New school alert - University of Georgia to launch new school of medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildWing

SDN Staff
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, UGA partners with Augusta University to educate students in Athens, but they will be setting up their own school:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Any thoughts on how this would affect this cycle's MCG/Augusta's acceptees and if we should stick to Augusta over Athens due to possible instability over UGA SOM's accreditation?

Any thoughts on how this would affect this cycle's MCG/Augusta's acceptees and if we should stick to Augusta over Athens due to possible instability over UGA SOM's accreditation?
It's not like this is going to be CNU, or some of the for-profit DO schools. This is a state sponsored MD school.

They won't have any problem with accreditation.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not like this is going to be CNU, or some of the for-profit DO schools. This is a state sponsored MD school.

They won't have any problem with accreditation.
I think they meant, that since MCG has 1 main campus at Athens and a 2nd at Augusta, should newly accepted students to MCG try to choose Augusta? The MS3 and MS4 at the new UGA school will likely be based in Athens and take up the clerkship space there.

However, there won't be MS3/4 from the new school for a few years so I don't think it will affect MCG students yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they meant, that since MCG has 1 main campus at Athens and a 2nd at Augusta, should newly accepted students to MCG try to choose Augusta? The MS3 and MS4 at the new UGA school will likely be based in Athens and take up the clerkship space there.

However, there won't be MS3/4 from the new school for a few years so I don't think it will affect MCG students yet.
That’s another thing I was also wondering about, which campus would be better for my clinical rotation years if the Athens campus transitions to become UGA school of medicine? a lot of friends and advisors mention sticking with Augusta due to more affiliated hospitals, though I’ll likely be traveling across the state for my rotations. With Athens campus, I live 50 mins away from the Athens campus so it’s close to family. Also I heard Athens students don‘t travel as far spread out as Augusta students for rotations And they tend to stay within the Atlanta-Athens-Oconee region of Georgia.

The article doesn't mention the date they will enroll their first class, so it will probably be at least a year or two before they have MS-1s starting. And I doubt they'll be rushing it open to get money like Cal Northstate did - that's probably the article's purpose, to kick off a big fundraising drive.

The article doesn't mention the date they will enroll their first class, so it will probably be at least a year or two before they have MS-1s starting. And I doubt they'll be rushing it open to get money like Cal Northstate did - that's probably the article's purpose, to kick off a big fundraising drive.