Beta Oxidation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if beta oxidation will be on the MCAT?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's oddly specific. Do you have a phobia of Acetyl CoA or something?

Honest answer: maybe. Will the synthesis of Misoprostol be on the MCAT? Will anammox be on the MCAT? Again, maybe.

Beta-oxidation would likely be explained in a passage if it appears on the MCAT. Specific knowledge of biochemistry is not required.

That's oddly specific. Do you have a phobia of Acetyl CoA or something?

Honest answer: maybe. Will the synthesis of Misoprostol be on the MCAT? Will anammox be on the MCAT? Again, maybe.

Beta-oxidation would likely be explained in a passage if it appears on the MCAT. Specific knowledge of biochemistry is not required.

Lol no, I just remembered it randomly from biochem and I noticed the TPR books didn't mention it. Thanks for answering my question though :).

Bump. Is b-oxidation on the MCAT nowdays? It is in TBR but not TPR, but we all know how TBR is. :D

In other words, is it sufficient to simply know that a 16 carbon fatty acid will create 8 Acetyl-CoAs (through bond cleavage - 2 carbons being removed in each cycle) which can than enter the Kreb's cycle? And this creation of 8 acetyl-CoAs is why fatty acids are so energy-dense?