Bigger cruve on the real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utmedqueen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the people that have taken the MCAT notice that their scores went up from the practice tests they were taking...the scales on the AAMC practice tests are pretty strict, and so I was wondering if you do better on the real thing. I keep getting 31s, but someone told me I should expect about 3 point increase on the real thing. That would be really nice.... Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

utmedqueen said:
I was wondering if the people that have taken the MCAT notice that their scores went up from the practice tests they were taking...the scales on the AAMC practice tests are pretty strict, and so I was wondering if you do better on the real thing. I keep getting 31s, but someone told me I should expect about 3 point increase on the real thing. That would be really nice.... Thanks for your input!

Do not expect the MCAT to be any easier than practice tests. On test day, you should go in with the idea that the test will be challenging and that you will adapt and perform accordingly. Whether the test is for practice, or whether it is the real thing, what matters most is that you do your best.

Good luck.

It will probably depend on your form as well. If you form is incredibly difficult, then that could really mess up the curve. For the most part though, unless they REALLY screw up the difficulty and end up with an uneven distribution of raw scores, I would expect maybe a 2 point increase in the best case scenario. Most people seem to score around the same as their diags.

gujuDoc said:
This is absolutely false. Generally, your score is either within range or 1-2 points higher or lower then your range.

I.e. if you get a range of 33-39, you should be looking at getting between 31-41 somewhere.

Less then 1 out of 10 cases get more then a 2 point increase from their overall range.

I second what Guju said. I was told by my teachers at kaplan that I shouldn't worry most people will score 3 points higher than they do on the practices. YEA OKAY! What Guju said it right on target. You will score within your daigs. I did and so did a lot of other people.