Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello - losing steam needed for this whole ordeal. Has anyone else dealt with this? I am looking at DO school stats, those applicants not receiving any acceptances for the last cycle, those being autoscreened from this cycle, etc. and it is taking a toll on me. I don't think I will be able to continue to work full-time and take the credits I need to get my GPA to the schools' average (uGPA=3.07, sGPA=3.70, cGPA=3.18). I want to reach the 3.4 mark (DO retakes), as this seems to be the avg GPA at most DO schools - though a hypothetical 24 credit hours of retakes at an A per class only pushes me to a 3.35. I have completed bio, gen chem, and phys sequences, but still need org chem I and II. Further, as I only have one upper level science course which was taken many years ago, which I received a C in, I feel I need to take 2-3 upper level science courses as well. I know I have to dig my feet into the ground and keep grinding it out if this is what I want (and it is), but it seems futile - an incredible risk in time for a person in their early 30s, professional years going to waste, for a very unlikely outcome. Also, should we modify the title of this thread to include underdogs above 3.0?

Best wishes to all who are applying this cycle or to those like me battling to get there one day.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello - losing steam needed for this whole ordeal. Has anyone else dealt with this? I am looking at DO school stats, those applicants not receiving any acceptances for the last cycle, those being autoscreened from this cycle, etc. and it is taking a toll on me. I don't think I will be able to continue to work full-time and take the credits I need to get my GPA to the schools' average (uGPA=3.07, sGPA=3.70, cGPA=3.18). I want to reach the 3.4 mark (DO retakes), as this seems to be the avg GPA at most DO schools - though a hypothetical 24 credit hours of retakes at an A per class only pushes me to a 3.35. I have completed bio, gen chem, and phys sequences, but still need org chem I and II. Further, as I only have one upper level science course which was taken many years ago, which I received a C in, I feel I need to take 2-3 upper level science courses as well. I know I have to dig my feet into the ground and keep grinding it out if this is what I want (and it is), but it seems futile - an incredible risk in time for a person in their early 30s, professional years going to waste, for a very unlikely outcome. Also, should we modify the title of this thread to include underdogs above 3.0?

Best wishes to all who are applying this cycle or to those like me battling to get there one day.

Hey there. I think many of us have been where you are. I was 32 when I bit the bullet and did a new bachelor's nearly from scratch (my cGPA was even lower than yours when I started). I remember thinking back in 2012: "Applying in three years? That's forever and a half in the future! The world could end before then!" Now it feels like I just blinked, and suddenly it was 2015 and I was hitting submit. It's honestly amazing looking back now and wondering where the time went.

Getting those retakes for DO is a good start. Upper level science, definite check. Many of the schools on my AACOMAS list wanted me to mark my upper level science classes, so I know they're looking. Remember that the new MCAT has biochemistry, psychology, and sociology content added in; have you taken any of those recently? Many schools have changed their requirements to reflect that, so those are other opportunities to boost your GPA. Also keep in mind that upward trends can count for quite a bit, even if your GPA isn't pristine.

It absolutely hasn't been easy juggling two jobs and school. I've felt that "losing steam" feeling more than once, but now in application year I can say it's been worth it. Is it a risk? Certainly. I'll be 35 in a few weeks. If all goes well this year I'll be 36 when starting medical school, 40 at the start of residency. I've met people tenacious enough to have applied 3 or 4 years in a row. I have as much respect for them as I do for someone who says, "You know what, it's not worth it". So long as the decision is what's going to make you happy.

Best of luck to you.

(Addendum: I believe the title of the thread came from the fact that 3.0 is the minimum to escape the dreaded auto-screen at many schools, so those of us that started below that have that mountain to climb before anything else.)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey there. I think many of us have been where you are. I was 32 when I bit the bullet and did a new bachelor's nearly from scratch (my cGPA was even lower than yours when I started). I remember thinking back in 2012: "Applying in three years? That's forever and a half in the future! The world could end before then!" Now it feels like I just blinked, and suddenly it was 2015 and I was hitting submit. It's honestly amazing looking back now and wondering where the time went.

Getting those retakes for DO is a good start. Upper level science, definite check. Many of the schools on my AACOMAS list wanted me to mark my upper level science classes, so I know they're looking. Remember that the new MCAT has biochemistry, psychology, and sociology content added in; have you taken any of those recently? Many schools have changed their requirements to reflect that, so those are other opportunities to boost your GPA. Also keep in mind that upward trends can count for quite a bit, even if your GPA isn't pristine.

It absolutely hasn't been easy juggling two jobs and school. I've felt that "losing steam" feeling more than once, but now in application year I can say it's been worth it. Is it a risk? Certainly. I'll be 35 in a few weeks. If all goes well this year I'll be 36 when starting medical school, 40 at the start of residency. I've met people tenacious enough to have applied 3 or 4 years in a row. I have as much respect for them as I do for someone who says, "You know what, it's not worth it". So long as the decision is what's going to make you happy.

Best of luck to you.

(Addendum: I believe the title of the thread came from the fact that 3.0 is the minimum to escape the dreaded auto-screen at many schools, so those of us that started below that have that mountain to climb before anything else.)

Thanks for the reply - and congrat's on your success in making it as far as you have!

I am taking a psych class this summer. I have never taken a sociology class, though I have taken a cultural anthro course once. I am also volunteering a little, which I want to amp up, and as mentioned working full-time. It can be a culmination of a lot of small things that keep chipping away at me (which I know shouldn't matter - and they don't overly) for example my spouse and friends moving up the professional ladder, advancing their career, and I am taking freshman level undergrad courses. In the end, I know with hard work and dedication, similar to that which I have been giving, it will pay off. All of this is also taking into account that I have this fear of not being able to sustain this string of good grades. It only takes one bad exam grade... I also feel like I need to be realistic and have my aspirations scaled back due to the fact that I will be in my early 40's by the time I finish - and my time practicing and what I can accomplish in research will be reduced by ~10 years. Enough complaining from me! Have a nice weekend and thanks for the response. Good luck to you on your applications.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We're similar ages underdog and yeah, freshman courses can be sorta depressing when you compare your current state to your friends or spouse. Is he/she on board with your goals? That's extremely important. Time is going to pass, quickly, regardless of what you do. If you stay the course, you'll soon be in a position for upper level whatever and you'll look back at your onset like it was yesterday. Alternatively, you may look back and say "what if."

You have to make a decision of whether to go all in or not. I feel the same pressure of "that one test", but I prepare accordingly and am ready for anything the professors wants to throw. You can not let them dictate your grades at this point. That's easier for me to say though since I'm not locked into a FT job. Do you have any ability to drop hours? This is the toughest road to travel and there's no half assing allowed, either do it gung ho or simply "retire" to your current career and be content. There's nothing wrong with either. Try to embrace the journey if this is what you truly want.

Reactions: 1 user
We're similar ages underdog and yeah, freshman courses can be sorta depressing when you compare your current state to your friends or spouse. Is he/she on board with your goals? That's extremely important. Time is going to pass, quickly, regardless of what you do. If you stay the course, you'll soon be in a position for upper level whatever and you'll look back at your onset like it was yesterday. Alternatively, you may look back and say "what if."

You have to make a decision of whether to go all in or not. I feel the same pressure of "that one test", but I prepare accordingly and am ready for anything the professors wants to throw. You can not let them dictate your grades at this point. That's easier for me to say though since I'm not locked into a FT job. Do you have any ability to drop hours? This is the toughest road to travel and there's no half assing allowed, either do it gung ho or simply "retire" to your current career and be content. There's nothing wrong with either. Try to embrace the journey if this is what you truly want.

Thanks to you as well for the response. My spouse is on board - but they can at times be hesitant about money being spent on courses (which is 100% legitimate concern). I have thought about asking my boss if I can begin working as a part-time employee, and if not moving on, but have not yet crossed that road. However, I do feel as if I need to help and provide, and so there is some sense of hesitation and guilt in going that route. I agree about the half-assed efforts, and am on board with your sentiment about all or nothing. There is no doubt that this is what I want to do, what I believe I will succeed at, and what will make me happy - So I am full-steam ahead. I appreciate your response, and everyone else's. This site is my only outlet, and so all of you have helped tremendously. Thanks again - and best of luck to you as well.

Last edited:
Hello all.
I am in a very tight spot myself. Im a non trad art student who never knew "how" to study properly for the science curriculum. When I first attended school approximately 3 yrs ago, I rarely if any, studied. I got a C in Bio1, C in Chem1, and their respective labs. I then took Chem2 and Bio 2 and never attended the lecture and only the labs. I was going thru a great deal at the time in my home with very great financial problems (car repos etc). My bio 2 lab was a C and Chem2 lab was a B+. I took Physics w/o calc and failed that course out of pure frustration and procrastination. I got an A+ in the lab.

In my bachelor's of fine arts degree, I received a 3.5 GPA. I am now looking to retake every science course I've gotten a C or below in, in addition, I also will use the forgiveness policy at my school that erases up to three grades and replaces them with your highest future grade if retaken and not averaging them with prior scores. I went thru a terrible period during my 2nd sem with my school and it put me into terrible depression.

This fall, I am retaking Chem 1 to get an A and probably Bio1 as well to get an A. Then the next sem Ill retake Chem2 and Bio2 and aim for A's. What I've come to learn is that I always and sometimes still am very hard on myself. I used to feel that I was "stupid" and dumb, until I started seeing that many of my, now dental school students, friends were outgoing and knew how to have fun and seemed "normal" Its just that they were active in studying unlike myself at that time. Ive learned that study habits are what separate the low from the higher GPA's.

Therefore, Ive, for the last month or so, been going over my chem book on my own, chapter by chapter. Learning how to properly "read" a textbook and take valuable notes in my own chem binder. Also Ive been practicing problems at the chapter end, a way to get used to studying and retaining info for the upcoming semester. Ive been doing this almost daily including weekends especially...and at least a couple hours+/day on weekends with at least an hour or so on weekdays. I currently work for a dentist and prosthodontist who taught in D school in Michigan so im gaining valuable exp dealing with patients CT and xray scans and insurance etc.

My overall gpa is 3.5 from my degree and I also took Japanese (4 credits) and got a B+..not sure if that counts towards overall???

My sgpa is beyond low...in fact the lowest of the low...a 1.3 sgpa. Ive taken 24 credits to receive this. This came from the 2 classes I never stepped foot in and the one physics I failed along with those C's....embarrassed and very depressed. However, as stated I will retake every one of these courses and aim for A's. Especially that i am obsessed with doing well, because I KNOW I can. Hell, i was a bad student in high school and became the same way, obsessed with academic success and went from a C and D student to straight A's overnight.

The point of this is to not only ventilate but to introduce myself. Im 28 and I strive to be successful as a dentist. Never think you are the only one in the boat, there are some in the water trying to reach your boat... good day to you all.

Wow this thread is giving me hope!
Sometimes though I wonder if this hope is futile.. D:

Wow this thread is giving me hope!
Sometimes though I wonder if this hope is futile.. D:

It is if you think it is. One thing ive learned is to not hope...hope is for people that expect failure. People on this site have bashed me for my sgpa because they think they're better or whatever. I dont care. You go after what you want. And you keep trucking and go and get it. Watch this:

This is amazing.. I read this whole post, including all the replies within a span of 2 days.
In reality, 2 years have passed since the beginning of this post till now, and seeing some people go after it even after 2 years.. is just amazing.
Props to everyone on here.
Remember to come back to share you guys' success stories as well!

Hello all,

cGPA: 2.75 graduated as non-science major.

Some of my past science courses:

Chem for allied health: C
Intro Biochem: C
Intro Bio: B
Micro: B
Anatomy: C
Physiology: B
Molecular Bio: F ( nearly 10 years ago)

My current plan to finish pre-reqs are as follow:

Summer 2015: Trig ( Currently unsure if I can even get a B in this course)

Fall 2015: Intro Chem and Gen Bio 1

Winter 2016: Retake Trig if cannot get at least a B

Spring 2016: Gen Chem 1 and Gen Bio 2

Summer 2016: Shadow a D.O.

Fall 2016: Gen Chem 2 and Physic 1

Winter 2017: Retake Statistic due to C

Spring 2017: Physic 2 and Ochem 1

Fall 2017: Ochem 2 and Biochem

My goal is to apply to D.O. school only.

Hey guys, Long time viewer of the forum first time poster. First I want to say thank you to all of you posting on here, you are giving tons of positive encouragement to people like me. I have just recently graduated with a bachelors in psych. I am accepted into a graduate school, and took one year off to work in the field and make sure it was something I truly wanted to do. During this year I questioned many times if working in the psych. Field is what I want to do the rest of my life. Also during this year I spent some time shadowing my cousin, an ortho surgeon, and my friends father, an er doctor, and have really been drawn to pursue a career in medicine. I had an undergrad gpa of 2.83, i played baseball and was foolish enough to think that would be my job and did not take school serious. I have been looking at post bac. Programs and need some input. I am having trouble finding programs that do not have a minimum gpa requirement of 3.0. Where did some of you go, or what route did you take? Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

Hey guys, Long time viewer of the forum first time poster. First I want to say thank you to all of you posting on here, you are giving tons of positive encouragement to people like me. I have just recently graduated with a bachelors in psych. I am accepted into a graduate school, and took one year off to work in the field and make sure it was something I truly wanted to do. During this year I questioned many times if working in the psych. Field is what I want to do the rest of my life. Also during this year I spent some time shadowing my cousin, an ortho surgeon, and my friends father, an er doctor, and have really been drawn to pursue a career in medicine. I had an undergrad gpa of 2.83, i played baseball and was foolish enough to think that would be my job and did not take school serious. I have been looking at post bac. Programs and need some input. I am having trouble finding programs that do not have a minimum gpa requirement of 3.0. Where did some of you go, or what route did you take? Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

Hey, I had a 2.8 when I started school 3 years ago. I managed to bring my GPA up quite a bit using grade replacement. You should use the http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aacomas-gpa-calculator-revised.839864/ and mess around with any courses you got a C/D/F in and see what your GPA ends up being.

Your best bet is probably to retake the courses you got a C/D/F in at a community college (or university, although it will be more expensive). If you have a couple F's in your transcript that you can retake that will boost your GPA tremendously.

I wouldn't do a structured post-bacc for 2 reasons.
1) More expensive
2) If you mess up (gpa <3.5) you are going to be in a much worse spot.

If you are serious about medicine I wouldn't pursue the masters. It's not going to help your app, costs $$$ and time you could have been retaking courses and increasing your uGPA.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback Mike. I did not take many science classes in college, besides the general study ones. What all classes would I need to take for applying to a med school?

Thank you for the feedback Mike. I did not take many science classes in college, besides the general study ones. What all classes would I need to take for applying to a med school?

Generally speaking:

One year of Biology with lab
One year of General Chemistry with lab
One year of Organic Chemistry with lab (Some schools only want one semester, or will allow substitution with Biochemistry)
One year of Physics with lab
Often, also a year of college English

Many schools have requirements beyond this, particularly now that the 2015 MCAT features biochemistry, psychology, and sociology on top of Bio/Chem/OChem/Phys. The MSAR is your best resource for seeing exactly what each school requires.

I have this same issue myself. Although my degree (non trad art student) gpa was high, 3.5 my sgpa was extremely low due to some serious personal issues that affected me plus a high demanding job at the time, this was in 2010-2011. I ended up even forgetting to drop a couple courses that I never attended resulting in a very low sgpa sub 2.0!!!. So i definitely understand the pressures there. One thing tho: I plan to retake every C and F courses and go after A's. I had a rough start due to issues and not having proper study methods coming from doing graphics and such. For the past 2 months, I've been reviewing mainly chemistry from chapters 1-7, reading the chapters, taking notes and practicing the in and end chapter reviews questions to get a grasp on HOW to study. I've so far, only have completed 24 credits, ending in bio2 and chem2, never made it to orgo. But, im positive that I will do well because I will study everyday and not just the last week, to keep up with concepts so when its time to study for the exam, I will just need to review and practice. Bio is the one im afraid of for some reason. I hate memorizing alot and prefer to work through problems but to each his own.

So, I am just beginning the path to pre-health after a long road to clarity. I want to become an amazing endocrinologist, specifically pediatrics, as I've had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis my entire life. I've struggled with depression, health problems, and am very much a late-bloomer. I wasn't even ready for high school when I was going through it, but somehow managed to graduate with a 2.85 (3.8 my senior year) and go off to college without ever really learning how to study.

Anyhoo... I attended my undergraduate degree off and on between 2000 and 2007. I managed to get down to a 1.3 my sophomore year and am really not sure why I never thought to myself, "Meow, you need to take a break. You're ruining your academic career." but that never occurred. Sadly. I finished, after several C's, a few D's, and a couple of F's, with a 2.1 GPA. Shortly after graduating, I was unable to find employment (the economy had tanked) so I attempted to work on a second bachelors at a local college outside of my alma mater. I took 4 classes and bombed that experience, sadly, and was dismissed from the school after 2 semesters. I attribute some of my struggles to something very traumatic happening prior to the start of the semester, but still own that I screwed up. I should have never registered for school when I did, but was desperate due to the employment struggles.

After being dismissed, I transferred to a community college and completed two years there. First year I studied graphic design, but realized that I preferred the coding aspect of design, so I moved to Web Programming. I really started to learn self-discipline and get better at studying during my time there. I completed the 2 year Web degree within a year, if that says something. I transferred to my original college and took some coursework, using my Web degree, toward an Information Systems degree, but eventually left due to money availability. That was in 2012. I worked for a year and eventually was hired for the same university. A benefit we get is some tuition waiver credit toward 3 courses a year, so I took a couple of graduate level classes in Information Technology and finished them both with a 4.0. I then took the GRE and applied and was accepted. I am 4 courses away from completing this degree and have a 3.62 GPA due to a couple of B's. I'm still ill about ruining my 4.0 GPA.

I realize though that this is now where my passion lies. My passion has always been health and medicine, clinging to science and anything related to the medical field from as early as I can remember. My mom is/was a nurse, so I learned a good deal from her, as well as what I could pick up from her medical and nursing texts we had around the house. Life Sciences and Biology were all rather strong subjects for me growing up. My health issues keeping me on my toes all this time has turned be into a walking encyclopedia on anything related to what I've read about and learned about my condition and other possibilities. I believe that while there has been great progress in the field since I was born, a lot is still misunderstood about how endocrine disorders affect children. Especially when these disorders are congenital. I want to help research and learn more about how the systems interact, find areas that haven't been explored yet, and try to bring more understanding and happiness to the lives of the patients that have to live with these issues for the rest of their lives. I've been trying to find my place in teh world since I began college, but never found what fit. I changed my major a lot, struggled with motivation and in persevering. I was very self-destructive. Any thought of ever pursuing medicine, which was an early goal until I really lost my self-esteem and crashed to the 1.3, was laughed off as a pipe dream. A joke.

I am very intelligent and I'm more than prepared to tackle the pre-medicine requirements and kick butt. However, due to my bad undergraduate GPA, I am a bit at a loss as to where my next steps should be. I will meet with the pre-health adviser at my university tomorrow to discuss what options she might have available, but I know that I have a long road however I go about it. Email discussions with the student office in charge for grade replacement and forgiveness basically told me I'm screwed. Since I've graduated, grade forgiveness or replacement is not an option. I was rebuffed away also because I'm in graduate school. I had 162 GPA hours in my undergraduate from pre-graduate and from the classes I did post-bac. I would have to maintain a 4.0 GPA for at least 128 hours to get my GPA to a 3.0 at this school, which is more than another degree. That's 3 times the pre-reqs for medical school. Given my history, should I really just scratch my dream of medicine and give up due to how much damage I've incurred along my journey? I need to retake Calc 1, as that was one of my F's (WF, dropped too late), which if replaced (if the dang school would allow it) would bring my GPA to almost a 2.3. Should I look at attending another school and doing 4.0 quality work there? I more or less need all the science requirements and maths needed to apply and prepare for the MCAT, so there's room to show I'm capable. Due to limited finances and since I'm employed full-time, I'm really trying to be realistic as I can, but the dream is big. If this possible, what would be the most beneficial path to doing what I need to get the shadow of my past to fade a bit? Another bachelors entirely? I'd have to fund it completely out of pocket and already have a fair bit of student debt from the previous trainwreck of an education. If I do with my tuition waiver, that's 3 courses a year. I'm already almost 33, so I need to get moving. I'm planning to finish my masters because I'm almost done. I went for this program to have a renewed GPA for whatever I decided to do after. Unfortunately, med schools aren't going to care too much about my aptitude for computers. I don't want to work with them for the rest of my life. I want to help people in a real way.

I look forward to whatever feedback you all can give me. I'm open to alternatives that would also allow me explore the field and hopefully help making changes. I'm open-minded. Hopefully, I don't come across a whining nut-bag. I realize the mess I've gotten myself into and own my past mistakes. I just need some clear-headed feedback on how I can maybe dig my way out of this hole I've dug myself into. Thanks for your time.

So, I am just beginning the path to pre-health after a long road to clarity. I want to become an amazing endocrinologist, specifically pediatrics, as I've had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis my entire life. I've struggled with depression, health problems, and am very much a late-bloomer. I wasn't even ready for high school when I was going through it, but somehow managed to graduate with a 2.85 (3.8 my senior year) and go off to college without ever really learning how to study.

Anyhoo... I attended my undergraduate degree off and on between 2000 and 2007. I managed to get down to a 1.3 my sophomore year and am really not sure why I never thought to myself, "Meow, you need to take a break. You're ruining your academic career." but that never occurred. Sadly. I finished, after several C's, a few D's, and a couple of F's, with a 2.1 GPA. Shortly after graduating, I was unable to find employment (the economy had tanked) so I attempted to work on a second bachelors at a local college outside of my alma mater. I took 4 classes and bombed that experience, sadly, and was dismissed from the school after 2 semesters. I attribute some of my struggles to something very traumatic happening prior to the start of the semester, but still own that I screwed up. I should have never registered for school when I did, but was desperate due to the employment struggles.

After being dismissed, I transferred to a community college and completed two years there. First year I studied graphic design, but realized that I preferred the coding aspect of design, so I moved to Web Programming. I really started to learn self-discipline and get better at studying during my time there. I completed the 2 year Web degree within a year, if that says something. I transferred to my original college and took some coursework, using my Web degree, toward an Information Systems degree, but eventually left due to money availability. That was in 2012. I worked for a year and eventually was hired for the same university. A benefit we get is some tuition waiver credit toward 3 courses a year, so I took a couple of graduate level classes in Information Technology and finished them both with a 4.0. I then took the GRE and applied and was accepted. I am 4 courses away from completing this degree and have a 3.62 GPA due to a couple of B's. I'm still ill about ruining my 4.0 GPA.

I realize though that this is now where my passion lies. My passion has always been health and medicine, clinging to science and anything related to the medical field from as early as I can remember. My mom is/was a nurse, so I learned a good deal from her, as well as what I could pick up from her medical and nursing texts we had around the house. Life Sciences and Biology were all rather strong subjects for me growing up. My health issues keeping me on my toes all this time has turned be into a walking encyclopedia on anything related to what I've read about and learned about my condition and other possibilities. I believe that while there has been great progress in the field since I was born, a lot is still misunderstood about how endocrine disorders affect children. Especially when these disorders are congenital. I want to help research and learn more about how the systems interact, find areas that haven't been explored yet, and try to bring more understanding and happiness to the lives of the patients that have to live with these issues for the rest of their lives. I've been trying to find my place in teh world since I began college, but never found what fit. I changed my major a lot, struggled with motivation and in persevering. I was very self-destructive. Any thought of ever pursuing medicine, which was an early goal until I really lost my self-esteem and crashed to the 1.3, was laughed off as a pipe dream. A joke.

I am very intelligent and I'm more than prepared to tackle the pre-medicine requirements and kick butt. However, due to my bad undergraduate GPA, I am a bit at a loss as to where my next steps should be. I will meet with the pre-health adviser at my university tomorrow to discuss what options she might have available, but I know that I have a long road however I go about it. Email discussions with the student office in charge for grade replacement and forgiveness basically told me I'm screwed. Since I've graduated, grade forgiveness or replacement is not an option. I was rebuffed away also because I'm in graduate school. I had 162 GPA hours in my undergraduate from pre-graduate and from the classes I did post-bac. I would have to maintain a 4.0 GPA for at least 128 hours to get my GPA to a 3.0 at this school, which is more than another degree. That's 3 times the pre-reqs for medical school. Given my history, should I really just scratch my dream of medicine and give up due to how much damage I've incurred along my journey? I need to retake Calc 1, as that was one of my F's (WF, dropped too late), which if replaced (if the dang school would allow it) would bring my GPA to almost a 2.3. Should I look at attending another school and doing 4.0 quality work there? I more or less need all the science requirements and maths needed to apply and prepare for the MCAT, so there's room to show I'm capable. Due to limited finances and since I'm employed full-time, I'm really trying to be realistic as I can, but the dream is big. If this possible, what would be the most beneficial path to doing what I need to get the shadow of my past to fade a bit? Another bachelors entirely? I'd have to fund it completely out of pocket and already have a fair bit of student debt from the previous trainwreck of an education. If I do with my tuition waiver, that's 3 courses a year. I'm already almost 33, so I need to get moving. I'm planning to finish my masters because I'm almost done. I went for this program to have a renewed GPA for whatever I decided to do after. Unfortunately, med schools aren't going to care too much about my aptitude for computers. I don't want to work with them for the rest of my life. I want to help people in a real way.

I look forward to whatever feedback you all can give me. I'm open to alternatives that would also allow me explore the field and hopefully help making changes. I'm open-minded. Hopefully, I don't come across a whining nut-bag. I realize the mess I've gotten myself into and own my past mistakes. I just need some clear-headed feedback on how I can maybe dig my way out of this hole I've dug myself into. Thanks for your time.
Sorry, so what's your:
total UG (including post-bacc that's not Grad) cGPA
UG (including post-bacc that's not Grad) sGPA
total combined UG/Grad GPA
total combined UG/Grad sGPA
MCAT
How many credits are science (no math) that are C/D/F/WF?
Do you have recent real science classes that you have aced? IMO, Grad IT courses aren't really the same "style" as hard science, so your studying habits for science classes may still need to be updated.
Oh yeah. Welcome to the group! I just woke up so my compassion meter was off.

Last edited:
total UG (including post-bacc that's not Grad) cGPA: 2.21 at school A (where a bulk of my credits were taken), 3.38 at another (community college, associates degree pre and post-bacc coursework), 1 F at school B (online, summer accelerated calculus was a mistake while working full-time), and 4 not-so-great classes at school C (which immediately followed school A. Whoops).
UG (including post-bacc that's not Grad) sGPA: 1.2. I have not taken much BCPM coursework, but there are a couple of WFs in the mix, and an F.
total combined UG/Grad GPA: How would I accurately calculate this? I have the 2.28 cGPA UG and a 3.62 in my Grad GPA.
total combined UG/Grad sGPA: I have not taken any science courses in graduate school.
MCAT: I have not taken the MCAT yet. I need all the prerequisite courses for pre-med before I tackle this.
How many credits are science (no math) that are C/D/F/WF? Only two. I retook BIO105 (Bio for non-science majors) and got a B+ 2nd time around from an F my first semester. I'd imagine on AACOMAS that F would not matter. I never went to class, so I deserved that F. Next, I have a WF in CHE105 which I dropped too late during a particularly dismal semester where I was sleeping 17 hours a day. I cannot retake that as they dissolved that course, but it was for non-science majors as well, so I expect that if I manage to get an A in CHE111/112 and all subsequent courses will count for something. My lack of science background I hope will only help me in trying to repair the trainwreck that has been my undergraduate career. Do Astronomy classes count toward the science GPA?
Do you have recent real science classes that you have aced?: I have not taken them yet. I am signed up to take CHE111/112 concurrently with my masters courses (3 classes total) this semester, so I hope that I can write back that I aced it and am on my way to greatness.

I drank a lot during my undergraduate degree, was really unfocused and immature for my age, and had a myriad of health-related issues. I have a ton of W's pre-2010 and changed my major a lot. I know I wanted to pursue medicine in the beginning, but after my GPA dipped to a 1.3 halfway through the UG degree, I kind of lost any spark of trying. I wasn't ready anyway. I am completely sober now and take MUCH better care of myself and my health than I did previously. I'm maintaining a 3.5+ GPA and working a full-time job. I completely own that I screwed myself over a good bit with my lifestyle and habits in the past. I made a lot of really poor choices. I was not ready for college (or life) probably until my late 20s's, but I can't go back in time and fix that. I can only move forward. I just need to know if I'm being insane for thinking that med school is possible. I've got 40+ hours of science and maths I need to take, so that's a good chunk of a place to prove myself. I'm open to SMP as well, if that in combination with my upward trend will help. Hope the information helps and I'll try to answer what I can.

total UG (including post-bacc that's not Grad) cGPA: 2.21 at school A (where a bulk of my credits were taken), 3.38 at another (community college, associates degree pre and post-bacc coursework), 1 F at school B (online, summer accelerated calculus was a mistake while working full-time), and 4 not-so-great classes at school C (which immediately followed school A. Whoops).
UG (including post-bacc that's not Grad) sGPA: 1.2. I have not taken much BCPM coursework, but there are a couple of WFs in the mix, and an F.
total combined UG/Grad GPA: How would I accurately calculate this? I have the 2.28 cGPA UG and a 3.62 in my Grad GPA.
total combined UG/Grad sGPA: I have not taken any science courses in graduate school.
MCAT: I have not taken the MCAT yet. I need all the prerequisite courses for pre-med before I tackle this.
How many credits are science (no math) that are C/D/F/WF? Only two. I retook BIO105 (Bio for non-science majors) and got a B+ 2nd time around from an F my first semester. I'd imagine on AACOMAS that F would not matter. I never went to class, so I deserved that F. Next, I have a WF in CHE105 which I dropped too late during a particularly dismal semester where I was sleeping 17 hours a day. I cannot retake that as they dissolved that course, but it was for non-science majors as well, so I expect that if I manage to get an A in CHE111/112 and all subsequent courses will count for something. My lack of science background I hope will only help me in trying to repair the trainwreck that has been my undergraduate career. Do Astronomy classes count toward the science GPA?
Do you have recent real science classes that you have aced?: I have not taken them yet. I am signed up to take CHE111/112 concurrently with my masters courses (3 classes total) this semester, so I hope that I can write back that I aced it and am on my way to greatness.

I drank a lot during my undergraduate degree, was really unfocused and immature for my age, and had a myriad of health-related issues. I have a ton of W's pre-2010 and changed my major a lot. I know I wanted to pursue medicine in the beginning, but after my GPA dipped to a 1.3 halfway through the UG degree, I kind of lost any spark of trying. I wasn't ready anyway. I am completely sober now and take MUCH better care of myself and my health than I did previously. I'm maintaining a 3.5+ GPA and working a full-time job. I completely own that I screwed myself over a good bit with my lifestyle and habits in the past. I made a lot of really poor choices. I was not ready for college (or life) probably until my late 20s's, but I can't go back in time and fix that. I can only move forward. I just need to know if I'm being insane for thinking that med school is possible. I've got 40+ hours of science and maths I need to take, so that's a good chunk of a place to prove myself. I'm open to SMP as well, if that in combination with my upward trend will help. Hope the information helps and I'll try to answer what I can.

I'm trying to parse this as well to figure out what to tell you. I'm seeing different numbers here (and apologies if I'm just not reading correctly; I'm tired). In one spot you say your cGPA (undergrad only) is 2.28. But before you said 2.21 at school A and 3.38 at a CC (which may or may not be school B, I can't tell from your story). And then...a third school? I think?

Anyway, your CC courses count in the total uGPA -- all college-level coursework factors in -- so your final uGPA right now is possibly higher than 2.28 (unless you had an absurd number of credits at school A and only like three classes at the CC). What is your uGPA if counting ALL your undergrad work from ALL your undergrad schools? Is it still 2.28? How many total undergrad credit hours do you have? Use a GPA calculator, because you have to account for diminishing returns.

If you intend to apply MD, be aware that they will not combine your undergrad cGPA with your grad GPA. Your undergrad cGPA needs work as it stands, which is going to mean more undergrad-level work to get it above a 3.0 if it's not there already (and 3.0 is the absolute bare minimum). You said you haven't completed most of your sciences yet, which is good. Be aware many many schools also now want biochemistry, college English, humanities, etc. I'd strongly suggest buying the MSAR and browsing through schools to see what pre-reqs you still need, because if you haven't completed most of the pre-reqs yet that's in your favor. On the MD trail, if you retake the classes you got a D/F/whatever in they will take the average of the two grades.

DO on the other hand will consider your graduate GPA (might want to page @Goro for clarification on that). Also with DO grade replacement, if you retake those early failed courses and get a higher grade, DO schools will only consider the most recent one (and not average them like MD). This could be a good thing for you.

That sGPA is a killer no matter what. You said you haven't taken much BCPM yet, so that's in your favor. It might be good for you to search SDN for an AMCAS (and/or AACOMAS) GPA calculator and plug all your classes into it. Then you can play with it by plugging in some projected future grades and see exactly how many credit hours with X grades you'd need to pull everything up. That's what I did way back in the beginning and it helped me immensely.

Whatever you do, you have got to pull out the stops and do well. Strong upward trends count, especially if poor grades were a long time ago, but it has to be just that -- a strong upward trend. It can be done, just read our stories in this thread. But along the way you have to show (show, not tell) adcoms that you have figured out what went wrong, worked to fix whatever was holding you back, and can now handle a rigorous academic schedule. Keep in mind that with time in front of you, you also need to be thinking about things like shadowing and clinical experiences. You're at a good place to get going on that.

I apparently had started to edit that row, but got distracted and didn't finished my thought there. I apologize for the confusion. Overall, I have attended 4 schools total since 2000. School A is my Alma mater (and graduate school). School B should be the community college. School C is the 4 classes at a local private school when I should have taken a break. I had something very traumatic happen right before I enrolled there, so the fact I passed the courses was a miracle unto itself, but definitely not the improvement plan I idealized it would be. I was dismissed due to not being a 2.0 (Spring and Summer semesters). School D (appropriate designation, really) is the one class I failed the crap out of for that accelerated calc course. Since that trainwreck at school D, I have tirelessly studied pedagogy to teach myself how to study, how to test, and how to manage my time better. Those skills are showing in my graduate degree success. People scoff at online programs, but there is a lot of course material to learn on your own, to test well in, as well as group projects to coordinate and complete.

I completed some UG coursework off and on at the community college (B) between semesters at school A. After I graduated from A, and my trainwreck at school C, I completed an AAS in Web Technologies (web development) at school B, with at least a 3.5 in my major. Earlier C's (pre-postbac work) hurt the overall average since it gets added in. I have been adding school B coursework (after my BA) to postbacc. The school B courses before I earned by BA I factor where appropriate. I fully intend to retake the calculus course from school D. I don't hate math and kind of enjoy mastering the patterns. I've just been approaching it wrong.

Unfortunately, two of my failing grades (a WF and an F) are in classes no longer offered at my university. As mentioned before, showing the ability to succeed in more rigorous courses of the chemistry class hopefully will overshadow that WF from before. The other F is completely unrelated to science (an anthropology linguistics class in a semester prior to academic suspension at school A for not improving my probation status in 2003). I would not even know how to take an equivalency course to override the F. I have some D's in language courses I could retake. I'm more than confident I could ace Japanese, French, and German now. Is that really worth the expense though? Having done an English degree, I have considerable coursework in that subject.

I was on the struggle bus for a long time... I just wish my dumb butt hadn't taken so many classes. I'd sign up for whatever tickled my fancy "I wanna learn this!" and either do well, do okay, do hideous, or split.

I fully intend to finish my masters to show I can stick to what I start. It will also be a useful backup if my med school dreams don't pan out. I begin the quiet entry into premed this fall though with a single chemistry w/ lab course. I'll do the same in the spring. I am planning to take the first BLS/CPR certification course I can get into to prepare for some sort of clinical experience. I'm trying to decide between EMT, CMA, or a scribe. I need to keep my full-time job at the help desk, but I work a 4 day week starting on Sunday, so I'd have pretty fair availability for 20-30 clinical experience a week (if PT isn't available). I am also attending the volunteer orientation/interest meeting at the local hospital next week. My sister is an ER physician, so I've emailed her for her opinion and possibly some tips. Maybe networking as well. My premed adviser told me shadowing isn't so important for someone that knows what they want to do, especially for non-traditional, and that the clinical experience will hold more weight in the end. She also urged to have consistent volunteer experiences while I complete my premed requirements + possible SMP-type program if I need the extra boost. I plan to get started with the hospital volunteering and go from there. I'm thinking I'd like to try to branch out to the children's hospital in a neighboring city given my interest in working with pediatrics.

100% correct.

DO on the other hand will consider your graduate GPA (might want to page @Goro for clarification on that). Also with DO grade replacement, if you retake those early failed courses and get a higher grade, DO schools will only consider the most recent one (and not average them like MD). This could be a good thing for you.

100% correct.

Let's just lay out the F's I have: BIO-105 (non-science bio) F, BIO-105 ("") B+ (DO replaced), CHE-106 (non-science chemistry, cannot retake for replacement) WF, ATY-387 (linguistics, cannot retake for replacement) F, MAT-191 (calculus, 3hr) WF, MAT-140 (calculus, 4hr) F. I believe that is all of my failed courses. I have a lot of D's (more than I'm comfortable with), but only one is in math/science I think, and that was AST-235 (more or less General Astronomy II, geared toward non-science majors) with a D. Other D's were in language (Japanese 101, German 102, French 204), one English course (17th century literature... mostly tied to attendance popping down the grade), and a Theatre Appreciation class I despised (and should have withdrawn from) my first semester in college. I have a couple of D's at school C (Formal Logic (I melted down on the final paper after someone presented the same topic...) and a music class that I missed a paper deadline. It's enough to be worrisome to admissions, but not a ton considering I have taken a ridiculous amount of hours to get myself above the 1.3 I had by the end of sophomore year. School C courses were all post-bacc, as were the calculus courses I F/WF in. Since I had two poor attempts, would they only look at the final attempt at a DO, assuming I retake and get an A? That'd be amazing if so. What would be your recommendation with the others. I have a lot of C's, but nothing relevant (beyond points) toward a medical career. Example: I would very much like to not have to retake managerial accounting to replace that C+.

I strongly suggest that you retake all F/D/C science coursework, and do very well on MCAT.

Let's just lay out the F's I have: BIO-105 (non-science bio) F, BIO-105 ("") B+ (DO replaced), CHE-106 (non-science chemistry, cannot retake for replacement) WF, ATY-387 (linguistics, cannot retake for replacement) F, MAT-191 (calculus, 3hr) WF, MAT-140 (calculus, 4hr) F. I believe that is all of my failed courses. I have a lot of D's (more than I'm comfortable with), but only one is in math/science I think, and that was AST-235 (more or less General Astronomy II, geared toward non-science majors) with a D. Other D's were in language (Japanese 101, German 102, French 204), one English course (17th century literature... mostly tied to attendance popping down the grade), and a Theatre Appreciation class I despised (and should have withdrawn from) my first semester in college. I have a couple of D's at school C (Formal Logic (I melted down on the final paper after someone presented the same topic...) and a music class that I missed a paper deadline. It's enough to be worrisome to admissions, but not a ton considering I have taken a ridiculous amount of hours to get myself above the 1.3 I had by the end of sophomore year. School C courses were all post-bacc, as were the calculus courses I F/WF in. Since I had two poor attempts, would they only look at the final attempt at a DO, assuming I retake and get an A? That'd be amazing if so. What would be your recommendation with the others. I have a lot of C's, but nothing relevant (beyond points) toward a medical career. Example: I would very much like to not have to retake managerial accounting to replace that C+.

Reactions: 1 users
I was dismissed due to not being a 2.0 (Spring and Summer semesters).

Is this an institutional action on your record? I ask because when you do get to application stage you're going to have to report all IAs, and some can be very damaging. I'm not discouraging you, just making you aware of this.

People scoff at online programs, but there is a lot of course material to learn on your own, to test well in, as well as group projects to coordinate and complete.

I agree, but be aware some of those people are adcoms at medical schools. Some will not accept any pre-requisite courses (including English and humanities) done online. University of Miami is one. If you're thinking anywhere near MD, I strongly advise you to get ahold of the MSAR, it will tell you exactly which schools accept community college and/or online classes. In my experience DO is a bit more forgiving but I still highly encourage you to check admission requirements on websites of schools you may have an interest in later.

Unfortunately, two of my failing grades (a WF and an F) are in classes no longer offered at my university. As mentioned before, showing the ability to succeed in more rigorous courses of the chemistry class hopefully will overshadow that WF from before. The other F is completely unrelated to science (an anthropology linguistics class in a semester prior to academic suspension at school A for not improving my probation status in 2003). I would not even know how to take an equivalency course to override the F.

One or two Fs far in the past shouldn't kill you if you put yourself back together with a strong record now.

I was on the struggle bus for a long time... I just wish my dumb butt hadn't taken so many classes. I'd sign up for whatever tickled my fancy "I wanna learn this!" and either do well, do okay, do hideous, or split.

Many of us have been there! People grow up, people change, and it's up to us to demonstrate that.

My premed adviser told me shadowing isn't so important for someone that knows what they want to do, especially for non-traditional, and that the clinical experience will hold more weight in the end. She also urged to have consistent volunteer experiences while I complete my premed requirements + possible SMP-type program if I need the extra boost.

I disagree with her on shadowing, especially if you have no prior healthcare experience. Clinical experiences are fine, but they don't show you the day a doctor goes through. I'm an RN and an EMT and I still shadowed over 100 hours, and I'm glad I did. What I do is not what physicians do, and I got to see sides of healthcare that I otherwise wouldn't have. Will it make or break an application? I don't know. But I wouldn't leave such an experience out.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Just received my first rejection of the cycle from BCOM. Had really high hopes for this school so it's hitting pretty hard.

Is this an institutional action on your record? I ask because when you do get to application stage you're going to have to report all IAs, and some can be very damaging. I'm not discouraging you, just making you aware of this.

I agree, but be aware some of those people are adcoms at medical schools. Some will not accept any pre-requisite courses (including English and humanities) done online. University of Miami is one. If you're thinking anywhere near MD, I strongly advise you to get ahold of the MSAR, it will tell you exactly which schools accept community college and/or online classes. In my experience DO is a bit more forgiving but I still highly encourage you to check admission requirements on websites of schools you may have an interest in later.

One or two Fs far in the past shouldn't kill you if you put yourself back together with a strong record now.

Many of us have been there! People grow up, people change, and it's up to us to demonstrate that.

I disagree with her on shadowing, especially if you have no prior healthcare experience. Clinical experiences are fine, but they don't show you the day a doctor goes through. I'm an RN and an EMT and I still shadowed over 100 hours, and I'm glad I did. What I do is not what physicians do, and I got to see sides of healthcare that I otherwise wouldn't have. Will it break or break an application? I don't know. But I wouldn't leave such an experience out.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your insight! The science classes will all be in-person for all the prerequisites. The masters degree, minus 1-2 classes, is all online. It doesn't hold any real relevance to medicine though. Maybe I can shadow my sister some? She's an ER physician in Chicago. If i do a week at a time, I should be able to get close to 100 hours by the time I start applying. I'm hoping that she might know of some internal medicine folks that might let me shadow (friends local, she's from NC, or there). How hard was it for your to begin working as an EMT? Assuming I'm going from square one, how long would it take? As soon as I get paid next week, I am signing up for a CPR/BLS course for certification. I'll be volunteering at the hospital here as well. Did you do an accelerated EMT program, or did your nursing credits count toward gaining access to that?

I figure I can probably kiss MD goodbye as an option for me. It'd take 190+ hours of courses to get my cGPA at school A to above a 3.0, which would barely make the cut past applying. I'm not certain if the transcript shows that I was dismissed or not, but I know that I was dismissed due to making C/D + C/D two consecutive semesters. I could easily return there though. Since I was marked as freshman on that transcript (I was going to pursue a 2nd bachelors), would it possibly be wise to apply there and return myself to good standing there, working through a 2nd bachelors in biochemistry? The classes are much smaller and there are lots of opportunities for individualized attention and research experience there. Going full-force, it would not take me long to get my GPA fixed there. The only problem with that plan would be it would be all out of pocket, unless I could somehow find a scholarship. I get 3 free classes a year working where I work, anywhere in the UNC school system.

Definite Record-tarnishing things:
Lots of academic probation at school A. GPA dropped to 1.3 sophomore year, so it was probation until I got it to a 2.0.
1 semester academic suspension due to the semester that resulted in the 1.3 cGPA.
1 semester probation at school C, academic dismissal at school C following semester (Spring, then summer).

Last edited:
Just received my first rejection of the cycle from BCOM. Had really high hopes for this school so it's hitting pretty hard.

Good luck! Hopefully, that's the 1 that didn't see what the other 26 see. :D

Thanks for your insight! The science classes will all be in-person for all the prerequisites. The masters degree, minus 1-2 classes, is all online. It doesn't hold any real relevance to medicine though. Maybe I can shadow my sister some? She's an ER physician in Chicago. If i do a week at a time, I should be able to get close to 100 hours by the time I start applying.

I would not shadow a relative. Much like getting letters of recommendation from relatives, it's not a good idea. But like you say, she might know other places where you could get a foot in the door shadowing. If you're thinking of applying DO you'll need to shadow DOs (and get a rec letter from at least one for the majority of DO schools).

How hard was it for your to begin working as an EMT? Assuming I'm going from square one, how long would it take?

My EMT-Basic class lasted six months, but we only met Thursday nights and all day Sunday. It can be done faster (though I don't recommend those EMT IN TWO WEEKS!!1!!1 courses). Nursing credits did not count. My class was offered free of charge provided I committed to my local fire station as a volunteer -- you might try checking around your local stations to see if they offer the similar. Regions vary wildly in how they handle this. My station also paid for my course when I decided to move up a level. I volunteered for about eight months before applying for a paid position, and I still volunteer regularly. I love my vol station.

I figure I can probably kiss MD goodbye as an option for me. It'd take 190+ hours of courses to get my cGPA at school A to above a 3.0, which would barely make the cut past applying.

You'll need a 3.0 for most DO too. There are a few I've seen (and some anecdotes floating around) of schools that take lower but 3.0 or higher (preferably higher) is what you should be shooting for. Believe me I know the pain; it took me over 140 hours to break a 3.0 from my original GPA. DO grade replacement will get you there faster certainly. But if you want MD don't write it off, it can be done with enough sacrifice if it's worth it to you.

I'm not certain if the transcript shows that I was dismissed or not, but I know that I was dismissed due to making C/D + C/D two consecutive semesters. I could easily return there though.

You need to find out what's on your record at all institutions. This will matter for applications, as you must report all IAs and explain them.

Since I was marked as freshman on that transcript (I was going to pursue a 2nd bachelors), would it possibly be wise to apply there and return myself to good standing there, working through a 2nd bachelors in biochemistry? The classes are much smaller and there are lots of opportunities for individualized attention and research experience there. Going full-force, it would not take me long to get my GPA fixed there. The only problem with that plan would be it would be all out of pocket, unless I could somehow find a scholarship. I get 3 free classes a year working where I work, anywhere in the UNC school system.

I don't think it matters whether you return to good standing there versus be at good standing elsewhere. If it's accessible to you and you think you'll kick butt there then by all means look into it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you had almost the same road I have ahead of me! At my current school, it would take 208 hours at a 4.0 to get a 3.2. :) My sister is a step-sister, but I'll tread lightly. Maybe I could do it for a week, during a visit, then maybe network and shadow someone not in my family circle the next visits. Being her proximity to several major hospitals and medical schools, it might be a cool place to shadow. She has several doctor friends too, so maybe if I show enough commitment and potential/interest they might allow me to shadow them. For MD, of course. There aren't very many DOs in my area (only 3 based on a search I did recently, but that might have been only isolated to a special field, can't remember), so I might have to work at finding the right thing for me there. There is a fire station less than a mile from my apartment, so I will look at if they take volunteers or not. That'd be an interesting first place to look. I think they do quite a bit of first response to the surrounding colleges within this small area (there's 2 for sure). Only two schools have IAs, luckily none for anything other than struggling with school. I'm extremely ethical when it comes to cheating, hence the terrible GPA. :) Failing a test you didn't study for? You deserve to fail. Own it. Grow.

Thanks a bunch for your replies. Very helpful. Happy weekend!

Would you guys say its better to go for DO instead of PA route given that DO schools allow grade forgiveness and PA school doesn't?
With a low gpa, retaking classes will make us more competitive for DO schools than PA schools.
Or is getting into PA school much easier than DO schools? I've heard that its about just as hard.

Would you guys say its better to go for DO instead of PA route given that DO schools allow grade forgiveness and PA school doesn't?
With a low gpa, retaking classes will make us more competitive for DO schools than PA schools.
Or is getting into PA school much easier than DO schools? I've heard that its about just as hard.
Do you want to be a physician or a physician's assistant?

Do you want to be a physician or a physician's assistant?
Physician* assistant.
I am passionate about serving the under-served communities in the field of primary care.
It doesn't matter whether I become a PA or a doctor as long as it is fulfilled.

Maybe talk with some schools whose programs you're interested in? Perhaps if you show a lot of uptrend in your classes, they might focus on your most recent work vs. past mistakes. I also think you have a higher amount of clinical hours required before PA school, so maybe turn your focus toward that while you rock out your prereqs?

Physician* assistant.
I am passionate about serving the under-served communities in the field of primary care.
It doesn't matter whether I become a PA or a doctor as long as it is fulfilled.
You're not ready for either program unless you know which one you want and why

Dr. Nick, since you are in school to become a D.O, do you have the same opportunities for research as you would at an MD institution? I know residency and fellowships are the same afterward, just curious about the 4 years leading up to that. I'm still doing research on the schools/programs since this is probably more of a fit for me in the long run (variety of reasons, not just grades).

I started my post-bacc journey this summer. I retook an Astronomy course that I got a C in my first time taking it. I took it online over the summer while working full time and was within 1-2% of getting an A but ended up with a B. I was happy to see improvement but was disappointed to not make that A. :/ I'm otherwise going to be taking A&P 1 as a night class in person this fall so definitely going to give that all I've got for getting the A.

Question:

I was an English major in my UG degree. Should I retake any D that I have in languages and/or English classes for the purpose of grade replacement? I don't particularly want to retake Seventeenth Century Lit, but I'll do what I have to do... Also, three of the classes I did poorly in no longer exist at this university. I can find some transfer equivalencies at other universities, so should I look at taking the course there in hopes that it balances the WF/F at my home institution (purpose of applying to DO schools)? I also want to know where I should retake Calculus. I have a WF in a 3 credit hour class at my home institution, and an F in a 4 credit course that I took online at another school. Should I try to retake the 4 credit hour class, or does it really matter? Assuming I retook at home institution, I'd be planning to take the Calc 1 and Calc 2 courses, which more or less would cover everything in the 4 credit hour class at the other school. Should I retake the Precalc 1 course I got a C in? I got a B in the Precalc 2 course at a community college. I'm also thinking I should retake general psych (C), abnormal psych (I got a B+ at home inst, retook at school C and got a C-, so that negates the B+ for DO schools), and a sex and gender psych course (C).

Classes with D's: German 2, Japanese 1, French 4, Medieval History, 17th Century Lit, Astronomy 2, Theatre Appreciation (doesn't exist anymore), Formal Logic, and a Music History class (The last two were taken at school C, where I was dismissed after 2 semesters). I have a WF in Chem for non-sciene majors (dissolved course) and an F in an anthropology class about linguistics (DNE anymore). I've retaken one of my F's to get B+, the other WF/F will be retaken in the Fall 2016. I'm planning to retake an Astronomy class that I got a D in, possibly this term. I also got a C+ in a summer Medical Ethics course several years ago, so I think it couldn't hurt to retake that.

Sorry if this all seems kind of jumbled and confused, I'm just trying to get a better feel of what classes I should definitely retake, or what I should skip and move on, focusing on science courses (which I lack) both prereq and advanced level. Should I retake all D's regardless of subject area, or just focus on science-based courses and electives? Would looking at classes with transfer equivalencies at other universities for the failed classes be worthwhile and count toward grade replacement per DO standards? That seems a bit murky, IMO. Given expense, I want to plan right. I'm still not sure whether I should bother retaking the classes I bombed at school C (2 C's and 2 D's) and simply focus on doing well now. I can easily have 60+ hours just in my science requirements to show I've got the stuff to handle medical school, but getting the GPA to a competitive level will be tricky from a cGPA standpoint. If I replace the D in astronomy, and with the B+ in BIO for non-science (plus assuming I get nothing but 4.0 in everything else), I could easily finish this post-bacc stuff with a 3.8+ sGPA. Thanks for your collective help in helping me make sense of all of this.

Question:

I was an English major in my UG degree. Should I retake any D that I have in languages and/or English classes for the purpose of grade replacement? I don't particularly want to retake Seventeenth Century Lit, but I'll do what I have to do... Also, three of the classes I did poorly in no longer exist at this university. I can find some transfer equivalencies at other universities, so should I look at taking the course there in hopes that it balances the WF/F at my home institution (purpose of applying to DO schools)? I also want to know where I should retake Calculus. I have a WF in a 3 credit hour class at my home institution, and an F in a 4 credit course that I took online at another school. Should I try to retake the 4 credit hour class, or does it really matter? Assuming I retook at home institution, I'd be planning to take the Calc 1 and Calc 2 courses, which more or less would cover everything in the 4 credit hour class at the other school. Should I retake the Precalc 1 course I got a C in? I got a B in the Precalc 2 course at a community college. I'm also thinking I should retake general psych (C), abnormal psych (I got a B+ at home inst, retook at school C and got a C-, so that negates the B+ for DO schools), and a sex and gender psych course (C).

Classes with D's: German 2, Japanese 1, French 4, Medieval History, 17th Century Lit, Astronomy 2, Theatre Appreciation (doesn't exist anymore), Formal Logic, and a Music History class (The last two were taken at school C, where I was dismissed after 2 semesters). I have a WF in Chem for non-sciene majors (dissolved course) and an F in an anthropology class about linguistics (DNE anymore). I've retaken one of my F's to get B+, the other WF/F will be retaken in the Fall 2016. I'm planning to retake an Astronomy class that I got a D in, possibly this term. I also got a C+ in a summer Medical Ethics course several years ago, so I think it couldn't hurt to retake that.

Sorry if this all seems kind of jumbled and confused, I'm just trying to get a better feel of what classes I should definitely retake, or what I should skip and move on, focusing on science courses (which I lack) both prereq and advanced level. Should I retake all D's regardless of subject area, or just focus on science-based courses and electives? Would looking at classes with transfer equivalencies at other universities for the failed classes be worthwhile and count toward grade replacement per DO standards? That seems a bit murky, IMO. Given expense, I want to plan right. I'm still not sure whether I should bother retaking the classes I bombed at school C (2 C's and 2 D's) and simply focus on doing well now. I can easily have 60+ hours just in my science requirements to show I've got the stuff to handle medical school, but getting the GPA to a competitive level will be tricky from a cGPA standpoint. If I replace the D in astronomy, and with the B+ in BIO for non-science (plus assuming I get nothing but 4.0 in everything else), I could easily finish this post-bacc stuff with a 3.8+ sGPA. Thanks for your collective help in helping me make sense of all of this.

Only you can figure this out. Look at it this way.

Schools will look at your combined undergrad BCPM (Bio-Chem-Physics-Math) GPA, which encompasses every science and math class you ever took. Your sGPA is very important. If you have old D's and F's sitting there it will drag this down.

They will also look at your pre-reqs specifically (Bio 1/2 with labs, Chem 1/2 with labs, etc etc). Plus (at many schools) at least a year's worth of humanities/social sciences and English. At some places you can designate which courses you want counted to fulfill that. Some you can't and they'll take whichever they feel like taking.

Then they will look at your cumulative undergrad (and grad, for DO).

You need to put all your classes ever into a GPA calculator spreadsheet, with the grade you got. If you search SDN you'll find some very nice ones in Excel. Then you need to start playing with it. Change the grades of classes you're considering retaking to an A. Then change them to a B. Then put them back to original grade and add in totally new classes instead. See how all combinations affect your sGPA and cGPA with tweaks. It will take you a little time but ultimately it will help your peace of mind to build your own roadmap.

I'm just sad I can't retake the CHE-106 class... I'm doing CHE-111 and lab this Fall. That will hopefully set the pace for my transition to premed. If they count my MSc IT-Mgmt GPA, that's helpful, too. I've got mostly A's in it, and a couple of B's. I'll play around and see how it all fits together. After my BA, I completed an AAS with a 3.3 something GPA, which included quite a few classes since I changed majors my 2nd year from Graphic Design to Web Design/Dev (and completed all that coursework in 1 year with a 3.8 GPA for the major). None of this probably counts much, but it can't hurt, at least. I've got a long road ahead of me...

Hi all!

I've been lurking around SDN for a while now, and decided to join today, so hi!

I just wanted to say that this thread has been a great resource for clearing up some questions regarding retaking classes, etc. To make a long story short, I'm going to redo most of my undergrad years as they were C's and D's. (Yeah, yeah...bad, I know!) I should finish everything by the time I'm 29 (25 now), and hopefully start medical school at 30.

This thread is so encouraging! I'm in the same boat as most of you, or at least a similar boat.

I'm 27 and a non-traditional applicant. I graduated from undergrad in 2011 with science gpa of 2.33. I was a human bio major and didn't know much about going to college and what it took. I took way too many science courses my freshman and sophomore year thinking I had to do them all at once. Wow did that backfire. I was the first of my family to go to college so I had no idea what I was doing. I retook a few of the classes and got B's but not enough to pull my gpa up.

I continued on and got my MPH in 2013. I did well and graduated with a 3.73. I thought it would help and show schools I can handle upper level coursework, but now I'm not too sure. What do you guys think?

Since pre-reqs are changing I have to retake biochem and genetics to apply to most DO schools so I'm planning to do that this year. I got a D in biochem and C in genetics. I applied to an MD school this cycle but I know that was a bad idea and a waste of money but I was at the point where I just had to apply somewhere before I lost hope.

Any encouraging words are helpful. It's been so nice to read everyone being supportive.

Reactions: 2 users
This is awesome! Congrats!! Do you mind sharing which post-bac you did or was it a DIY? Did you take university courses or community?

Thanks for the post. So encouraging!!

Based on what I've read, I think I'm going to just re-do everything from scratch, and lock down that 3.7+GPA. That would have me starting med school at 29/30.

Based on what I've read, I think I'm going to just re-do everything from scratch, and lock down that 3.7+GPA. That would have me starting med school at 29/30.
Good luck! Use your passion to fuel greatness. :D