Beginning Pre-Med Studies - Best Preparation for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allison123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of selecting an undergraduate major (I've completed the majority of my general education requirements), and I'm interested in planning a curriculum that will best prepare me for the MCAT. I've taken only one science course, General Biology, thus far.

My performance in the science section on the ACT in high school was average, and I would like to strengthen this area considerably before the time comes to take the MCAT. (I have three academic years, beginning next fall, to work with.) Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Allison

Members don't see this ad.

Allison123 said:
I'm in the process of selecting an undergraduate major (I've completed the majority of my general education requirements), and I'm interested in planning a curriculum that will best prepare me for the MCAT. I've taken only one science course, General Biology, thus far.

My performance in the science section on the ACT in high school was average, and I would like to strengthen this area considerably before the time comes to take the MCAT. (I have three academic years, beginning next fall, to work with.) Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Allison

Hi:

If you wanna strengthen your science sections, I would reccomend doing something related with Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or Biomedical Engineering. I am a molecular biology and math major. My sense is biology is one of the most detailed section in MCAT. So, taking lots of biology classes helped me alot. Additional to these, I took calculus based physics and I did not need to study for the physics section.

You're way too young to be worrying about choosing a curriculum to prepare you for medical school. It would be much wiser to choose a curriculum that lets you see if you even want to go to medical school. I know way too many people who entered college dead-set on pre-med, only to realize during their junior year that they hated what they were studying, and that they had spent 2 1/2 years of college working their asses off instead of having fun--and all for nothing. Just keep an open mind, and don't work too hard until you are at least a sophomore.

Mowgli said:
You're way too young to be worrying about choosing a curriculum to prepare you for medical school. It would be much wiser to choose a curriculum that lets you see if you even want to go to medical school. I know way too many people who entered college dead-set on pre-med, only to realize during their junior year that they hated what they were studying, and that they had spent 2 1/2 years of college working their asses off instead of having fun--and all for nothing. Just keep an open mind, and don't work too hard until you are at least a sophomore.

lol I like the nick name "mowgli" reminds me of .. "jungle jungle pata chala hain, chaddi pehanke phool khila hain." :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
My fraternity gave me the nickname. I actually kinda look like him--supposedly.

Biochem major and bio minor or bio major and biochem minor have to be the best majors in terms of MCAT preparation. With biochem, ur reviewing all the organic chem plus a lot of gen chem and basic bio you've previously learned. With bio, well its bio. I dunno what the ideal bio concentration for MCAT is though. One more thing: you get biochem & obviously bio in med school again. Med school bio is largely anatomy & physiology... so I'd say, the ideal major and minors for MCAT and med school are biochem major with bio minor (concentration anatomy & physiology) or bio major (concentration anatomy & phsyiology) with biochem minor. Neuroanatomy is another biggie; its not emphasized on MCAT, but its huge in med school. How do you fit all that in? One major & two minors.

If you just pick a major based on preparing for the MCAT/med school...good luck to you. A friend of mine did that and got so sick of all the science and competition among premeds that she is waiting to go to medical school.....

I would pick what you like. GPA is important...so if you dont love bio chem/ chem or whatever, itll hurt you.

And plus, have fun in college... itll reflect in your personality and interviews. and interviews are important. you dont want to be "ALL SCHOOL"

i was kind of like you. I wanted to make me schedule fit around the MCAt and Med school, but basically right now i no longer care. If you think about it, how good will you look if you try to fit all those science classes into 3 years. Med school wants a well rounded individual. You will hardly have any time for other humanities and social sciences. It would look better if you spread things out. Plus it may hurt your gpa significantly if you are not a hardcore science major. If you would like to be prepared for med school and the MCAt, maybe you could try just sitting in on some classes w/ out offically registering for them. This way you are not required to put in so much effort; you will have time to focus your time and energy in volunteering and elsewhere. But, you will still be able to learn.

btw if you are interested i am a Cell and Molecular Bio Major with a minor in German.