betadine gel for ultrasound guide injection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpainfree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ultrasound-tips-daily-how-tos.824230/#post-11023710

It was mentioned in this link above to use betadine gel as a substitute of transducer gel.

I just got my ultrasound and plan to use the following techniques to prepare a sterile condition for ultrasound guide injection, especially for joint injections.

I have seen joint injection done by orthopod went wrong, and patient had intra-articular infection, not pretty!

This will be done with one physician with no assistant.

1. prepare the injection site with povidine-iodine 10% swabstick
2. use tegaderm to cover transducer head
3. apply betadine 10% gel to the injection site after the first layer of betadine is dried
4. imagine the injection site
5. perform injection
6. clean the site with alcohol pad (or something larger but economical)
7. apply sterile gauze and tegaderm at the site (mostly for joint injections)
8. remove tegaderm on the transducer probe and wipe the probe with wet/dry paper towel and

I have the following questions, and would appreciate your feedback/comments,

Question
1. Please clarify the effect on the image quality with betadine gel.
2. Betadine is supposed to be effective when it is dried. How is betadine gel in its "wet" form supposed to be effective?
3. Step 6 above, if you got a lot of gel at/around the injection site, what do you use to wipe them off and still maintain the sterility at the injection/needle entry point?
4. Step 7 above, what about applying a dab of betadine gel and cover with a bandage for money-saving?
5. any problems/suggestions do you see with this protocol as far as infection risk, cost, and flow go?

Thank you all for your comments.

Members don't see this ad.