Best podiatry schools for research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted959484

I am wondering if some schools excel over others in terms of research opportunities/funding for podiatry students and what those opportunities look like.

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong, but when I was doing my research Scholl was the only one with a duel PHD program attached. Research seems to be abundant at all schools though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering if some schools excel over others in terms of research opportunities/funding for podiatry students and what those opportunities look like.

Midwestern’s new dean is really pushing for research opportunities. We just got a new lab with pressure plates and all sorts of cool instruments.

Our clinic and adjunct professors always sends cases to us for case presentations, etc. I think we had 6 or so cases presented at our most recent research fair (for 30 students per class, thats pretty good, IMO).

Reactions: 1 user
Every school will give you the opportunity to do research. I saw quite a few posters at the national scientific conference that were put together by students. they did a great job. There wasn't one school that seemed to have more research than another. I think CSPM can offer more biomechanics research because there's a brand new gait analysis lab on campus with new projects starting often.

Does anybody from Scholl have input on how the new research/innovation park will impact experiences for podiatry students?

Does anybody from Scholl have input on how the new research/innovation park will impact experiences for podiatry students?
I don't know much more than what's been said in the press releases regarding it, but my guess is that it will not have a large impact positive or negative on research experiences available for podiatry students. Scholl has a dedicated podiatry research group, the Center for Lower Extremity Ambulatory Research (CLEAR), that is NIH funded and has training grants that pay students to do research the summer between 1st and 2nd year. From what I saw interviewing, all schools can provide some type of research experience if you're interested, but in my opinion Scholl offers the greatest breadth of opportunities and has the most funding.

AZPod is offering $25,000 in Student Initiated Research this year in five areas: 1) Surgery, 2) Diabetic Foot Care, 3) Biomechanics and Sports Medicine, 4) Innovation in Podiatric Medicine, and 5) Wound Care.
Two $2,500 scholarships will be awarded in each of the five research areas. Students can apply for these scholarships individually or as a team of 2-4 students.

This is what is offered at AZpod currently offering and I anticipate that it will only get more involved since Dr. Jensen became our dean. He has a long history with research and values it greatly. I have personally talked to him about it and he is really pushing it to become more of a staple here at Midwestern.

Current student here- Great program. The curriculum prepares you well in terms of clinical and practical knowledge. The Curriculum is alongside the DO curriculum, with a Podiatry Specific Course curriculum as well.

I am a second year podiatry student at WesternU, we were given a $1,000 stipend over the summer between first and second year to participate in research. It could be a project designed yourself or an existing project a faculty member is already working on. I personally was able to work on anatomical variation in the lower extremity in our cadaver lab, my research partner and I are looking to publish within the next year. We have great faculty here who are always actively researching so if you are passionate in that area there will be plenty of opportunities. I know we are also building a new biomechanics/orthotics lab within the next year or two which will be an awesome resource to upcoming classes!

Reactions: 2 users