Best New York University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrnEyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to apply as an OOS to 1 or maybe 2 medical schools in the state of New York, which would it/they be and why?

Members don't see this ad.

in the City or Not? Any of them are really fine for OOS, but there are a good number of private schools in and around the city the most thorough view would probably come from MSAR.

in the City or Not? Any of them are really fine for OOS, but there are a good number of private schools in and around the city the most thorough view would probably come from MSAR.

I've been looking at the MSAR. I was just hoping to gain insight from others who knew more about the schools, as I have never spent significant time in New York. In the city or not is not a big deal to me. I don't think I'll be wandering too far from campus anyway with all the coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
NY has a lot of schools that could be a good fit for a wide range of applicants. It depends on what your app is like and where you want to live. There are several schools in the city and several in the Northern part of the state as well. There is everything from super competitive Columbia, Cornell, etc to the more average applicant friendly Albany and Rochester. I don't know how the SUNYs are w/ OOSers. The choices are too broad to give you an answer w/o knowing a bit more about you.

NY has a lot of schools that could be a good fit for a wide range of applicants. It depends on what your app is like and where you want to live. There are several schools in the city and several in the Northern part of the state as well. There is everything from super competitive Columbia, Cornell, etc to the more average applicant friendly Albany and Rochester. I don't know how the SUNYs are w/ OOSers. The choices are too broad to give you an answer w/o knowing a bit more about you.

I'm sorry. I should have elaborated more on my situation. After spending much time in the Midwest, I've developed a desire to maybe move out to the East Coast. My numbers are in the MDapps if that's what you're referring to with "what your app is like", but I haven't had much time to include the EC's and such.

I have a good mix of clinical shadowing/volunteering, research, and some teaching. I haven't published yet, but I hope to have something to my name by the end of the summer. If you look at my original post, you'll see I'm just interested to know what you would pick if you had to pick 1 or 2. If I was interested in the most prestigious school in NY, all it would take is a gander at the MSAR. :)

With your numbers...I'm surprised you're applying to so many UT schools. Do you have family connections there? J/W

As far as NY goes...I think you stand a fair shot at Mt Sinai, NYU, and Albert Einstein...as far as Columbia and Cornell go, I have no idea and it could be random given your strong EC's. I don't know your UG school so it's hard to say what your GPA translates into. However, I think you have a fair shot and should shoot the dust while applying to NY schools by shooting one at NYU/Sinai/AECOM and then another at Cornell or Columbia if you are only applying to two.

With your numbers...I'm surprised you're applying to so many UT schools. Do you have family connections there? J/W

As far as NY goes...I think you stand a fair shot at Mt Sinai, NYU, and Albert Einstein...as far as Columbia and Cornell go, I have no idea and it could be random given your strong EC's. I don't know your UG school so it's hard to say what your GPA translates into. However, I think you have a fair shot and should shoot the dust while applying to NY schools by shooting one at NYU/Sinai/AECOM and then another at Cornell or Columbia if you are only applying to two.

MSSM notoriously likes high MCATs (35+), so the OP is probably not a great applicant there...Columbia and Cornell are probably out of reach (they are out of reach for most applicants)...NYU and AECOM are not much easier...maybe the OP should look at NYMC with his stats?

And I agree, what is the deal with all of the Texas apps? You do realize how tough OOS is there, right? Seems like a real waste of money and effort focusing half of your list on Texas schools...

OP, I don't know how to say this politely, but your list of schools is a jumbled mess, and your somewhat flip "desire to maybe move out to the east coast" is frankly a weak reason to apply there.

I was a midwesterner who got into SUNY Upstate. It was by far the easiest interview I had. I seriously had one question from one of my interviewer: "I see you are from out of state. What made you apply here?" Then he talked for the next 45 min. The other interview was just a student interview and was very laid back. Try SUNY Upstate - it wasn't the right school for me, but has good stuff going on.

NYU has really cools students, is attached to a great hospital (rated one of the best in the country I believe), located right in NYC, and is Pass/Fail for the first two years (which I hear is pretty awesome). :)

I'm sorry. I should have elaborated more on my situation. After spending much time in the Midwest, I've developed a desire to maybe move out to the East Coast. My numbers are in the MDapps if that's what you're referring to with "what your app is like", but I haven't had much time to include the EC's and such.

I have a good mix of clinical shadowing/volunteering, research, and some teaching. I haven't published yet, but I hope to have something to my name by the end of the summer. If you look at my original post, you'll see I'm just interested to know what you would pick if you had to pick 1 or 2. If I was interested in the most prestigious school in NY, all it would take is a gander at the MSAR. :)

NY is such a large state w/ so much variation. The city is another world compared to upstate. If you want to live in the city (and going off of your numbers) I'd say NYMC and/or Einstein. If you would rather not live in NYC and want to get out in nature a little more I'd say maybe Albany (close to the mountains). You will have time to venture away from campus, so you should try to find areas you'll enjoy.

NY is such a large state w/ so much variation. The city is another world compared to upstate. If you want to live in the city (and going off of your numbers) I'd say NYMC and/or Einstein. If you would rather not live in NYC and want to get out in nature a little more I'd say maybe Albany (close to the mountains). You will have time to venture away from campus, so you should try to find areas you'll enjoy.

NYMC is not in the city. It is 35 mins north in Valhalla, NY (Westchester County).

BrnEyes, NY is a really tough state for med school admissions, even if you live there (which I do). We have 12 med schools, more than any other state, but we also have a huge in-state population and tons of OOS students like yourself who'd like to go to school here. So you should realize that this won't be easy. (It won't be for me either.)

Go ahead and apply to SUNY if you want, but it's almost as bad as OOS in CA: only about 1% of OOS applicants get in. (But the IN-state admission rate is only 5%, so it's not like we have it easy.) SarsMO is right, though: SUNY Upstate looks good by comparison (2% OOS admit rate). OOS tuition at SUNY ($35K) isn't much cheaper than private school tuiktion (about $40K).

The competition at the NYC schools is insane (that includes SUNY Downstate, which is in Brooklyn). I'm not saying it's impossible, but you probably have to have something really special or unique about your application to make you stand out from the crowd.

NY Med and Albany seem more applicant-friendly, but neither is in the city. (NY Med is in Westchester, a nearby suburb. Albany Med is close to a 3-hr drive outside of NYC.) I believe a lot of NY Med students are from the city, and I think it's possible to do some of your clinical rotations there in the last 2 years.

Good luck with your application. I hope it works out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry. I should have elaborated more on my situation. After spending much time in the Midwest, I've developed a desire to maybe move out to the East Coast.

There are other cities/states on the East coast - why NY / NYS in particular?

It's a big gamble moving to NYC cold turkey, especially while starting med school. Have you ever been there before? I went to undergrad there, and it was a big transition from the rural town I was living in before. I wasn't really comfortable with the city for a good year, and I don't know if I would want to combine that experience with acclimating to med school.

That said, living in NYC really, really grows on you. To this day no other city really measures up for me.

MSSM notoriously likes high MCATs (35+), so the OP is probably not a great applicant there...Columbia and Cornell are probably out of reach (they are out of reach for most applicants)...NYU and AECOM are not much easier...maybe the OP should look at NYMC with his stats?

And I agree, what is the deal with all of the Texas apps? You do realize how tough OOS is there, right? Seems like a real waste of money and effort focusing half of your list on Texas schools...

OP, I don't know how to say this politely, but your list of schools is a jumbled mess, and your somewhat flip "desire to maybe move out to the east coast" is frankly a weak reason to apply there.

Rather than waste space on this thread "flip", you should concern yourself with the question at hand if you're really trying to help. My question was very simple. I do not even know why you or anyone else began talking about Texas schools. The reason my list of schools appears as a jumbled mess to you is because you know absolutely nothing about me except for a few numbers. My reasons for applying in New York or Texas for that matter are frankly none of your business. If I had meant to spill my guts, I would have in the 1st post.

That being said, thanks for your "advice" if that's what you want to call it. It is clear, however, that your aim on these forums is to tell people how they are not qualified to apply to this or that school. I find it interesting that knowing nothing about the rest of my application (activities, PS, LOR's, etc.) you are going to tell me what is and is not out of reach for me. I've never had to go out of my way to chastise someone on a forum before, but you are absolutely out of line. If you're stressed from applications or whatever, go start a pity thread. Don't come around trying to intimidate others while at the same time making an a$$ of yourself.

FYI, applying to Texas schools is not tough at all if you already filled out AMCAS. I did my homework; I have all the stats and demographics for each school I am even considering applying to sitting in front of me. Clearly you are speaking from another hole surrounded by two cheeks. :thumbdown: My only intention in creating this thread was to get advice from those who have been or are in a similar situation.

To everyone else, thanks for your help and suggestions. Good luck to you in your applications as well!:)

I do have reasons for applying to those schools, yes. I did not wake up one morning and decide "Oh hey, I'll apply to every allo school in Texas today!" Thanks for your advice otherwise though. You've been very helpful. :)

Rather than waste space on this thread "flip", you should concern yourself with the question at hand if you're really trying to help. My question was very simple. I do not even know why you or anyone else began talking about Texas schools. The reason my list of schools appears as a jumbled mess to you is because you know absolutely nothing about me except for a few numbers. My reasons for applying in New York or Texas for that matter are frankly none of your business. If I had meant to spill my guts, I would have in the 1st post.

That being said, thanks for your "advice" if that's what you want to call it. It is clear, however, that your aim on these forums is to tell people how they are not qualified to apply to this or that school. I find it interesting that knowing nothing about the rest of my application (activities, PS, LOR's, etc.) you are going to tell me what is and is not out of reach for me. I've never had to go out of my way to chastise someone on a forum before, but you are absolutely out of line. If you're stressed from applications or whatever, go start a pity thread. Don't come around trying to intimidate others while at the same time making an a$$ of yourself.

FYI, applying to Texas schools is not tough at all if you already filled out AMCAS. I did my homework; I have all the stats and demographics for each school I am even considering applying to sitting in front of me. Clearly you are speaking from another hole surrounded by two cheeks. :thumbdown: My only intention in creating this thread was to get advice from those who have been or are in a similar situation.

To everyone else, thanks for your help and suggestions. Good luck to you in your applications as well!:)
I know he didn't use the most encouraging wording ever, but SDN is all about tough love. Those top New York schools are "reaches" for everyone. And you know what? A lot of people get into their reach schools but a lot of extremely talented people don't; I don't think he was demeaning to you at all. Without any personal information about you, we have to judge based on what the average student in your situation (your numbers, your residency, etc.) can hope for. The first place to look for that information is your MDApps.

If you don't want people to give you advice based on that, remove the link to your profile OR include more pertinent information (e.g. your family ties, where you grew up, WHY you chose the schools you did etc.) which could help the good samaritans of SDN help you. Cheers. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I know he didn't use the most encouraging wording ever, but SDN is all about tough love. Those top New York schools are "reaches" for everyone. And you know what? A lot of people get into their reach schools but a lot of extremely talented people don't; I don't think he was demeaning to you at all. Without any personal information about you, we have to judge based on what the average student in your situation (your numbers, your residency, etc.) can hope for. The first place to look for that information is your MDApps.

If you don't want people to give you advice based on that, remove the link to your profile OR include more pertinent information (e.g. your family ties, where you grew up, WHY you chose the schools you did etc.) which could help the good samaritans of SDN help you. Cheers. :thumbup:

The bolded text is ridiculously overstated. What, if I may ask, qualifies you to make such a judgment? Please do tell. You are a Canadian applicant applying as URM. Do you moonlight as an adcom member? As I stated, I am well aware of the numbers game, the %'s for OOS interviews, etc. I do not need someone to come on here and spit back numbers from the MSAR to me. If this is your idea of advice--looking at the averages in the MSAR--it's info I've already got. My mistake: I should have just said so from the outset.

I just don't know how to say this. Please read the first post. I do not have many posts to my name, but I have been on SDN for a while. "Tough love" is really a poor choice of words. Have you ever shown "tough love" to someone you've never met or spoken to? Regardless, I appreciate your input. The thing is, I never asked anyone what they think my chances are in Texas or anywhere else. I thought my question was quite clear. The overwhelming majority of people gave me the feedback I was looking for.

All I'm saying is some people on these forums, such as flip26 (look at his other posts), are naysayers for reasons I'm not aware of. They think this responsibility has been bestowed upon them to tell everyone what their chances are at a particular school. If someone else with the designation "Pre-medical", no less, told you your list of schools is a mess and you have no good reasons for applying to a number of them, what would be your reaction? Frankly, few things annoy me more than unsolicited opinions. If I was interested in "what are my chances", this question would certainly be in that thread. But it's not. Anyways, I'm tired of talking about this, and I'm sure others are tired of reading it. Thanks for your help.

Good luck to you in your applications stixx; you look to be strong! :)

I would apply to Cornell and Mt. Sinai because I like the PBL curriculum at Cornell and the humanities focus at MSSM and I like the Upper East Side location of both.

Obviously, I'm not applying to any schools in NY or otherwise :laugh: but that is where I'd apply if I were applying to NY schools. Happy now, OP?

Frankly, why is what other people would do and why of any interest to you? What people have given you here is opinions about where you should or shouldn't apply and why because that's what people do here. You need to do what's best for you and what's best for others shouldn't factor in, should it?

I would apply to Cornell and Mt. Sinai because I like the PBL curriculum at Cornell and the humanities focus at MSSM and I like the Upper East Side location of both.

Obviously, I'm not applying to any schools in NY or otherwise :laugh: but that is where I'd apply if I were applying to NY schools. Happy now, OP?

Frankly, why is what other people would do and why of any interest to you? What people have given you here is opinions about where you should or shouldn't apply and why because that's what people do here. You need to do what's best for you and what's best for others shouldn't factor in, should it?

Thank you for your advice as always, LizzyM. Regarding the second portion, you're correct. :oops:

From what I've heard:

Cornell = Columbia > Mt. Sinai > NYU > Yeshiva

Columbia>>>>>>>>>Cornell>>>>>>>>>>>NYU>Mt. Sinai>Albert Einstein.

Your stats are very average for these elite NYC school. Unless you have something very unique in your application, you have no shot at Columbia and a very small chance at Cornell.

If you go based on stats then: Cornell=Columbia=Mt. Sinai= NYU>Albert Einstein

I highly recommend MSSM. The students are really chill and the faculty and staff really take the time to listen to the students. The housing provided is apartment style with couples housing if you need it. Sinai offers great research opportunities and plenty of extracurricular/volunteer opportunities to get involved with. If global health is for you, Sinai has lots of funding for that. If community medicine program is for you, there are plenty of outreach programs affiliated with clinics in east Harlem. The list goes on and on. Plus, the upper east side factor along with being by the reservoir in central park only adds to the how great the school is.

Judging from the limited amount of stats you posted, I'd say Sinai is a bit of a reach for you but not impossible. This year's incoming class has an average MCAT of 34 and yours is pretty close to that. It's true that Sinai focuses on the humanities. The amount of people that have some sort of talent in the arts in the school is astounding. Point? Good extracurriculars will help your application at MSSM.

Also I'd recommend you just ignore people who aren't giving you the advice you want to hear. If you get indignant every time someone is rude or abrasive, medical school will be hell. :D