Best places for establishing residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiancé is getting ready to graduate from veterinary school next year and will be applying to internships. The state that we are currently in requires a person to live there for seven years in order to be classified as a resident for med school purposes and admits <20 OOS applicants. For this reason, we are looking at moving, and we're open to moving anywhere in the US. Are there any states that would be good targets for establishing residency? I have Texas and Ohio on my list so far and will avoid California like the plague. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Look into the WICHE program for the western states here: http://www.wiche.edu/psep/medi

This is an exchange program for med students in the western states that allows residents of states without medical schools to apply to participating state schools as in-state. I don't know a lot about the details of the program, but you can find a lot of info on their site. It appears that Montana and Wyoming would both be great places to look into, as they have arrangements with schools in AZ, CA, CO, HI, NV, ND, NM, OR, and UT. Also, there is even a branch of the University of Washington SOM in Wyoming, so there must be a connection between those states as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you truly are open to moving anywhere you need to look at

1) A states rules for establishing residency. Some are a lot more laid back than others
2) https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

This chart will answer many of your questions. Pay attention to % of IS applicants who matriculated IS. The higher the better. If you are open to moving literally anywhere West Virginia, Arkansas, misissippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, South Carolina type states should be at he top of your list. If you want to live in a big city type environment Texas is obviously a great state to choose although be careful of their residency requirements. I've also heard stories of Texas schools being sensitive to those trying to game the system and move there just right before applying although I don't have any specific knowledge or advice about that. Other states with big cities if that's your thing worth consideration; Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and maybe Oklahoma or Missouri are worth consideration. Again check all states for residency requirements

Reactions: 1 user
Texas and Ohio are good bets. If you get asked about why you moved to Texas, you'll be able to truthfully say "My fiance got a job here" which addresses the "gaming the system" aspect. (It assumes you get an interview though.)

Thank you for posting this! I remember the WICHE program when I was applying to schools for undergrad but I had no idea that it applied to medical school. I'll definitely check this out.

Look into the WICHE program for the western states here: http://www.wiche.edu/psep/medi

This is an exchange program for med students in the western states that allows residents of states without medical schools to apply to participating state schools as in-state. I don't know a lot about the details of the program, but you can find a lot of info on their site. It appears that Montana and Wyoming would both be great places to look into, as they have arrangements with schools in AZ, CA, CO, HI, NV, ND, NM, OR, and UT. Also, there is even a branch of the University of Washington SOM in Wyoming, so there must be a connection between those states as well.

Thank you for posting! The variability of residency requirements is a bit of a pain and I am a bit concerned about seeing like an applicant that is trying to game the system. I will most likely work for one or two years in any state before applying (most likely as a teacher).

If you truly are open to moving anywhere you need to look at

1) A states rules for establishing residency. Some are a lot more laid back than others
2) https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

This chart will answer many of your questions. Pay attention to % of IS applicants who matriculated IS. The higher the better. If you are open to moving literally anywhere West Virginia, Arkansas, misissippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, South Carolina type states should be at he top of your list. If you want to live in a big city type environment Texas is obviously a great state to choose although be careful of their residency requirements. I've also heard stories of Texas schools being sensitive to those trying to game the system and move there just right before applying although I don't have any specific knowledge or advice about that. Other states with big cities if that's your thing worth consideration; Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and maybe Oklahoma or Missouri are worth consideration. Again check all states for residency requirements

Thank you for posting! The variability of residency requirements is a bit of a pain and I am a bit concerned about seeing like an applicant that is trying to game the system. I will most likely work for one or two years in any state before applying (most likely as a teacher).

In alot of states the whole gaming the system things is overblown I've just heard concerns about this for Texas in particular, but again this is just hearsay hardly some inside knowledge

I know Cincinnati openly tells and tries to sell their SMP students on the fact you can establish residency here just being here for one year and the fact so many of their SMP students end up in Ohio schools speaks to that so there are states where this isn't really a big issue especially if you are there for a couple years before applying

I would venture to say that your fiancé taking a job in a particular state is good enough reason to move there and establish residency. That's perfectly reasonable and I don't believe you would appear to be "gaming the system" by doing that.