend it to others applying. It's not the cushiest program out there but its a nice balance between hard months where you learn stuff and easy months where you can relax.

Appreciate the reply. I will keep this in mind in the upcoming months... Thanks!

:confused:

Its all about how you present it to the program. These programs know you're only using a transitional year as a means to an end b/c everyone doing one goes into some other field. The key is explaining to them that you're doing it this way b/c you're trying to give yourself the best chance of matching aneshtesia as possible and it doesn't in any way reflect on their program. Make it known to the PD that if you were only applying to 3 year programs that you would go through the match and rank them highly. Any good TY program should be understanding of this and be willing to work with you. Most told me that they wouldn't be able to hold a spot for me but they would be very happy to have me as an intern if they didn't fill. Just do your homework and talk to your fellow classmates, figure out which programs don't fill every year and apply to a few. I applied to 3 programs, 1 filled the other 2 didn't. On the day of match day I also called around some other programs in the area just in case and a few offered me spots b/c they had my resume even though I didn't interview there. Bottom line supply>>>>>demand in osteopathic internships so you won't have a problem matching somewhere.

Right now I'm doing my internship @ Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip. I absolutely love the program and I highly recommend it to others applying. It's not the cushiest program out there but its a nice balance between hard months where you learn stuff and easy months where you can relax.

My plan last year was to simply go through the allopathic match and scramble if I ended up with a 3yr spot. Plenty of internships out there that don't fill. In fact you can go onto the AOA's site and look at the #of positions/#'s filled for each program.