Can you do multiple GPRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpman26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a random thought, havent heard of anyone doing more than 1, is it not allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a random thought, havent heard of anyone doing more than 1, is it not allowed?
That seems like saying, "Can I do 6th grade over again?"
I suppose one can do a second GPR but WHY?????

Reactions: 2 users
That seems like saying, "Can I do 6th grade over again?"
I suppose one can do a second GPR but WHY?????
Lets say you did your first GPR that was heavy in molar endo, and now you want to do another thats heavy in something else, before going to private practice. Idk MDs go to residency for a minimum of 3 years i dont see 2 years as that much of an investment

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets say you did your first GPR that was heavy in molar endo, and now you want to do another thats heavy in something else, before going to private practice. Idk MDs go to residency for a minimum of 3 years i dont see 2 years as that much of an investment
Yeah, and they hate every year of it.

The interest in those loans don’t stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If I were a program director, I’d prefer fresh graduates because they’re more in need of the training than someone who already have a GPR experience

i dont see 2 years as that much of an investment
It is quite literally a $10 million dollar decision to willingly choose to make $60k per year in a GPR for two years when you could be making $160k per year in practice. If you take the $100k difference ($200k for 2 years), invest it in the S&P500 (assuming a 10% return) at the age of 28 by the time you are retirement age it is worth just about $10 million.

Isn’t that what CE is for?

I like your take on calculating the opportunity costs but if you're going to run the numbers, do it with after tax money that you can actually invest. Makes it less hyperbole and even more so that dose of reality.
It is quite literally a $10 million dollar decision to willingly choose to make $60k per year in a GPR for two years when you could be making $160k per year in practice. If you take the $100k difference ($200k for 2 years), invest it in the S&P500 (assuming a 10% return) at the age of 28 by the time you are retirement age it is worth just about $10 million.

I like your take on calculating the opportunity costs but if you're going to run the numbers, do it with after tax money that you can actually invest. Makes it less hyperbole and even more so that dose of reality.
I'm all for using after tax money. Good suggestion.

That being said I have gotten offers for $200k+ my first year out. After taxes that's about $130k so the math still works. After taxes, the GPR salary goes down to somewhere around $39,000? So the difference is actually closer to $91,000 that first year out.

Last edited:
Do not take financial advice from other dentists…this applies to legal and accounting advice.

Regarding OP’s question: I commend you for wanting to seek additional training. There are a few GPR programs that accept second year residents, but they are unpopular for a reason. One year of residency is enough to get more clinical exposure followed by a lifetime of CE courses to sharpen your skills in whatever niche you want to take your dentistry (cosmetics, implants, sleep dentistry, etc).

Do not take financial advice from other dentists…this applies to legal and accounting advice.

Regarding OP’s question: I commend you for wanting to seek additional training. There are a few GPR programs that accept second year residents, but they are unpopular for a reason. One year of residency is enough to get more clinical exposure followed by a lifetime of CE courses to sharpen your skills in whatever niche you want to take your dentistry (cosmetics, implants, sleep dentistry, etc).

ucla7130 has given us the first Dental SDN Quote of the Day for 2022!

There are some second year GPR residents where you get to do a lot of big cases in second year which would make it worth it to stay on.

But that would not be starting a separate GPR, rather staying in the same one for another year. I think it would still be very tough to do so but if you can stick it out might be worth it.

Do one year and get your reps in while in PP. Do CE focused on your interests. Make some money. Or if something really interests you, apply for a specialty. You don’t need a second year.