Big question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NtCrawler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I have a BIG Question. Since I already have a BS degree in another field, must I take a full time schedule of courses each semester? I already have so much course work completed. I only need the pre-requisite classes for admissions, but they only put me at half-time. Will this matter in the admissions process?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

NtCrawler

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't think it's a big deal. I'm assuming you are also working? Or at least involved in some extracurricular activites?

The only way I could see it perceived as a real negative would be if you are taking a half load of classes and not doing anything else outside of the classroom.... Working, volunteering, research, clinical experience, etc... In that case they may wonder about how you're spending your time since with a lighter course load you should have the time for other extracurriculars.

Thank you for responding to my post. I do volunteer work almost every week, and it is documented. I am returning back to school after being in the military. My biggest problem is my GPA. When I was in an Allied Health program, I failed out for family reasons. I just got my GPA back to a 3.5 this past Spring semester. So, hopefully they dont hold this against me too much. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
And to add to this, I am interested in both Pharmacy and D.O.

Thank you for responding to my post. I do volunteer work almost every week, and it is documented. I am returning back to school after being in the military. My biggest problem is my GPA. When I was in an Allied Health program, I failed out for family reasons. I just got my GPA back to a 3.5 this past Spring semester. So, hopefully they dont hold this against me too much. What are your thoughts?

Sounds like a good plan. Just do well in your classes to keep your gpa steady, and you shouldn't have much trouble getting DO interviews.

I only need the pre-requisite classes for admissions, but they only put me at half-time. Will this matter in the admissions process?

It might not be a negative that you're going to school half-time, but if your grade history is questionable then it can look good to take a full course load as a pre-med as "proof" that you're ready to handle medical school.

In other words: Right now you've only shown them that you can kick butt as a part-time student. That's a good start, but obviously it's easier to get an A in organic if that's the only class you're taking. It would kick more butt if you can get all A's as a full-time student. This doesn't mean you have to be taking the hardest classes you can find, but bulking up your workload can improve your application.

It might not be a negative that you're going to school half-time, but if your grade history is questionable then it can look good to take a full course load as a pre-med as "proof" that you're ready to handle medical school.

In other words: Right now you've only shown them that you can kick butt as a part-time student. That's a good start, but obviously it's easier to get an A in organic if that's the only class you're taking. It would kick more butt if you can get all A's as a full-time student. This doesn't mean you have to be taking the hardest classes you can find, but bulking up your workload can improve your application.

Yes, I was thinking strongly about that. I have so many courses completed that I would actually be taking some courses over..such as Sociology that was taken so many years ago or even Spanish... also taken many moons ago...LOL. I will look for some more courses to add. Thank you for your post :)