Beginning the process of applying to GPRs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDentistsRock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven’t been here in a while, and to be quite frank, I never thought I’d make it this far. I started off D1 failing 1 course, almost failing a second, and coming out of first year with a 2.5 GPA. After so many hardships and struggles, I am currently a rising D4 approaching the last month or two of D3 year.

While I have been doing average in the clinic, I’ve quickly come to realize the 2 years of clinical experiences we get in dental school isn’t enough (for me) to get me to be a competent enough dentist to go out into private practice instantly. I would like to learn more and hone my skills.

I’m currently interested in applying for GPRs. My school has barely given any information on how to go about applying and the such and wanted to ask here for guidance on how to get started in simple terms. I keep hearing the words “match” and “pass” constantly getting thrown around. I believe I need a CV, resume and personal statement? Recommendation letters (not sure how many). Not sure what dates/timelines to look out for and best way to search for programs.

I am a bit concerned about wasting time/money on the application process as I am not at all competitive. I have a 3.1 GPA and am ranked roughly 120/140 in my class. I do have a pretty good reputation among classmates and doctors in the school though. I’m sure I can secure 2 good Rec letters. Would I be able to get a rec letter from an outside dentist I’ve been shadowing for a while?

Honestly, any guidance is better than none at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The application process for residencies utilizes ADEA PASS. PASS is an application portal/software that is basically like AADSAS when you applied to dental schools. However, unlike AADSAS, not every residency will require you to apply through PASS (these programs will have their own applications you fill out on their websites).

MATCH is a software that will literally match you with residency programs that participate in MATCH. Not every residency uses MATCH (these programs are thus called non-match). Non-match programs will contact you before MATCH day and offer you a position if you are selected.
Moving on, you will register for MATCH and put your MATCH ID in PASS. If you decide you want to go to a MATCH residency, you will rank MATCH programs you interviewed at in order (#1, #2, #3, etc). Then you wait for MATCH day and find out where you will be doing your residency.

For the application cycle, you need LORs (I recommend a minimum of 3), a CV, 2x2 photo, and a personal statement. You don't need a resume.

Don't worry about your rank at all. People last in their class can match into desirable residencies if they have what programs are looking for (good work ethic, personality, ties to program location, connections, good looks, who knows what else).

For now, start filling out your PASS application and register for the MATCH. Use this website to search for programs you're interested in. Read each program's requirements carefully as they may be different from program to program. Make sure you are organized when applying so you know what each program requires. Incomplete applications may not be submitted and considered.

Reactions: 3 users
The application process for residencies utilizes ADEA PASS. PASS is an application portal/software that is basically like AADSAS when you applied to dental schools. However, unlike AADSAS, not every residency will require you to apply through PASS (these programs will have their own applications you fill out on their websites).

MATCH is a software that will literally match you with residency programs that participate in MATCH. Not every residency uses MATCH (these programs are thus called non-match). Non-match programs will contact you before MATCH day and offer you a position if you are selected.
Moving on, you will register for MATCH and put your MATCH ID in PASS. If you decide you want to go to a MATCH residency, you will rank MATCH programs you interviewed at in order (#1, #2, #3, etc). Then you wait for MATCH day and find out where you will be doing your residency.

For the application cycle, you need LORs (I recommend a minimum of 3), a CV, 2x2 photo, and a personal statement. You don't need a resume.

Don't worry about your rank at all. People last in their class can match into desirable residencies if they have what programs are looking for (good work ethic, personality, ties to program location, connections, good looks, who knows what else).

For now, start filling out your PASS application and register for the MATCH. Use this website to search for programs you're interested in. Read each program's requirements carefully as they may be different from program to program. Make sure you are organized when applying so you know what each program requires. Incomplete applications may not be submitted and considered.

Thank you so much for this. This is extremely helpful! If I have any follow-up questions, I’ll be sure to let you know!

Members don't see this ad :)
your school will likely not guide you on this. Reach out to current fourth years who matched into residencies and ask them the process.

Do you have any residencies at your school? that's a great place to start as well