Best Psychiatry H&P Guide for Exceling on Psych Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PavlovPups

Reaction score
Hey!

Trying to see what the best intake guide or sheet you've had or utilized to interview a patient during your psychiatry rotation.

Found this from MatchPsychiatry and was going to use it: Free Resources – MatchPsychiatry

Any other resources to help with doing well? I know FirstAid Psychiatry is a popular go to for information.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I made my own. PM me and I can send it to you.

A bit more broad than what you're requesting, The Psychiatric Interview by Daniel Carlat is a really excellent book that I would highly recommend to any med student looking to excel in their psychiatry rotation (or any psych intern who hasn't read it.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The H&P in that link isn't very good. That psych ROS is terrible and it's missing MSE and physical exam portions. If a med student presented straight off that I'd be unimpressed. Here's a much better one (from Etsy of all places) that's more like what I used:

I think the psych medication section in your link is actually better. There's also more than I typically want/expect in the link I provided, but does a better job covering the things I'd expect someone to know when presenting a patient. It also has an assessment and plan section to help you organize your thoughts and presentation, which is an easy way to stand out if you're a student.

A bit more broad than what you're requesting, The Psychiatric Interview by Daniel Carlat is a really excellent book that I would highly recommend to any med student looking to excel in their psychiatry rotation (or any psych intern who hasn't read it.)
Second this, and it's actually one of the links for medical students in the link OP posted. All four of the additional resources in the OP's link are solid for medical students imo.