Best Upper Level Science Classes for 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravens18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning when to take future classes. I've read that besides the prerequisite classes biochemistry, human physiology, and genetics are the most helpful upper level science classes for the mcat. Is this true? Are there any others? I'm planning on being a psychology major and besides all the prerequisite classes for medical school I plan on taking only the upper level science classes that'll be of any benefit for the mcat

Members don't see this ad.

A word of caution: As a 2014* MCAT tutor, I've noticed that a common mistake is to focus on advanced material that the MCAT DOES NOT TEST. So many people get lousy scores after getting a masters in Biology, etc. and dancing over to Prometric thinking they are more than prepared. Sad thing is, 2014 MCAT tests the BASICS only.

*Disclaimer: I don't tutor 2015 MCAT so maybe it's different and maybe it's not. (I read the part where you said, "2015 MCAT.")

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree the the majority of what is taught in human physio is extremely helpful with the bio portion of the MCAT. I have not yet taken biochem so I can't comment on its usefulness. I believe that the upper division genetics class that I took was complete overkill for the MCAT and most material from the class was too advanced and not applicable to the exam.