Best Do School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navnav

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the BEST DO school in the states???
Whats the best DO school in CA?

Any list of rankings anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the BEST DO school in the shates???

There are no DO schools in the shates, and there are only two in CA, so you can't really have rankings under those circumstances. Western is more established though, I believe. That is, I think TU is pretty new.

Ohhh boy .... you are opening a can of worms with this one, and it has also been discussed before many times. First, it is very hard to nail down the 'best DO school.' The reason for this is because there are many different aspects in which a school can be judged. Match lists, board pass rate, average gpa and mcat, hospitals that the schools work with, etc etc. It's really up to you what makes a school the best. With that said, I'm fairly sure you can find rankings somewhere, probably on the forums. I have heard people say PCOM, or Ohio, or KCUMB, but I don't really know. As far as the CA schools; it's Western vs Touro-MI, so with only two schools you should be able to do enough research to figure out which one seems better to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I received hostility for my original answer from sensitive people.

Any DO school is fine.

Evil Joker laugh.... Ha hahahahahahahhaha ha ha

The one that takes me is the best one.

Ditto :laugh:

Actually I agree that it really depends on the individual. My husband and I each made a list of how we would rank the schools we've applied to. We only ranked 5 schools out of the 14 the same so honestly it really depends.

MSUCOM (ranked 5th in primary care) :D

WVSOM, CCOM

CA - Western I believe

why did you have to go do something stupid and actually answer this. Its pointless much like the rankings

Please don't base your medical choice off of an arbitrary list that someone is going to pull out of their butt. If you want to know what the best DO school is, research them and visit them. If specializing is your #1 thing, then other schools will be better for you than others, and to find this, there is a thread on here somewhere showing schools' matchlists - use that to narrow down your list. But the best thing you can do is actually go to the school and visit with profs, admins, and, most importantly, the students.

When I applied last year, CCOM was my #1 choice for various reasons. Nothing was going to deter me from going there. Then I interviewed at DCOM and was absolutely blown away by their program. I was accepted to DCOM and was later taken off the waitlist for CCOM, and decided that the best school for me was DCOM and I have NO REGRETS.

The moral of the story: You never know what you like until you try it. Just b/c person A says school 1 is the best doesn't make it so. See for yourself, you may just end up being surprised. Good luck.

I agree. When I was applying, my #1 osteo choice was DMU. After interviewing, it was obviously not a good fit for me and went to dead last. I withdrew from consideration. And UNE went from near bottom straight to #1 at my interview.

The "best" school is one that fits you. Your lifestyle, your personality, your learning style. If you're a city person, being in Kirksville is going to make you depressed and miserable. And if you're a country person, NYCOM will drive you insane.

It's just not that easy to say "this one" or "that one" is best. "Best" is very subjective.

I agree. When I was applying, my #1 osteo choice was DMU. After interviewing, it was obviously not a good fit for me and went to dead last. I withdrew from consideration. And UNE went from near bottom straight to #1 at my interview.

The "best" school is one that fits you. Your lifestyle, your personality, your learning style. If you're a city person, being in Kirksville is going to make you depressed and miserable. And if you're a country person, NYCOM will drive you insane.

It's just not that easy to say "this one" or "that one" is best. "Best" is very subjective.

And I miss you everyday because of this.....WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:(

BTW, why don't people use the damn search function? This topic has been discussed I think everyday since this site has been up. :)

PCOM is clearly the top osteopathic school. No one will refute that. And those who do, look at the school they go to. Its often a "small market" school or one of the new kids on the block.

But there are still some other very strong schools:

MSUCOM, NYCOM, CCOM, OUCOM

Look for schools affiliated with large Universities or are in large metropolitan areas...and have graduated more than 20 classes.

lol it was same for me.
it was down to PCOM and UNECOM

Members don't see this ad :)
Did I read this thread before?? I am experiencing " dajavu" :rolleyes:

PCOM is clearly the top osteopathic school. No one will refute that. And those who do, look at the school they go to. Its often a "small market" school or one of the new kids on the block.

But there are still some other very strong schools:

Look for schools affiliated with large Universities or are in large metropolitan areas...and have graduated more than 20 classes.

So you endorse CCOM as a reputable school?

(Please oh please, I have an interview there coming up!)

The best school is the one that fits you well. Make your own ranking system based on your personal criteria. As mentioned above, don't rely on some arbitrary list somewhere, make your own assessments. Take word of mouth recommendations with a grain of salt. Do your own research.

And I miss you everyday because of this.....WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:(

BTW, why don't people use the damn search function? This topic has been discussed I think everyday since this site has been up. :)

Yes, this thread has been discussed every year around this time for several years in the past, yet people still ask the question. And they'll ask it again next year. And the next year. (see a pattern?? ;) )

jbone -- You miss me because the interview panel I had the great fortune to be in front of was colder than standing in your underwear on a glacier in the middle of January in Alaska. But I just think you just miss my cooking more. :p

(NO SLAM on DMU above. I just had a bad panel. Three other interviewees complained that day about the same panel. Other than that, DMU was ok. Unfortunately, when that's the main exposure you have to the faculty, it's a make or break kind of thing. DMU is a fine school and I encourage folks to apply there.)

This is a tough question and depends solely on the individual. For me, I interviewed at UNECOM, PCOM, Midwestern (CCOM), and DMU, and to me, DMU had the best facilities and had the best environment. A bonus is that in a big city of half a million, being the only medical school gives more opportunity for rotations and more interaction with doctors.

This is a tough question and depends solely on the individual. For me, I interviewed at UNECOM, PCOM, Midwestern (CCOM), and DMU, and to me, DMU had the best facilities and had the best environment. A bonus is that in a big city of half a million, being the only medical school gives more opportunity for rotations and more interaction with doctors.

About the second day after you begin classes...the things you will not notice are A)the scenery B)the facilities (unless there are big problems such as not enough room or not enough Tv's to see lecture). Half a million is also not a big city. The other thing I have learned is no matter how nice the anatomy lab is, after day 2 you will notice nothing other than the smell and the actual body you are working on

A bonus is that in a big city of half a million, being the only medical school gives more opportunity for rotations and more interaction with doctors.

More than PCOM? :cool:

About the second day after you begin classes...the things you will not notice are A)the scenery B)the facilities (unless there are big problems such as not enough room or not enough Tv's to see lecture). Half a million is also not a big city. The other thing I have learned is no matter how nice the anatomy lab is, after day 2 you will notice nothing other than the smell and the actual body you are working on

Yeah. Not to be all dark cloud, but I have to agree with this post a bit. There really hasn't been time for much else other than classes, lab, and studying. I certainly haven't been able to "enjoy" where I am living (although I do like where I am and everything). Pretty much the only "outside" time I get is walking between buildings on campus and running basic errands. The infrastructure of my school and where it's located hasn't really even been foremost on my mind. I'm not saying it's unimportant, but you are right that these elements aren't the most critical in the scheme of things considering how intense medical school is. It never lets up and my focus has been pretty narrow lately. Then again, I'm still getting my bearings.

How well a school prepares you for residency... now that's a pretty important factor, in my opinion--in the context of many others, of course.

After the second day of class you no longer notice the facilities? That seems a little odd. I guess if you completely stopped going to class and lab........

I was pretty happy with my education there, felt well prepared for residency, and now for practice.

THE OFFICIAL TOP FIVE: (this is it, this is THE LIST)

1. PCOM
2. DMUCOM
3. MSUCOM
4. UMDNJ-SOM
5. CCOM

Hope this helps!

1. PCOM
2. DMUCOM
3. MSUCOM
4. UMDNJ-SOM
5. CCOM

Hope this helps!

WOW! THANX! Now I know exactly where to apply. This is AWESOME! :laugh:

are u people anally retarted...Rocky Vista University is the best DO school hands down...I mean look at all the threads of jealous DO students who could only wish to have the opportunity to go to a school like R...V...U!

(P.S: PCOM is the best in the East, DMU is best in the Midwest, and I am not sure about West and South)...DO schools are regional based, I mean most DMU grads get top notch residencies in the Midwest...like most PCOM grads get top noth residencies in the East...so they will most well known in their respective areas)

oh man... i really want pcom and des moines. please show me some love!!!!!!!!

1. PCOM
2. DMUCOM
3. MSUCOM
4. UMDNJ-SOM
5. CCOM

Hope this helps!

Yep thats pretty much it, in no particular order though and I would add OUCOM. No need to apply anywhere else. Hope you like the cold.

wow, i always thought kirksville was one of the top schools.

Umm. Where did you get that list?

I'd just like to put in a little plug for my school, Western U, which often gets overlooked b/c its in the west but which has been around for 30 years and which ranked 4th in COMLEX step 1 scores in the nation for DO 2009. It really is a good school with solid rotations and curriculum.

PCOM is clearly the top osteopathic school.

i would have to agree... mostly based on the HUGE amount of alumni connections, as the school has been around so long. plus, if you want to do gsurg, and don't have the scores to go MD, it is probably the best osteo gsurg program in the country.

i would add DMU and UNECOM to this list as well.

i would have to agree... mostly based on the HUGE amount of alumni connections, as the school has been around so long. plus, if you want to do gsurg, and don't have the scores to go MD, it is probably the best osteo gsurg program in the country.

Take a look at the clinical sites for the PCOM General Surgery Residency...and I can provide you with information on case number and type.

I think after looking at all the facts you wont just consider it the best Osteopathic program in the country, but it competes with some excellent MD programs as well...and makes many MD programs appear weak in comparison.

Has there ever been an official ranking strictly of DO schools?

Nope.

Who would do the ranking?

Much of the ranking done by USNEWS relies on research grants as well as physicians in the community being familiar with a school...ie: reputation.

Well, when more than half of the DO schools are less than 20 years old you get an immediate separation.

DO schools are almost divided into 2 categories anyway.

Old, Big or University (PCOM, CCOM, MSUOM, OUCOM, OSUCOM, etc)

and

Small, New or Community (LECOM, UNECOM, Pikeville, Vegas)

Some schools have characteristics of each...VCOM for example...but many people look at it as the new kid on the block so it might not get the respct it deserves for being affiliated with VT. Time will change that, but you can see how the "newness" can change its category.

At any rate, it's nice to see I have a shot at two of the more esteemed ones! :thumbup:

yes...go to the SDN tab under school rankings, and you will see which DO schools are top notch;)

I guess there's not one good answer, but TCOM's admission stats are pretty solid. Average matriculant MCAT is 28 and GPA 3.4, not too shabby.

I guess there's not one good answer, but TCOM's admission stats are pretty solid. Average matriculant MCAT is 28 and GPA 3.4, not too shabby.

Perhaps, but its in Texas.

Where did you end up going?

CCOM has a good match list too.

Chicago is the center of the osteopathic medical world. CCOM is the best midwestern school for long-term career opportunities. Chicago has a larger hospital network, with many more teaching hospitals in the area. Chicago is a more culturally-rich area than Des Moines.

I fail to see how DMU > CCOM.... There are just a lot of DMU cheerleaders on SDN.

At any rate, it's nice to see I have a shot at two of the more esteemed ones! :thumbup:

Megboo I usually like your posts, so please dont take this teh wrong way...

But c'mon this question has been asked a billion times. Your post count beats mine greater-than-five-fold.

Let me know if you're interviewing at PCOM... I'd be more than happy to show you around...