Best ways to learn Medical Chinese

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiologynerd

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a new cardiology fellow and would like to know what are the best strategies to learn and practice Medical Chinese. I hope to have a strong level of fluency especially in medical terminology by the time I graduate fellowship and practice general cardiology.
Baseline I have conversational to intermediate level of Mandarin and Cantonese and can read Chinese as well. Honestly my speaking and listening skills are a bit rusty as I have not been practicing.
I'm considering enrolling in a class here in the US but if there are recommended hospitals in Asia where there is adequate patient interaction, would like to know this as well. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am a new cardiology fellow and would like to know what are the best strategies to learn and practice Medical Chinese. I hope to have a strong level of fluency especially in medical terminology by the time I graduate fellowship and practice general cardiology.
Baseline I have conversational to intermediate level of Mandarin and Cantonese and can read Chinese as well. Honestly my speaking and listening skills are a bit rusty as I have not been practicing.
I'm considering enrolling in a class here in the US but if there are recommended hospitals in Asia where there is adequate patient interaction, would like to know this as well. Thanks.
Where are you located? I'm guessing there may be programs in Singapore or Hong Kong, but I don't know offhand.

Where are you located? I'm guessing there may be programs in Singapore or Hong Kong, but I don't know offhand.

I'm currently in the US for fellowship. I guess online Medical Chinese is easiest to do but I would like to immerse myself and practice with the locals.

I'm currently in the US for fellowship. I guess online Medical Chinese is easiest to do but I would like to immerse myself and practice with the locals.
See if there are community centers that cater to Asian groups, especially seniors. There are also health clinics. It may be a little harder to find but look for church groups and missions that may want English speaking volunteers as teachers. Maybe your hospital knows of some opportunities for outreach.