Before you post, do you know how to spell this word?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benbk

Cliente registrado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Identify the only correctly spelled English word:

definately
definetely
definitely
definotely
definutely

Believe it or not, three of these choices have over 500 matches on SDN. No wonder people don't have confidence in modern medicine. Don't get me started on apostrophes (not apostrophe's)!

Members don't see this ad.

benbk said:

definately
definetely
definitely
definotely
definutely

Believe it or not, three of these choices have over 500 matches on SDN. No wonder people don't have confidence in modern medicine. Don't get me started on apostrophes (not apostrophe's)!

i comend you're surch!

Ugh, that bugs me, too. I definitely know how to spell it, though. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's make this interesting in a public poll...

oh my. what's really weird (or should i say wierd to go with those who use "definAtely") is that i tried your search and 500 posts with "definately" popped up. i know from past experience that SDN only shows up to 500 posts in a search so who knows how many more there might be!!!

but when i tried to search for "definitely," i was told the word was too short. go figure!!!!

benbk said:

definately
definetely
definitely
definotely
definutely

none of the above, definaeioutely.

deafenantely ;)

billybama said:
oh my. what's really weird (or should i say wierd to go with those who use "definAtely") is that i tried your search and 500 posts with "definately" popped up. i know from past experience that SDN only shows up to 500 posts in a search so who knows how many more there might be!!!

but when i tried to search for "definitely," i was told the word was too short. go figure!!!!
I too find it quite annoying, both the lack of proper spelling and simple grammar. I know I do misspell words occasionally/often, either do to haste or just poor spelling, but it still bugs me.
What I really hate is that computer shorthand typing crap, I don't know what it is called, but that hacker/chat room crap that teens use.

yeah. do to haste will due it every time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think that people who are annoyed by improper spelling and grammar need to get over it and realize that they are very unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

On the Internet, spelling does indeed take the place of pronunciation. Instead of mispronouncing things we misspell things and just as people in real life judge others based on how they pronounce things, people on the Internet judge others based on how they spell. So I suppose you anal people can take solace in the fact that those who annoy you so much with their terrible spelling do not look very intelligent to the rest of us either. Interestingly enough, although both are correlated with intelligence, neither spelling nor pronunciation is necessary for incredible intellectual feats.

Also, I would appreciate it if someone would correct all of the mistakes in this post since I'm certain it will bring you great pleasure and joy.

DE-FINITE-LY :thumbup:

I won the my fifth grade spelling bee with that gem :D

YzIa said:
What I really hate is that computer shorthand typing crap, I don't know what it is called, but that hacker/chat room crap that teens use.

That stuff really is awful. I used to use it on IRC simply because the discussion moves so quickly that rapid typing is necessary but there really is no excuse for its use on message boards where we have plenty of time to communicate our thoughts. The problem with that sort of language is that it requires more effort from the average reader to comprehend. I wonder what would have happened had I used l33t speak on my MCAT writing section.

Medikit said:
I think that people who are annoyed by improper spelling and grammar need to get over it and realize that they are very unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

On the Internet, spelling does indeed take the place of pronunciation. Instead of mispronouncing things we misspell things and just as people in real life judge others based on how they pronounce things, people on the Internet judge others based on how they spell. So I suppose you anal people can take solace in the fact that those who annoy you so much with their terrible spelling do not look very intelligent to the rest of us either. Interestingly enough, although both are correlated with intelligence, neither spelling nor pronunciation is necessary for incredible intellectual feats.

Also, I would appreciate it if someone would correct all of the mistakes in this post since I'm certain it will bring you great pleasure and joy.

Well done. Not a single mistake. Although "solace," even though spelled correctly, is probably not the correct word choice. I'm "anal" and quite happy about it.

If your family doc prescribed "asperin" for your angina, would you take your kids to him? (I realize it would probably be ASA, but that's beside the point.)

benbk said:

definately
definetely
definitely
definotely
definutely

Yes, because we really want a bunch of writers to go into medicine. Hardcore science people have better things on their minds than spelling and grammar. Go to journalism school.

great thread! i am proudly type-a. :D
spelling correlates with attention to detail. good doctors must be detail-oriented. uh, hello?
please stop misspelling defInitely.
thank you.

benbk said:
Well done. Not a single mistake. Although "solace," even though spelled correctly, is probably not the correct word choice. I'm "anal" and quite happy about it.

I was referring to the fact that spelling doesn't really matter.

benbk said:
If your family doc prescribed "asperin" for your angina, would you take your kids to him? (I realize it would probably be ASN, but that's beside the point.)

Only if I didn't really have angina.

whatev. Everyone just says "def" anyway ;-)

benbk said:

If your family doc prescribed "asperin" for your angina, would you take your kids to him? (I realize it would probably be ASN, but that's beside the point.)

Actually, I think it would be 'ASA' for aspirin :)