Being a B student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCHero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I firmly believe that I will be a straight B student in medical school given my current trajectory. Of course, the super competitive specialities are out I think, but what about IM / EM?

Or is it the usual "only board scores / clinical rotations matter"

Members don't see this ad.

No specialty is ruled out by being a "B" student - If you are ranked at the bottom of your class (provided you havent failed anything), but your Step scores are good, then nothing is ruled out

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its all about your step scores.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a c on my first exam in med school the other day and was so happy I didn't fail. Lol. Now that I'm comfortable, I want to reach higher. OP, is this a troll post?

Not a troll post by any means...of all the forum posts I see, everyone on SDN seems to be top 20%, all A's, etc in medical school. I wasn't quite sure the implications of being a B student especially with respect to residency.

Preclerkship grades means jack bananas as long as you don't fail anything. Learn your material well NOW. THAT should be your focus. Then pound the daylights out of step 1. If I could go back, I would get acquainted with FA and Pathoma and jumped on board with a dispensable yet good Qbank (e.g. Rx) right after anatomy wrapped up. B's? No problem. No one cares. Learn your shiz and kill your boards. No worries.

Reactions: 4 users
Preclerkship grades means jack bananas as long as you don't fail anything. Learn your material well NOW. THAT should be your focus. Then pound the daylights out of step 1. If I could go back, I would get acquainted with FA and Pathoma and jumped on board with a dispensable yet good Qbank (e.g. Rx) right after anatomy wrapped up. B's? No problem. No one cares. Learn your shiz and kill your boards. No worries.
are you talking about this: https://www.usmle-rx.com/

Also, how much board prep would you have done per day?

@CCHero Seeing how crazy the competition is, I would not mind being a straight B student or rank in the second quartile in my class.... Some people are studying 10+ hours/day on regular basis and I don't think I can sustain that kind of intensity for 3 years...

Last edited:
Not a troll post by any means...of all the forum posts I see, everyone on SDN seems to be top 20%, all A's, etc in medical school. I wasn't quite sure the implications of being a B student especially with respect to residency.
:laugh: All A's? Hardly. This isn't the premed process anymore. Board scores, ECs, and clinical grades are the most important things for most specialties.

That's because this is SDN. All of the tops of the top post, while everybody else just sits back and watches.

Members don't see this ad :)
You routinely read students on SDN saying that preclinical grades don't matter and that board scores is where it's at. Of course, this is generally true but it is more nuanced that.

For example, a B student means different things at different schools. At mine, the range of a B is massive and if you're at the bottom of the B range you have a gross lack of knowledge of the subject, notably below the high yield info you'd even see in FA. When are you planning on shoring up these deficits and learning vast quantities of new before Step 1? That can be concerning.

On the other hand, there are classes where a solid B and an A are determined by minute details specific to a given professor and success is determined by memorizing their slides minutia alone. A solid B student could have a great knowledge of the subject for Step 1 but not be interested in regurgitating the methods of a study mentioned once on slide 123. Who cares about a B because of class ran like that.

This is why I think outside resources and qbanks in M1 and M2 are important. It allows you to compare you knowledge to what is expected of all med students. While preclinical grades are not the most important thing on your app, they are important in preparing you for boards. If you're confident you're preparing yourself for boards, I wouldn't sweat the grades too heavily.

Reactions: 3 users
You routinely read students on SDN saying that preclinical grades don't matter and that board scores is where it's at. Of course, this is generally true but it is more nuanced that.

For example, a B student means different things at different schools. At mine, the range of a B is massive and if you're at the bottom of the B range you have a gross lack of knowledge of the subject, notably below the high yield info you'd even see in FA. When are you planning on shoring up these deficits and learning vast quantities of new before Step 1? That can be concerning.

On the other hand, there are classes where a solid B and an A are determined by minute details specific to a given professor and success is determined by memorizing their slides minutia alone. A solid B student could have a great knowledge of the subject for Step 1 but not be interested in regurgitating the methods of a study mentioned once on slide 123. Who cares about a B because of class ran like that.

This is why I think outside resources and qbanks in M1 and M2 are important. It allows you to compare you knowledge to what is expected of all med students. While preclinical grades are not the most important thing on your app, they are important in preparing you for boards. If you're confident you're preparing yourself for boards, I wouldn't sweat the grades too heavily.
haha you talk about a B as if it were a bad grade

haha you talk about a B as if it were a bad grade

I don't think I said that anywhere, just that it's school/class specific.

There are classes at my school where the B range is so large that you could be in the bottom 10% in that class and have a B. As I stated, there are classes where a B is an excellent grade and puts you in great shape for general medical knowledge and board exams. My point was that it's important to be judging how how you know the material and how well you'll be prepared for you future, not necessarily the grade.

For example, at my school, a B in path is a solid grade - you're a good student and know the material. A low B in OMM would not leave me confident that a student could succeed on COMLEX and Id be very worried. Shades of gray with variation school to school.

Our class average is consistently a low B. Like 82%. Only the top 15% get all A's. Sure we all get A's in some classes, but the way grading is set up, if you have a mid-high B overall, you're in the top quartile.

Reactions: 5 users

This is how my school is set up. And the maximum grades are usually low As/high Bs.

I'll probably end up with all B's, or 1-2 A's this semester. At midterm I had all middle percentage A's, but I was miserable. I can't do the 60+ hour study week any more outside of test weeks. Xbox is too fun. Taking my foot off the gas a little bit was absolutely the right call.

Nobody gets all A's in medical school (maybe 1-5) quit kicking yourself. You need to get through, pass the boards, don't fail anything, do well on clerkships and be sure you rotate where you want to do residency. The more you worry about it, the worse you will do.

I'll probably end up with all B's, or 1-2 A's this semester. At midterm I had all middle percentage A's, but I was miserable. I can't do the 60+ hour study week any more outside of test weeks. Xbox is too fun. Taking my foot off the gas a little bit was absolutely the right call.

This is the key to happiness in med school. Congratulations on finding it.
It's all about finding the right balance of work and play for you and your needs and your goals. Sure, I could get better grades, and in the end have more residency options. But I have determined that the extra time away from my family that that would require would not be worth it for me. I would miserable all the time, whereas right now I'm very happy with my life. It would probably be very worth it for some other people. But I don't really need to get in to ortho or ENT or derm to be happy. If one of those specialties were my ultimate goal, to the point where I wouldn't be happy with anything else, then I would need to be putting on more time than I am.

That is why it's so hard to give a good answer when a pre-med asks "how hard is med school, really?"

It all depends on your goals and your ambitions.

Lol, my goal is to pass all my classes this semester. Next semester, let's figure out how to increase that Pass to an Honor (maybe). This is for the sciences. OMM, clinical's etc are fairly easy.

this is refreshing because it stresses me out to see all the other people that are getting "straight A's" and I'm getting B's (low to mid) with a sprinkling of high C's. I def don't study all the time and keep up with tv/movies/gym but when it was kind of sad/stressful when class rankings came out.

this is refreshing because it stresses me out to see all the other people that are getting "straight passes" and I'm getting passes with a sprinkling of passes.
Fixed that for you.

Reactions: 7 users
No specialty is ruled out by being a "B" student - If you are ranked at the bottom of your class (provided you havent failed anything), but your Step scores are good, then nothing is ruled out

Bear in mind that students at the bottom of their class typically do not have good board scores.