Better or worse to over think a question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmewithochem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies in advance for not making this as extensive as it should be but I'm having a problem with attacking questions, particularly biology and conceptual physical science questions. When I try to be as thorough as a I can I find myself over thinking a question and then choosing the 50/50 answer purposely meant to dissuade the correct answer.

When I employ a more simplistic approach, I find myself choosing an answer that is decent, but not necessarily the BEST answer. Like for instance, a question that asks for the ultimate source of energy in a Na/K+ pump. If I were trying to answer the question under time constaints i would definitely go with something related to the breakdown of ATP, whereas if you really think about it oxidation via glycolysis and the krebs cycle would be a better more thorough answer.

In your opinion and with respect to the MCAT, is it better to be as thorough as possible or just choose a question having taken it at face value, answer it, and then move on? I hope this makes sense

Members don't see this ad.

On the MCAT, always pick the face-value answer.
Seconded. They are testing whether you recognize the subject being questioned and know the answer that follows from a basic knowledge of that subject. Over-thinking a question or spending time trying to generate counter examples will always lead you astray.