Best time to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cisel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am interested in applying to podiatry school for the 2017 year. I have yet to take the MCAT, and am not planning on taking it until after the fall semester since I am taking a few science classes that will be covered on the MCAT (biochem, cell bio, and genetics) during that time . With that said, I know the application cycle opens in August and begins getting full around April or so (I may be wrong, that was just my understanding). For that reason, I am planning on taking the MCAT around January since I have yet to start studying for the MCAT. My overall GPA is a 3.82 and my science GPA is about a 3.6, as of this moment lol...still have a couple hard courses to go. I won't be done with the prereqs for podiatry school until the spring (I will be taking orgo 1 lab and physics 2/lab). My question for you is when do you think is the best time I apply, and/or do you suggest me changing my fall schedule to be more fit for my application? I read I am able to apply when those classes are in progress, so I was thinking possibly January? Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate it! I just want to make sure I'm on the right track with everything, and if you have any other suggestions, that would be great!! Good luck with everything.

Members don't see this ad.

I would get into the online application during the Fall to start inputing your transcripts, work on your personal statement, optional essays, etc. so that you'll be ready to submit as soon as your MCAT is ready. Keep in mind that it takes about 30 days to get your official MCAT score so even if you take the MCAT in January you won't be able to submit your score to the application service until February.

All that being said, your GPA is well above average for podiatry so even if you submit in February, March, or April I would expect that you'll get interviews and acceptances. The thing is that the smaller schools might not have many seats left by then. But most of the schools will probably still have seats and they'll be glad to have your stats... errr...I mean you.

Also, the fact that you'll still have courses in progress doesn't matter. No need to rush anything, as long as everything is finished before school next Fall. I think there's only one pod school that says you have to have everything done before the Spring semester, but they might not even enforce it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I would get into the online application during the Fall to start inputing your transcripts, work on your personal statement, optional essays, etc. so that you'll be ready to submit as soon as your MCAT is ready. Keep in mind that it takes about 30 days to get your official MCAT score so even if you take the MCAT in January you won't be able to submit your score to the application service until February.

All that being said, your GPA is well above average for podiatry so even if you submit in February, March, or April I would expect that you'll get interviews and acceptances. The thing is that the smaller schools might not have many seats left by then. But most of the schools will probably still have seats and they'll be glad to have your stats... errr...I mean you.

Also, the fact that you'll still have courses in progress doesn't matter. No need to rush anything, as long as everything is finished before school next Fall. I think there's only one pod school that says you have to have everything done before the Spring semester, but they might not even enforce it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. May I ask which are the smaller schools you were referring to? Also would you suggest still taking the MCAT in January? Sorry for so many questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. May I ask which are the smaller schools you were referring to? Also would you suggest still taking the MCAT in January? Sorry for so many questions!

Off the top of my head, smaller schools are: CSPM, AZPOD

Class sizes ~30

Probably one or two more I'm missing.

Places I've heard on this forum that have slots later in the app cycle: DMU, Kent

agree with bobtheweazel that your stats are really great. It's probably just a matter of class size. I would imagine that classes like Scholl, Temple, Kent will have lots of room still in January if you waited till then. I wouldn't worry. When I interviewed at Kent in March of this year, their class was half only full. I think the best course of action is to have your application complete and send in your transcripts and everything early just so you can get the verification process out of the way. I don't think you need the MCAT score for the verification process. You can put in your planned courses and update the schools once you get the grades for those courses. hope that helps and best of luck!

@prepodchi great thank you so much! Will you be attending Kent?
I'm going to scholl actually. Woohoo. I interviewed there the first week of April and still was offered scholarship. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions!