Best Stethoscope, 2013 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the same diagnostic set, except I had to buy mine.

Oh believe me, I had to buy mine too, $42K in tuition includes an "equipment fee".

The only advantage is that the fee was $700.00 which I know is less than even the Panoptic scope on it's own. We must get some sort of huge group discount or something.

The class above me even got the Littmann Electronic stethoscopes. The school wanted to experiment with some of the features like recording of heart-sounds, etc. in an educational setting. I guess they decided the cost vs. return didn't exactly add up so my class was back to standard stethoscopes.

Either way, it's not free, but it's also not a bad way to get some of the standard equipment that a doc often needs to own anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh believe me, I had to buy mine too, $42K in tuition includes an "equipment fee".

The only advantage is that the fee was $700.00 which I know is less than even the Panoptic scope on it's own. We must get some sort of huge group discount or something.

The class above me even got the Littmann Electronic stethoscopes. The school wanted to experiment with some of the features like recording of heart-sounds, etc. in an educational setting. I guess they decided the cost vs. return didn't exactly add up so my class was back to standard stethoscopes.

Either way, it's not free, but it's also not a bad way to get some of the standard equipment that a doc often needs to own anyway.

Agreed. The stethoscope I have is worth roughly $250 but we got a bulk discount of ~$100 so it wasn't that bad for a long-term investment. I opted for the cheaper sphygmomanometer and cheaper panoptic oto/ophtho set. In total I paid about $500. With a fee of $700, I hope your school gave you guys the better panoptic sets and fancy sphygmomanometer that you don't need :smuggrin:.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all specialties use stethoscopes bro. I second J-Rad. For a gift, that's fine get a nice one. If you're buying a brand new one for yourself, just get the cheap ****. I got some junk throw-away one and it works just fine for what I need it to do. I can afford all this bling-blang, I just choose not to. My classmates all have the Cardio IIIs plus the Pan-Optic and MacroView. Don't need it at all at this stage of the game. Just one more thing to worry about losing. I've touched my stethescope maybe 3 times for ICM practical exams.

Maybe buy a nicer one when doing rotations, but for yrs 1 and 2..... get something cheap.

Thats sort of surprising to me. Don't you do sim labs and standardized patients weekly? Or maybe you mean you use school equipment for that? Or maybe diff schools just do things differently...

Agreed. The stethoscope I have is worth roughly $250 but we got a bulk discount of ~$100 so it wasn't that bad for a long-term investment. I opted for the cheaper sphygmomanometer and cheaper panoptic oto/ophtho set. In total I paid about $500. With a fee of $700, I hope your school gave you guys the better panoptic sets and fancy sphygmomanometer that you don't need :smuggrin:.

When they told us we were getting a huge deal, I was curious, so I went and priced the stuff out individually.

Yeah, we got the better Panoptic, otoscope and ophthalmoscope, and the Welch-Allyn "Family Practice" shock resistant sphygmomanometer set with all the cuff sizes etc. Most of it never gets touched since BP cuffs are in all the clinics I've been in, as are otoscope and ophthalmoscopes. But my first rotation this summer will involve some homeless outreach on the streets; so having my own gear to pack along certainly helps. And I guess it's one less thing to buy when I get to residency or practice if I were to need to. Like I said, it came with the matriculation package so I didn't ask for it, or choose the equipment I wanted, they just have us a big shipment of stuff.

All told the gear they have us would retail for about $1.7K if we purchased them ourselves without some sort of discount. Everything we got is top of the line.

Buying over 100 sets a year in one huge purchase probably helps the school give us the deal we got.

Thats sort of surprising to me. Don't you do sim labs and standardized patients weekly? Or maybe you mean you use school equipment for that? Or maybe diff schools just do things differently...

I don't know when you would have time to do sim labs and standardized patients weekly. Our first year is solely dedicated to basic sciences with some ICM labs sprinkled in. Like I said, we are required to do a H&P for our ICM class but that's like once or twice a quarter. Next year (MS2) might be different though.

I don't know when you would have time to do sim labs and standardized patients weekly. Our first year is solely dedicated to basic sciences with some ICM labs sprinkled in. Like I said, we are required to do a H&P for our ICM class but that's like once or twice a quarter. Next year (MS2) might be different though.

Although my school loves to show interviewees the sim lab, we don't actually do anything with them first year. M2s spend a lot more time with them than we do. We went in there once last semester to hear different heart sounds when we were doing heart, lung, and abdomen exam stuff in Physical Diagnosis. That's it, though. We also have standardized patient interactions twice a semester for CSEs. Other than those scheduled times, we use our stethoscopes sparingly in the Physical Diagnosis course.

Although my school loves to show interviewees the sim lab, we don't actually do anything with them first year. M2s spend a lot more time with them than we do. We went in there once last semester to hear different heart sounds when we were doing heart, lung, and abdomen exam stuff in Physical Diagnosis. That's it, though. We also have standardized patient interactions twice a semester for CSEs. Other than those scheduled times, we use our stethoscopes sparingly in the Physical Diagnosis course.

We have a Sim Lab elective which I just luckily got into today (28 slots for both MS1 and MS2) so I might be using my stethoscope more in the near future ;):thumbup:

We have a Sim Lab elective which I just luckily got into today (28 slots for both MS1 and MS2) so I might be using my stethoscope more in the near future ;):thumbup:

:cool:

Sent from my Galaxy S2, I think. But I don't really know, I'm just a lowly premed.

Sweet. What's a sim lab elective? :D

Sweet. What's a sim lab elective? :D

>_>

We have to do 2 credits worth of electives during MS 1+2. Clinical Simulation Lab elective is basically what it sounds like :p Standardized robot patients etc. We do our thang yo. The MS1 thang.

AZCOM starting to sound more awesome.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So you gonna go to AZCOM over your MD choice? :smuggrin:

I already withdrew AACOMAS. That and I withdrew my AZCOM interview. Shucks.

good to know about all the sim lab stuff...a lot of the schools seemed to let on (ie say! lol) that we'd be in there weekly, starting M1. Over selling ;) haha...

good to know about all the sim lab stuff...a lot of the schools seemed to let on (ie say! lol) that we'd be in there weekly, starting M1. Over selling ;) haha...

Yea no. What the hell would you do in there every week? Hi, My name is.... slimshady.

Last edited:
>_>

We have to do 2 credits worth of electives during MS 1+2. Clinical Simulation Lab elective is basically what it sounds like :p Standardized robot patients etc. We do our thang yo. The MS1 thang.

So in other words not much :smuggrin:. JK. Sounds like it's going to be a good experience. I hope it prepares you well for rotations. It kind of sounds like that's what it's supposed to do. :thumbup:

So in other words not much :smuggrin:. JK. Sounds like it's going to be a good experience. I hope it prepares you well for rotations. It kind of sounds like that's what it's supposed to do. :thumbup:

Pretty much. I fully expect this class to only give me a minor leg up come rotation time. Or help me treat our robot overlords when they take over. I'm down for either one.

Yea no. What the hell would you do in there every week? Hi, My name is.... slimshady.

haha...fine.

I'll tell you this much, if I spend more than $100 on a stethoscope (which is likely to happen), imma use that thing as much as possible. Sim lab, sure. Grocery store, check the melons. Safes, cracking 'em...

I got a Cardiology III for Christmas, and it is as great as advertised.

haha...fine.

I'll tell you this much, if I spend more than $100 on a stethoscope (which is likely to happen), imma use that thing as much as possible. Sim lab, sure. Grocery store, check the melons. Safes, cracking 'em...

usage of the thing after a harsh exam.. :laugh:

11961015-portrait-of-a-female-doctor-hanging-herself-with-stethoscope-making-funny-grimace--isolated-on-white.jpg

jk.. don't use it this way Half, we'll bust the cr.p out of life with you during residency man..

haha...fine.

I'll tell you this much, if I spend more than $100 on a stethoscope (which is likely to happen), imma use that thing as much as possible. Sim lab, sure. Grocery store, check the melons Safes, cracking 'em...

:laugh::laugh::thumbup:

Ya'll should really chill on this thread. I would strongly advise against buying a steth until you at least start school. For two reasons.

1) Where I will matriculate, every current MSI was given a cardio III at the start of fall, donated by the state osteo association. Doesn't happen every year but you never know.
2) Schools often have big discounts on clinical equipment (this includes bp cuffs, sphygs, oto/laryng scopes etc) because they buy direct and in bulk if students purchase all at once.

I know it is exciting and doctorish but you could be pissing away $$.

Ya'll should really chill on this thread. I would strongly advise against buying a steth until you at least start school. For two reasons.

1) Where I will matriculate, every current MSI was given a cardio III at the start of fall, donated by the state osteo association. Doesn't happen every year but you never know.
2) Schools often have big discounts on clinical equipment (this includes bp cuffs, sphygs, oto/laryng scopes etc) because they buy direct and in bulk if students purchase all at once.

I know it is exciting and doctorish but you could be pissing away $$.

:thumbup:

After all this...I think I'll end up with the master cardio, smoke finish. It just looks cool, which is basically what a scope is for, Im pretty sure.

35148120.jpg

2176_ba.jpg

After all this...I think I'll end up with the master cardio, smoke finish. It just looks cool, which is basically what a scope is for, Im pretty sure.

35148120.jpg

2176_ba.jpg

That doesn't have a bell yo! Not that you really need it but.... it doesn't have a bell, yo.

I didn't read any of this thread, but a lot of schools will give you some, or all, of your medical equipment. So I wouldn't go buy anything just yet.

35148120.jpg

2176_ba.jpg

Always loved the Master but I think if you went to Nova, you'd have to have both bell and diaphragm on it. Can't have the tunable one. Got that info from the FB page.

It does! Google Littmann tuneable diaphragm design, it's pretty cool.

:thumbup: Looks cool

I didn't read any of this thread, but a lot of schools will give you some, or all, of your medical equipment. So I wouldn't go buy anything just yet.

Yes, this is true...No purchases will be made until I know.

Always loved the Master but I think if you went to Nova, you'd have to have both bell and diaphragm on it. Can't have the tunable one. Got that info from the FB page.

I wonder if thats still true? The cardio iii is also tunable...

But, I'll check with whatever school before I make the purchase. I cant see any of them caring that much though, but Ill check just in case

The cardio iii is also tunable...

I assume that if a school had this rule it would apply to solely tunable steths...again, the Cardio III can be transformed into a standard bell as well by removing the Peds diaphragm. The only reason I chose it over the Master to learn with.

Edit:

You may have come across this in your search, but the dude in this video has his converted into the standard bell and addresses it as well.

[YOUTUBE]IenXWN6ZjgQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Eh I may have meant something else. I'm not a pro on these things :p but I heard Nova is specific with what they want you to get. Could be a deciding factor for schools. Choice of scope or iPad? Decisions....

I assume that if a school had this rule it would apply to solely tunable steths...again, the Cardio III can be transformed into a standard bell as well by removing the Peds diaphragm. The only reason I chose it over the Master to learn with.

Edit:

You may have come across this in your search, but the dude in this video has his converted into the standard bell and addresses it as well.

[YOUTUBE]IenXWN6ZjgQ[/YOUTUBE]

thats a good thought Kenob...Ill have to make sure that wont be a problem before getting the Master. (edit: though, its not too complicate to use the tunable scopes like he seemed confused by, lol)

As a side note, I used the cardio iii as an EMT and it is, of course, awesome/sufficient. I wouldn't expect to get any better performance (that I could hear!) from the master. I do like the looks and ergonomics of the master better though. So, we'll see.

Last edited:
Eh I may have meant something else. I'm not a pro on these things :p but I heard Nova is specific with what they want you to get. Could be a deciding factor for schools. Choice of scope or iPad? Decisions....

No part of the decision process should be based in "freebies". It's a misnomer.

I'll edit to add that in the case of Nova and the iPad, I'd be shocked if that was given to you by the school pro bono. I'm skeptical of that deal anyway.

Last edited:

I'll edit to add that in the case of Nova and the iPad, I'd be shocked if that was given to you by the school pro bono. I'm skeptical of that deal anyway.

Agreed! On all counts…

Oh I totally agree with you. Mostly kidding around because it's amusing how we are paying out every oriface possible and they like to throw in these things as "deals."

My school gives all students a free medical education. You just need to pay the $50k lab fee.

My school gives all students a free medical education. You just need to pay the $50k lab fee.

My undergrad according to state law can't charge tuition. So instead they charge us "tuition and fees" bundled together.

Sent from my Galaxy S2, I think. But I don't really know, I'm just a lowly premed.

Oh I totally agree with you. Mostly kidding around because it's amusing how we are paying out every oriface possible and they like to throw in these things as "deals."

Gotcha :cool:

thats a good thought Kenob...Ill have to make sure that wont be a problem before getting the Master. (edit: though, its not too complicate to use the tunable scopes like he seemed confused by, lol)

As a side note, I used the cardio iii as an EMT and it is, of course, awesome/sufficient. I wouldn't expect to get any better performance (that I could hear!) from the master. I do like the looks and ergonomics of the master better though. So, we'll see.

Haha. For sure.

I'm just going to leave this, very natural, not at all awkward, review of the master cardio right here for your viewing pleasure. De nada:

http://youtu.be/_HayhAIdv4A

:laugh: Muchas gracias, amigo! Too many funny things about this video. I almost feel bad that it has 1,909 views currently, with 0 :thumbup: and 5 :thumbdown:. They're starting out behind. They need to fire the cue card holder. He left that guy out to dry.

Master Cardio for me- parents got it for me when I got accepted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar

Master Cardio for me- parents got it for me when I got accepted

:thumbup:

:laugh: Muchas gracias, amigo! Too many funny things about this video. I almost feel bad that it has 1,909 views currently, with 0 :thumbup: and 5 :thumbdown:. They're starting out behind. They need to fire the cue card holder. He left that guy out to dry.

haha...I loved the hand on hip pose over and over and over. so many funny things about that video.