Best way to "build contact" at a med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do as some people have advised and attempt to make contacts at the medical school of my choice, but i am having a hard time figuring out what to do. i've requested viewbook materials and whatnot, but should i try and email the dean of admissions, or even the whole med school? More than likely, it will not have any bearing on their decision, but still, it something that i can do rather than sit and wait for secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

you could email the admissions secretaries and ask questions concerning the school and expressing your interest

My suggestion would be to build contacts because you want to, not because you feel you have to. Here's what you gotta do:

1) Find a doctor who does something you're very interested in. Don't worry if they're on the admissions committee, just be sure your interest is genuine.
2) Contact them, preferably via e-mail, and tell them that you're very interested in what they're doing, and could they tell you some more about their work? Mention that you're applying to the school. If you're local, it may even be possible to arrange a meeting or shadowing day with this doctor.
3) When secondary/interview time rolls around, you will be able to mention that you have been in contact with this doctor. Not only will this signify that you have a interest in this school, but it also shows that your interest in medicine is genuine. Trust me, even if the doctor you contact isn't on the adcom, the doctors will surely know each other.

I would advise against harassing admissions committees unnecessarily. It's absolutely fine to request informational materials from them or check your status, and it's nice if they know who you are later in the process (ie, when interview time rolls around). But if they know your name at this juncture, it's usually because you've been an unrelenting pain in the ass. Think of them as more of a resource than a contact right now. Contacts should be people you pick out because you're genuinely interested in what they're doing, not because you think they'll increase your odds of acceptance. Besides, anyone affiliated with a med school has a sixth sense for premeds who brownnose, and no one appreciates that. If you're sincere and interested and polite, however, that could get you very far.

Members don't see this ad :)
"...But if they know your name at this juncture, it's usually because you've been an unrelenting pain in the ass."

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. I am only applying to one in-state med school and there is a woman in student affairs with whom I have been on a first-name basis since March. I have called a few times with application inquiries, but not incessently. I have called to check the status of my application and to ask what I could do to help my chances of being admitted. She has even instructed me to mention her name in my letter of intention so that the adcoms will know that I am truly committed to their med school. I only call when I really have a question that I can't find an answer to on their website. Just my opinion.

Do u think u should only use connections at a school that is your top choice. Or do u think u can have people write you letters at a couple different schools that you'd like to go to? Or does not of it really matter?

futured.o. said:
"...But if they know your name at this juncture, it's usually because you've been an unrelenting pain in the ass."

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. I am only applying to one in-state med school and there is a woman in student affairs with whom I have been on a first-name basis since March. I have called a few times with application inquiries, but not incessently. I have called to check the status of my application and to ask what I could do to help my chances of being admitted. She has even instructed me to mention her name in my letter of intention so that the adcoms will know that I am truly committed to their med school. I only call when I really have a question that I can't find an answer to on their website. Just my opinion.

You're right, it does depend on the situation. I was assuming the OP was going to be applying to an allopathic school that receives thousands of applications a year, because that's what I dealt with during my application cycle (I'm a CA resident :p ). It is indeed different if you're working with a school that receives fewer applications each year (you won't get lost in the shuffle quite as much), and it's also quite different if you're a local. I was living in Davis as I applied to UCD, and the people in the admissions office definitely knew who I was since I was local, I went to all the pre-matriculation functions, and I already had ties to UCD as I went there for undergrad. I also was decidedly more meticulous about my application process there, because they were very high on my list in terms of where I wanted to go.

The bottom line is that you really have to assess what behavior is best for the situation. Some admissions offices like to hear from you, some really don't. NYU's admissions people were decidedly unfriendly to me, and definitely gave me the impression that they did not give a rip who I was or what I wanted. UCD's admissions people were wonderful. It really all depends.