Best practice for General Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys,

Again I need advice for another student. My friend has completed Kaplan sectional workbook for General Chemistry but wants to do more practice. I don't know how well you guys recommend but what do you suggest she do for more practice? She is looking at buying EK 1001 Gen Chem for practice so is that good? I know that some people on this board have said that BR is ridiculously hard but she takes the MCAT in a month and I don't want to ruin her confidence

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Again I need advice for another student. My friend has completed Kaplan sectional workbook for General Chemistry but wants to do more practice. I don't know how well you guys recommend but what do you suggest she do for more practice? She is looking at buying EK 1001 Gen Chem for practice so is that good? I know that some people on this board have said that BR is ridiculously hard but she takes the MCAT in a month and I don't want to ruin her confidence

Thanks

BR is not ridiculously hard. It's more difficult but why practice with something easier? BR all the way for gen chem

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

Thanks

I agree with @TactFR44. TBR Gen Chem is doable and it is not ridiculously hard. TBR Bio is a different story...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
TBR is hard, but if she's already completed Kaplan's General Chemistry, she's ready for it. Get TBR.

Just remember that the goal is to learn, NOT to judge yourself based on how many TBR answers you get right. Lots of people miss every single question in some TBR passages and still do very well on the real MCAT.

TBR is hard, but if she's already completed Kaplan's General Chemistry, she's ready for it. Get TBR.

Just remember that the goal is to learn, NOT to judge yourself based on how many TBR answers you get right. Lots of people miss every single question in some TBR passages and still do very well on the real MCAT.

Getting questions WRONG is how you learn. I've learned so much by doing practice questions and thoroughly reviewing with the solutions. Just wanted to throw this into your post.

TBR Gen Chem for sure! That book, as most TBR books, has wonderful practice that effectively teaches you to apply information correctly while teaching you to think critically (not an easy task). Additionally, it does not go too far in presenting information in a difficult manner that would surpass realistic possibilities on the real deal and does not test irrelevant concepts. I think it's your best bet, but TPR science workbook does a nice job as well (plus has a lot more practice).

Also, you can take a look at our page for more discrete practice in general:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/next-step-mcat-tutor-office-hours.970/

Cheers!!

I'll second TBR Gen Chem. It's good. TBR has two weaknesses: the bio book is hot garbage and the graphic design of the actual books is irritatingly bad if you care about that sort of thing (you shouldn't).

EK gen chem is also pretty solid, but TBR hammered home some concepts that EK didn't for me.

Thanks for all the help guys! She doesn't have that much money, so if it comes down to it, EK 1001 or BR? What should she buy first?

Thanks for all the help guys! She doesn't have that much money, so if it comes down to it, EK 1001 or BR? What should she buy first?

BR chem! EK 1001 is all discrete. I feel br drills the concepts into you so I would recommend br chem for sure.