Best Podiatry Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking for the thread that had the TOP podiatry residency programs. It was a long list by region and some of the hospitals were in bold to indicate that it was top notch. Could anyone send the link? I searched before I asked but could not find it.

Nevermind I found it

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking for the thread that had the TOP podiatry residency programs. It was a long list by region and some of the hospitals were in bold to indicate that it was top notch. Could anyone send the link? I searched before I asked but could not find it.

Nevermind I found it

Please share the link. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not even in pod school yet but gunners gotta gun....(should probably get back to the MCAT....t-minus 10 days)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6091105#post6091105

Thanks

riso.gif

Just keep in mind that there are no "official" rankings and this list and every other ranking list is opinion. Most of the programs I externed at are in the list, and my opinion varies widely on the strength of the programs listed that I visited. Times change and residents/residencies change. It's good to have a light at the end of the tunnel and a goal to shoot for, but realize your thoughts/plans/expectations will change over the course of podiatry school and externships. Good luck on the MCAT.

Humor me in the ranking...Grant, Inova, or Detroit?

Ranking residencies is not something that is black and white. It completely depends on what you are looking for in a program. Do you want a large hospital based program, university based, small town, large city, strong academics, etc? Depending on how you answer those questions (and many more) will change how you would rank even the three programs listed above. For example, someone may go to the three you listed and rank them 1. Detroit, 2. Grant and 3. Inova while another may rank them in opposite order.

There are so many factors to consider in a residency. I know you have heard it before but you won't be able to decide which is best for you until you visit or clerk at the program yourself. For anyone to give you an honest opinion, they would have to have had clerked or visited at the three programs themselves.

To sum up what I'm trying to say, is that if you asked enough people you would put together every possible ranking of those programs.

Ranking residencies is not something that is black and white. It completely depends on what you are looking for in a program. Do you want a large hospital based program, university based, small town, large city, strong academics, etc? Depending on how you answer those questions (and many more) will change how you would rank even the three programs listed above. For example, someone may go to the three you listed and rank them 1. Detroit, 2. Grant and 3. Inova while another may rank them in opposite order.

There are so many factors to consider in a residency. I know you have heard it before but you won't be able to decide which is best for you until you visit or clerk at the program yourself. For anyone to give you an honest opinion, they would have to have had clerked or visited at the three programs themselves.

To sum up what I'm trying to say, is that if you asked enough people you would put together every possible ranking of those programs.

Strongest surgical/academic program

Strongest surgical/academic program
All 3 are good and well-respected. I know people who would rank all 3 as #1 and I know people who would say that they are all #3 on that list. I've heard good and bad things about all of them. Vague enough? ;)

I assume you're talking about DMC when you say Detroit? I would say to go back and look at this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=409888. Krabmas is someone who used to post who did her residency at INOVA and Jonwill did his at DMC. Both post some great stories and I think even talk about their numbers at some point in the thread. That may give you some insight (from a few years ago).

Last edited:
In my opinion there is no 'best residency program"

The best residency programs out there are the ones that fit what you plan on focusing on in the future. For example, although all residency programs require surgical numbers, some residency programs will mostly focus on surgery, while others will focus on diabetic patients. Also, some residency programs will focus on preparing you for provate practice.

One needs to evaluate the residents, location, and the director while they are out completing their externships. If you can't get along with the residents, nor do you thing the city or town is a pace where you could live for the next 3-4 years, then i suggest that might not be the best residency program for you no matter how many interesting cases they get per year.

So the best residency programs for me might be the worst residency program for you. It all depends on what you want to focus on (surgery or pod medicine) once you complete the program

I don't buy into the whole residency ranking idea. Every residency is the same and different at the same time (that sounds odd). You have to find a spot where you fit in, where you will like your co-residents, etc. It's also important to consider what kind of learner you are. Do you want to do surgery all by yourself with the attending helping or are you more of a sit back and watch for a month or two while suturing and then take over? Are you comfortable doing third year level cases your first year or do you want to wait? How much are you going to study, practice and prepare or are you more laid back? Do you want to round by yourself or with co-residents? Do you want to be treated like a first year intern or like an equal to your co-residents? Do you want to learn to make money or learn to read articles... or maybe both?

The point is that every residency offers something different and some of these things change every year or two with the new residents coming and going. Many of the programs on that list have faults and many lesser known names are far better. You just have to take the time to look and have an open mind. It seems as though 1st, 2nd and 3rd year students get blinded by trying to get into these so called big name programs only to realize during their 4th year that they made a mistake.

Another interesting thing I've noticed (at least from my experiences) is that the top 10% of each class tend to go where they actually want to go based on what they want and it's the 10-25% of the class that goes where everyone thinks they should go i.e. these so called big name programs.