beta blockers contraindicated in prinzmetal's angina?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this during step II prep and cant really pinpoint why. One source also mentioned that aspirin is contraindicated in prinzmetal's angina which I find it very hard to believe. Can anyone shed some light onto this?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

beta-blockers leave the alpha1 receptors available for binding by various endogenous hormones (ie think NE)...hence the DoC for prinzmetal's angina is CCB...specifically a dihydropyridine CCB, the ones which end in -dipine (ie nimodipine - which is commonly used to prevent the vasospasm seen from a subarachnoid hemorrhage of a berry aneurysm).

beta-blockers leave the alpha1 receptors available for binding by various endogenous hormones (ie think NE)...hence the DoC for prinzmetal's angina is CCB...specifically a dihydropyridine CCB, the ones which end in -dipine (ie nimodipine - which is commonly used to prevent the vasospasm seen from a subarachnoid hemorrhage of a berry aneurysm).

crap why didn't I think of that. Like how Beta blockers are contraindicated in cocaine overdose...unopposed alpha agonism. Thanks a lot!

One source also mentioned that aspirin is contraindicated in prinzmetal's angina which I find it very hard to believe. Can anyone shed some light onto this?
Thanks!
In prinzmetal's angina the pathophysiology is coronary spasm and not clot formation/propagation. Therefore, there is nothing Aspirin can do but to mess up the vasodilator mechanisms in the endothelium since it is an inhibitor of prostacyclin production as well as nitric oxide.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)