Best Experiences in your VetMed Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i dont know her mariah carey GIF
I like how you picked a gif with a woman who kinda looks like her

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So many fun feelgood stories :)
We had a dog come in that was extremely painful and wouldn't move. Every time you moved him, he'd yelp. His joints were incredibly swollen so my first instinct was Lyme (we're in the NE, super common here). The intern asked the student after they did their physical what she wanted to do next and I think the student was having a bad day (happens to all of us) and was suggesting things like rads of the limbs and joint taps. It was a pretty busy day and as patient as my intern was, we were starting to get slammed. So I snapped my fingers a bit looking confused at my hands and then I looked at the student who unfortunately didn't get the hint but the intern noticed and asked me to go get what we needed while the student thought about it. I bought the SNAP test and went back to the ER, poor student still not getting it so I showed her the test and she asked "Why do we need that?" oof. I said "because there's something that goes with the coconut so we can drink it all up". Her eyes got as wide as saucers as she remembered Lyme! We all giggled and I drew the blood and ran the test and wouldn't ya know it, after only 2 mins the Lyme dot lit up!
Here's my favorite part
The next day I'm in the hospital and I hear a bark behind me and lo and behold it's the dog pulling the student towards me wagging his tail like a maniac! He jumps on me and I go on the floor to hug him and give him scritches, he's smiling like a doofus and then...vomits from the excitement on the floor...then tries to give me kisses all over (no thank you adorable perfect doggy). Dear god I love this ridiculous dog lol
Went home on doxy that afternoon all back to his normal self

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Oh I was thinking about one of my favorite patients this morning. One of the dogs I started seeing just a few months after graduation. She came in suddenly blind and intermittently circling. I diagnosed her with optic neuritis. Her owner happened to live next door to one of the boarded ophthalmologists at the vet school, so she asked him about it, and he got her to bring the dog to him the next day because optic neuritis was a weird diagnosis and not super common. Sure enough, he tells her the dog has optic neuritis. She did a couple months of steroids, got her vision back, stopped circling. It’s been 3 years now, symptoms have never returned. Such a happy pup!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Oh I was thinking about one of my favorite patients this morning. One of the dogs I started seeing just a few months after graduation. She came in suddenly blind and intermittently circling. I diagnosed her with optic neuritis. Her owner happened to live next door to one of the boarded ophthalmologists at the vet school, so she asked him about it, and he got her to bring the dog to him the next day because optic neuritis was a weird diagnosis and not super common. Sure enough, he tells her the dog has optic neuritis. She did a couple months of steroids, got her vision back, stopped circling. It’s been 3 years now, symptoms have never returned. Such a happy pup!
What are the exam findings for this? Curious as we didn't talk about it much in class

What are the exam findings for this? Curious as we didn't talk about it much in class
Swelling of the optic nerve head. It looks fuzzy on exam when the rest of the fundus is in focus, so you can see it bulging toward you. Ruled out all the infectious causes, so I was left with idiopathic optic neuritis or neoplasia.

Reactions: 5 users
A euthanasia I had recently was a geriatric dog with metastatic cancer. The family were very attached to the dog and initially didn't want to be present but ended up staying. They were bawling and so grateful that I was able to end his life so peacefully, they said when they were growing up the normal thing was just to shoot the dog out back.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user