Big H's HST vs New Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkChild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these programs do you think is easier to get into?
Personally I think the HST program must get a helluva lot of attention because of its joint status with MIT... but what about the new pathway anyway?
Can anyone back these opinions up with fact?

Members don't see this ad.

well considering that hst has considerably fewer spots than new pathways - it probably is harder to get into. however, thats also comparing apples to oranges a bit, the programs seem to look for completely different things. hst is much more quantitatively driven, diffyq is a pre-req - while new pathways seems to invite the super liberal arts, done something amazing, swell people kinda students. among the 5 societies, 4 are new pathways, and one is hst. my friend there says hst kids aren't always the most socially adept people ;). i'm gonna go out on a limb, but i don't think either are particularly easy to get into - i'm certainly not even considering holding my breath for them. but if you have the background, you might as well apply for both.
-jot

new pathways is just regular md, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
hst is as well. however, more than 1/2 go on to get their phds, so people often confuse it with an md/phd program. both newpathways and hst are reg md.

HST at harvard is basically like getting a PhD in four years, except you leave with an MD. When I was applying to Harvard and saw HST, i didn't know what the hell it was. I read something about MIT, and I really new that I didn't want to do it so I went with New Pathway. Remember that you can apply to both: both have seperate interviews and screening processes. The big difference is that HST is lecture intensive. If you like a lot of lectures go for it. You also have to do research and complete a thesis before you graduate. I really don't know how hard it is to get into since many of the people I know stayed clear of it. I would apply to both, you have nothing to lose.

for the secondary there is no essay for new pathway, but there is an essay for HST. you have explain why you want HST.

i have a couple of friends doing HST for their PhDs. they said it is really tough, everyone in the program is super smart.

just looked at the new mstp newsletter from harvard - i don't even know why i'm applying. i think i'm goign to save time and money and ditch this one ... maybe thats late night essay writing talking ...

If you apply MD/PhD to Harvard, is it better to do HST? I would think it makes sense, since HST is more research based, but can you do MD/PhD with New Pathway also? Anyone know?

Originally posted by CaNEM
If you apply MD/PhD to Harvard, is it better to do HST? I would think it makes sense, since HST is more research based, but can you do MD/PhD with New Pathway also? Anyone know?

I believe MD/PhD is completely independent of HST/New Pathway. That is, you can do MD/PhD with either HST or NP.

HST is for people who want the more quantitative bioengineering stuff. If you want to do research, but all the math basis stuff is not your thing, then do MD PhD, or MD in new pathway, or whatever.

I saw the HST, and I really loved the idea (MD with HST). I' d absolutely love if i could get in (though it is harvard, so i wont put bets on it, nev er know). I have been wondering if it is more competitive also. granted there are fewer p ositions, but aren't there also fewer aplyees and those that are qualified?

hmm, it's like a PhD? IN what way? do you still do the same amount of clerkships, and the same clinical training? if not, would residencies not like it?

Thanks,
Sonya