Best way to alert schools to mistake in hours listed for submitted application activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastedbutter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
@Moko should've read your thread a couple extra times.

On one of my activities, which is also my primary clinical experience, I took the number of months I worked multiplied by about 45 hours per month (given I worked shifts 4-5 times a month that were usually around 10hrs in my memory) and came up with a good faith estimate for my completed hours that I put into AMCAS. The day before I submitted, a friend who worked at the same healthcare system as me explained, I could actually look up past pay stubs and calculate the exact number of hours I worked based on paychecks. I did this, and the number was about 150 hours less than what I estimated. Maybe I worked shorter shifts than I remember or took more vacation than I anticipated. In either case, I went into the application and put in the new number. The next morning, I submitted.

My application was verified yesterday, and I looked over the PDF after it was verified and saw that the old number, the 150 extra hours one, was what went through the application. The change I made didn't go through. I reviewed the application the morning before I submitted through the print feature and read every single word I wrote for typos and checked all the contact information, but I guess I forgot to check the hours I put into all my activities. That's the only activity that's affected, but the point stands: my application, as it will reach schools, has an activity that has a 150 hour overestimation.

Obviously, I understand now that my application is submitted and verified that number can't change. I reached out to the physician I worked under, who also wrote me a letter of recommendation that many of the schools I'm applying to will receive, for advice and he said it is not a big deal but is happy to corroborate if I reach out to schools. This is the same physician I listed under the activity contact in AMCAS.

I also reached out to the nurse manager of this clinic, who was happy to include her contact information in an email I would send to the schools.

My approach was to email every school I applied to with a simple explanation of what happened, firm statement that clearly states the correct number of hours that the activity should have, as well as the contact information for both the physician and the nurse manager with the statement that says they both are aware of what happened and are happy to be contacted for verification purposes.

Is there anything else I should be doing, or should I approach this problem in a different way? Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

@Moko should've read your thread a couple extra times.

On one of my activities, which is also my primary clinical experience, I... came up with a good faith estimate for my completed hours that I put into AMCAS. The day before I submitted, a friend who worked at the same healthcare system as me explained, I could actually look up past pay stubs and calculate the exact number of hours I worked based on paychecks. I did this, and the number was about 150 hours less than what I estimated.

My application was verified yesterday, and I looked over the PDF after it was verified and saw that the old number, the 150 extra hours one, was what went through the application. The change I made didn't go through... my application, as it will reach schools, has an activity that has a 150 hour overestimation.

Is there anything else I should be doing, or should I approach this problem in a different way? Any help would be great.
First off, relax! I would not email any schools about this. If I'm reading it correctly, this 150 hour difference is not a large percentage of your hours. For example, no one will care whether it was 500 vs 650 hours. Might be different if your submitted number was orders of magnitude greater than the actual number, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. There's lots of things to stress over during the application process, this should not be one of them. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, relax! I would not email any schools about this. If I'm reading it correctly, this 150 hour difference is not a large percentage of your hours. For example, no one will care whether it was 500 vs 650 hours. Might be different if your submitted number was orders of magnitude greater than the actual number, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. There's lots of things to stress over during the application process, this should not be one of them. Just my thoughts.
If that is what is best...

Just to provide any more relevant details to see if that changes anything: Yes, it is 700 listed and 550 actual. My paystubs add up to 500, and I consider an extra 50 for unpaid cpr and quarterly trainings I did over a year and a half of employment. I just want to do my due diligence and present everything ethically. The activity in question is my ONLY clinical experience (besides shadowing). I also don't want an acceptance to be rescinded because of this...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Coincur with the above. 550 vs 700 is small potatoes. No one is going to dig that deep into a work experience and no offer will get pulled for such a minor over-estimate. Now if you had worked 50 hours and listed 200 that would be a different beast.

Coincur with the above. 550 vs 700 is small potatoes. No one is going to dig that deep into a work experience and no offer will get pulled for such a minor over-estimate. Now if you had worked 50 hours and listed 200 that would be a different beast.
Okay, thank you. I have been ****ting bullets over this for the last 48 hours lol. Thank you all.

• Care
Okay, thank you. I have been ****ting bullets over this for the last 48 hours lol. Thank you all.
Here's a random picture to hopefully make your day a little bit better:
Other - Pikachu.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users