Biggest bunch of cry-babies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who are the biggest cry-babies?

• Medical students

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Psychiatry residents

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Other speciality residents

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Attendings

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters

Ludwig2000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m getting demoralized by the whining among my co-residents. It’s recruitment season and I’m thinking I’ll start just telling the applicants “If you don’t want to work hard, you shouldn’t come here.” Because that will at least filter out some of the whiners.
And I know I’m no better, as someone whining about whiners, but let me just have this poll as an empty vent, will you?.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you a resident at my training program? Because I swear all I hear are whines when they work almost half as many hours as I do. The program has a reputation as being "malignant" or working residents too hard, but in reality most weeks they work 40 hours, or 52 if taking call. When at the prestigious university positions, in our same city, (that some of these residents openly say they would have preferred to match into) the residents are typically working 70-80 hours in a week.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't like the term cry baby but there are certain trends I noticed. Things have definitely changed, and the change is particularly pronounced amongst psychiatry residents.

On the plus side, when I was a resident, few were interested in things like pay, benefits, working conditions. The current generation of residents is more interested in these important things and more programs are unionized now to try to improve the pay and standards for resident physicians. This is a very good thing. Thinking about work-life balance and not fetishizing work is also a good thing.

On the flip side, and several psychiatry PDs have also confirmed this to me, while the quality of psych residents has increased on paper in recent years, the level of entitlement has also grown as well. Residents have expectations and demands from their programs and faculty that were unthinkable a few years ago, demonstrating a lack of touch with reality or the working conditions outside the confines of residency training. I was very disappointed by the lack of curiosity, lack of interest in learning, and lack of work ethic of many of the psychiatry residents I worked with. These were smart residents who looked fantastic on paper. I also worked with many neurology residents and the occasional IM and surgical resident and the difference was staggering. I worked with some great psych residents as well but I much preferred working with neurology residents because they wanted to learn as much as possible, were excited to learn, and from their vantage point doing psych was like a vacation compared to carrying the stroke pager or covering the neuro ICU.

I know of several PDs and faculty who have quit at different institutions around the country, in part because they don't feel equipped or find it rewarding to work with many of the psychiatry residents today. While it is true that good educators must adapt to generational differences that call for different approaches in pedagogy, and non-medical workplaces are changing to accommodate Gen-Zers and late millennials, it is also true that residents don't know what they don't know, and can't fully appreciate the training they get until they are out in practice.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The past two classes at my program have been full of whiners. PGY3 and older classes have been cut from a different cloth. It's definitely a trend we are noticing.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't like the premise of this thread.
Residency training in the US is abusive.
It should be treated like any other job, but it's not, because adminsitrators and senior attendings have made a living out of prostituting vulnerable trainees whose careers are entirely dependent on the approval of whoever is on top of them and the difference in power dynamic is pretty staggering.
They whine because they are being infantilized as teenagers back in school again, rather than treated as working professionals. Because you know, that's what kids do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
On the flip side, and several psychiatry PDs have also confirmed this to me, while the quality of psych residents has increased on paper in recent years, the level of entitlement has also grown as well.
This is an interesting point, likely a function of people that are choosing Psych strictly because it's a "lifestyle" specialty.

I find it funny because I thank my lucky stars everyday that I wasn't forced into Neuro or IM after I talk to one of those residents and see what their workload is like.

Reactions: 5 users
THANK YOU drno31, splik, and surfguy84 - just hearing your observations makes me feel like I’m not totally alone in this mindset, or a crazy old grouch. I mean I may still be the latter but at least it’s somewhat reality based.

G Sheb I agree that infantilization is a huge factor in this. If we’re assigning blame then there are likely many here… e.g. are attendings not really teaching or otherwise making the residents’ jobs fulfilling? but if not is that actually because of admin bloat that prevents the attending from going home in the evening unless they chart all day, etc etc.
I’m just expressing frustration, regardless of who’s to blame. Maybe I’d be the squeakiest wheel of all, if I were younger millennial or gen Z and been raised in the ever more infantilizing milieu.

Even in my day surveying unofficially the different psych programs in the town, there were a few "whiners" but seemed to be more random distribution than a real pattern. But I've been removed from resident exposure for a while.

I have however, dropped any connection with one medical school because the students were way to woke, way to entitled. Even if it were the covid pandemic, put on a professional dress clothes. No, an under t shirts are not sufficient for your teleconference / teaching session. I know the school I went to, would be enforcing with draconian efficiency a basic professional dress code.

I wonder and fear, if the woke toxins have infused medical education more since my academia distance. The one school might have been a geographic fluke, and I currently don't have enough exposure to others to know for sure.

I bring this up because culturally woke correlates with "whining."

Another thing to consider is the historical pool Psychiatry drew upon. Few years back it was 1/3 people who truly wanted Psych, 1/3 couldn't match elsewhere or IMG (pinch of 2nd career change), and the other chunk of folks who I suspect were trying to figure their own personal issues out. The ones I observed in the past complaining loudest were the IMGs who truly hated psych and hated that it was their only way into the US system. But of those categories most were largely grateful to be training.

Perhaps the new competitive paradigm and residents could have matched other specialties and that is the source of the entitlement?

Last edited:
THANK YOU drno31, splik, and surfguy84 - just hearing your observations makes me feel like I’m not totally alone in this mindset, or a crazy old grouch. I mean I may still be the latter but at least it’s somewhat reality based.

G Sheb I agree that infantilization is a huge factor in this. If we’re assigning blame then there are likely many here… e.g. are attendings not really teaching or otherwise making the residents’ jobs fulfilling? but if not is that actually because of admin bloat that prevents the attending from going home in the evening unless they chart all day, etc etc.
I’m just expressing frustration, regardless of who’s to blame. Maybe I’d be the squeakiest wheel of all, if I were younger millennial or gen Z and been raised in the ever more infantilizing milieu.

People whine and complain when they are helpless and don't really have any options. Like kids basically.
Like you can't change your residency like you can change your job.
You can't negotiate your call hours or working conditions..etc You can 'bring it up' (i.e whine) and hope for the best. Typical parent/child dynamic.
I used to dread those weekly residency meetings when things are handed to you how to do x and x, like a kid being told what to do. Would not happen in a job because people can walk away.

It's important to note that this system is not universal. In many European countries, residency is a job you apply to and negotiate like any other job. And even though doctor's salaries are much lower there, residents' salaries are on par or even higher than in the US. That's what happens when you monopolize the system in the hands of administrators and kill any market competition.

I have a big problem with calling any of this "entitlement". The power dynamic is so skewed against residents that it's a bit of a farce to do this.
I'm glad people are standing up for themselves.
On second thought, perhaps it's apt to call it "entitlement". I have rarely if ever saw an employed person being called "entitled" for negotiating something. Because it is understood that in a work contract, you get what you can. Not in residency obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
I'm a ways out of residency now. I graduated with $330K debt. I felt pretty upset/stressed about my lot in life. Family/kids. Expensive metro. Commuting in rush hour to and from clinical sites spread miles across the city. 28-year-old friends making 6 figures and taking vacations while I slaved away in residency. But I really wanted to be a psychiatrist. And it was just the reality.

Most of my co-residents had nowhere near as much debt. They complained about $120K from their state school. The few residents I discussed my financial worries with were supportive, but none could really commiserate with me.

I suspect sushi's hypothesis about changing resident motivations carries some weight. I also think the finances of becoming a doctor have continued to worsen since I was in residency. Everyone is graduating with a lot of debt, even from state schools. Rent is getting more expensive, even in mid-size towns. People are looking to the future housing costs after graduation with hopelessness. And now it's not the handful of people paying full tuition at private med schools and DO schools loaded up with unmanageable debt. So everyone can complain together, and there may be some synergy as a critical mass of residents are all in a crappy financial place together.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm a ways out of residency now. I graduated with $330K debt. I felt pretty upset/stressed about my lot in life. Family/kids. Expensive metro. Commuting in rush hour to and from clinical sites spread miles across the city. 28-year-old friends making 6 figures and taking vacations while I slaved away in residency. But I really wanted to be a psychiatrist. And it was just the reality.

Most of my co-residents had nowhere near as much debt. They complained about $120K from their state school. The few residents I discussed my financial worries with were supportive, but none could really commiserate with me.

I suspect sushi's hypothesis about changing resident motivations carries some weight. I also think the finances of becoming a doctor have continued to worsen since I was in residency. Everyone is graduating with a lot of debt, even from state schools. Rent is getting more expensive, even in mid-size towns. People are looking to the future housing costs after graduation with hopelessness. And now it's not the handful of people paying full tuition at private med schools and DO schools loaded up with unmanageable debt. So everyone can complain together, and there may be some synergy as a critical mass of residents are all in a crappy financial place together.

I urge everyone to keep in mind the current rate of inflation (much higher than what the govt says it is) vs what their rates their debts are currently at. In this climate (and most) it makes sense to pay down student loan debts as slowly as possible.

I was expecting a “Psych Patients” option and I’m disappointed it wasn’t on there.

Even if it was on there I would still have picked medical students, though.

• Haha
I used to dread those weekly residency meetings when things are handed to you how to do x and x, like a kid being told what to do. Would not happen in a job because people can walk away.

Truly spoken like someone who apparently hasn’t had a real job outside of residency…

I mean yeah you can quit your job but this kind of stuff happens all the time in other jobs lol

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One factor is that many residents haven't had the life experience to build emotional resilience- often times they come from priveleged families, and they didn't experience struggle. Adversity builds resilience and strength. Many people have no idea what adversity is anymore. There were a few residents in my class who were good about coming in at noon every day, calling in multiple sick days (way past their alloted amount) and sometimes not showing up at all to rotations (attendings didnt know who was supposed to be there most of the time). I used to whine about that during residency (when i was a resident) because it would shift the scut work to the other residents on service which I felt was BS.

So it depends on what their whining is about. If theyre mad at attendings for not teaching, the reality is I probably learned most of what I know now from patient care/reading/self learning. If theyre mad about working hard, than working hard is always a relative thing and residency is temporary anyways (usually the last two years of psych residency are stupidly easy). If theyre mad because other residents dont pull their weight, i can get aboard that train.

When I was in residency, there was a resident in the class below me who was deemed to be grossly incompetent and was pulled off call rotations (but allowed to stay on core/regular rotations). All of his 12 and 24 hour calls were given to me/my class and his class. People were not happy about that.

Programs usually have good/bad components. If the attendings/admin were malignant people that would be the biggest concern and can make any experience bad. Luckily the majority of my attendings i would say I liked with the exception of two, which is fairly good.

Truly spoken like someone who apparently hasn’t had a real job outside of residency…

I mean yeah you can quit your job but this kind of stuff happens all the time in other jobs lol

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of crappy jobs out there.
If that's how you're infantilized at your job, I'd say get out because there are plenty of better options.

Last edited:
Our residency was known to be pretty work-heavy so most people who chose it didn't whine too much about the work. There were a few who were just constantly anxious/complaining about everything, but that was temperament, not program. There was no consistent trend between classes. Some classes people who worked harder and were more team oriented than others.

Med student attitudes did seem to change quite a bit from graded 3rd year clinical rotators to p/f 2nd year clinical rotators. The latter had much more of a lackadaisical attitude.

I agree that residents and med students are all whiny to some extent. I was no different. There's a difference between the official past time of medicine of complaining to vent and commiserate with each other and the incessant and entitled whining which I believe OP was talking about. I do agree that I have noted at times whining to the point that it legitimately made me angry. An entire class crying to everyone possible about how they have to stay an extra hour on Fridays during a rotation when your patients are homeless with SPMI and don't know where their next meal after discharge will come from is something I feel no sympathy for. Turns out there was a legitimate issue there that was improperly communicated, but the way the problem was communicated says something about the actual mindset of those who were complaining imo.

I think there are several things that play into this. I've noticed that those who were non-trads tend to complain far less than those who never took a pause from school, and when they do it's usually in a constructive form. I've noticed the latter also are more likely to have an attitude of "I did all this work, so I deserve x/y/z", which isn't unreasonable but also isn't how the real world works. I also think the increasing popularity of psychiatry as a "lifestyle" specialty has played a role too. I think those primarily interested in "easier" fields are more likely to have an aversion to work and have feelings of entitlement for just doing the minimum, so they're more likely to complain.

It's important to note that this system is not universal.
This isn't even universal in the US. There's a huge variation in US programs and at the program I attended they made some very significant changes regarding call structure and rotations d/t resident feedback. The idea that residents are helpless to change their program in the US just isn't true. Sure, there are plenty of malignant programs or programs where things don't change, but plenty where things do and residents do have significant say. There's also a difference between standing up for oneself and crying about having to stay an extra 30-40 minutes or take an extra night of home call once a month to help co-residents out.

This has been the complaint about the next generation of everything for all of history.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
AUTHOR:​
Socrates (469–399 B.C.)
QUOTATION:​
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Of course, none of this historical perspective eliminates the potential of current residents to be "snow flakes". There are great residents out there.

There are also products of helicopter parents who produce children who grow up and have no clue. It has been a while since I have interviewed MS4s live, but last time I did, I did have to kick a mom out of the interview and make her sit outside of the office and wait in the hallway. The applicant was embarrassed and apologized very appropriately. I delivered him back to his mother after the interview and I was the last person on his schedule. She insinuated that we would not be on his list given our treatment of her. I told her that fortunately this wasn't up to her and the applicant and I figured out were we stood. I have to admit, I enjoyed saying this. I didn't match him however, but I wish him God's speed moving on.

This guy could have really used our help in my opinion. Our program would have been very good for him.

Rent "Paint Your Wagon" with Clint Eastwood and picture the kid who shows up half way through. It is a funny musical and Clint actually sings in it, although very poorly and that is half the fun. Lee Marvin got a Grammy for "A Wondering Star". It also has the guy from "My favorite Martian". Late 60s movie.

This has been the complaint about the next generation of everything for all of history.
Sure, but it is a different issue when it's people within the same class/generation noting these behaviors of their direct peers as they're all in the same overall setting.

Socrates (469–399 B.C.)
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Of course, none of this historical perspective eliminates the potential of current residents to be "snow flakes". There are great residents out there.

There are also products of helicopter parents who produce children who grow up and have no clue. It has been a while since I have interviewed MS4s live, but last time I did, I did have to kick a mom out of the interview and make her sit outside of the office and wait in the hallway. The applicant was embarrassed and apologized very appropriately. I delivered him back to his mother after the interview and I was the last person on his schedule. She insinuated that we would not be on his list given our treatment of her. I told her that fortunately this wasn't up to her and the applicant and I figured out were we stood. I have to admit, I enjoyed saying this. I didn't match him however, but I wish him God's speed moving on.

This guy could have really used our help in my opinion. Our program would have been very good for him.
Great quote and interesting story. I think the funny thing about the whole blame the youth for being snowflakes thing (which literally every generation has done to the ones that come after) is that we also see this being a direct result of the hypercompetitive nature of late stage capitalism mixed with social media and immediate comparison to people funnier, smarter, better looking, and more skilled than you at all times.

There is the separate issue of psych becoming a more attractive lifestyle specialty and how that changes the applicants/residents/attendings moving forward which is interesting to discuss and see comments on.

Rent "Paint Your Wagon" with Clint Eastwood and picture the kid who shows up half way through. It is a funny musical and Clint actually sings in it, although very poorly and that is half the fun. Lee Marvin got a Grammy for "A Wondering Star". It also has the guy from "My favorite Martian". Late 60s movie.
I was about to quip Clint did great with the Mariah song. But nope. That wasn't Clint. All these years I've had it in my mind Clint was singing that.

I mean their is one big silver lining to putting up with crap at times in residency/med school/attending: we eventually get compensated well for it. Many people deal with bullcrap in their job and dont get paid well for it. Attendings often live a very lucky lifestyle; not that we dont deserve it, we worked hard to get here. But several times when i start to complain in my head I have to remember how lucky/priveleged I am.

Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Unfortunately the quote attributed to Socrates here is not found in Plato or any other ancient text. It seems to have originated with a dissertation by a classics student at Cambridge in 1907 summarizing the complaint made against youth by Socrates' contemporaries. It is not actually quoting any texts.

Socrates was executed on the charge of corrupting the youth, so he was hardly going to complain about how terrible they all were, was he?

Unfortunately the quote attributed to Socrates here is not found in Plato or any other ancient text. It seems to have originated with a dissertation by a classics student at Cambridge in 1907 summarizing the complaint made against youth by Socrates' contemporaries. It is not actually quoting any texts.

Socrates was executed on the charge of corrupting the youth, so he was hardly going to complain about how terrible they all were, was he?
How the hell do you know that

• Haha
How the hell do you know that

I was aware of the second part and in a former life read a lot of classical texts and something about the quote seemed off. After that it was pretty easy to track down the provenance, it appears to be fairly well-established, down to the title of the dissertation.

Reactions: 4 users
"Google an answer for a man and you give him an answer. Teach a man to Google and you give him a lifetime of answers."

-Socrates (469-399 B.C.)
give him bing.com and he will be forever searching

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I buy that my quote may not be accurate. "I found it on the internet so it must be true". The part about the inappropriate helicopter mom was clearly real because it was my experience.

This whole discussion started with the title "Cry-babies" so I consider it fair game to poke the bear at applicants a little bit. Having said that, the quality of psychiatry applicants is moving in an impressive direction and I have benefited greatly from the new generation's ability to disappoint their parents and go through medical school just to "not become a real doctor".

Psychiatry is going to be highly needed and the infiltration of midlevels isn't a function of an attack on our specialty nearly as much as it is just trying to just fill the need that we don't fulfill. The demand for us is ridiculously high. Jobs are everywhere. We have moved from the bottom to averages in terms of pay. All of our graduates out earn me unless we hire them. I'm still fine with the arrangement. I like my job. Students are fantastic and getting better.

If you are hesitant, jump into our pool. The temperature is fine and you will be successful. You may or may not have family that knows anything about the criticism that they will throw at you, but do what you want to do. You are creeping to mid life so this is the time to individuate. Becoming a psychiatrist isn't embarrassing no matter how many extended relatives think they know better.

When you have a parent who pats you on the head and says "that is very nice, but of course you will not do that" be aware that giving in to that will make you angry for the rest of your life while you have horrible hours and operate on memorized algorhythums. This is your best chance to get into psychiatry. It is very hard after that.

I have deleted dozens of emails from PGY-Is who are trying to get into psychiatry because I have no PGY-II spots. I have also ignored 500 "great interest in your program" emails because we have scheduled over 100 interviews already. Get your applications in early and be clear as to your intentions. Psychiatry is still the most buyer friendly specialty and the best in post graduate education outcome. The risk benefit or the take the leap vs traditional specialties outcome ratio in graduate medical education math leaves us on the top. Just ask yourself, are you ready to be boldly selfish? I have a couple of decades of graduates who would tell you it was right for them.

Thank you for reading my rant,
Me,

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
This is your best chance to get into psychiatry. It is very hard after that.

I have deleted dozens of emails from PGY-Is who are trying to get into psychiatry because I have no PGY-II spots.

Sounds like it's becoming much more difficult to switch into psychiatry. How about for those willing to re-do PGY1?

Sounds like it's becoming much more difficult to switch into psychiatry. How about for those willing to re-do PGY1?
If you want to redo a PGY-I spot, you are in the mix and have a small leg up. You have already shown GME performance and yet, that is very painful to have to do.

This whole discussion started with the title "Cry-babies" so I consider it fair game to poke the bear at applicants a little bit. Having said that, the quality of psychiatry applicants is moving in an impressive direction and I have benefited greatly from the new generation's ability to disappoint their parents and go through medical school just to "not become a real doctor".

Psychiatry is going to be highly needed and the infiltration of midlevels isn't a function of an attack on our specialty nearly as much as it is just trying to just fill the need that we don't fulfill. The demand for us is ridiculously high. Jobs are everywhere. We have moved from the bottom to averages in terms of pay. All of our graduates out earn me unless we hire them. I'm still fine with the arrangement. I like my job. Students are fantastic and getting better.

Things have changed so much in the last 5 or 6 years.
At least where I'm at, when I mention I'm a psychiatrist I get a mixture of appreciation and admiration from regular folk.

The way I see it, if people are 26+ years of age and swayed away from psychiatry by family members who know little to nothing about the field, they shouldn’t have gone into it anyhow? They should either be able to make a compelling case for it, or not need their external validation.

while the quality of psych residents has increased on paper in recent years, the level of entitlement has also grown as well. Residents have expectations and demands from their programs and faculty that were unthinkable a few years ago, demonstrating a lack of touch with reality or the working conditions outside the confines of residency training.
Just wait until the entitled population (not referencing good residents) are "all grown up" and attendings who perceive that they did the "hard work." I was in an ob/gyn residency before psych. Obviously, a stark difference. I had to deal with a very entitled recent grad and my office was her first job out of residency. I know I've tooted my own horn a lot on this forum, but per hour of work, in this geographic area I'm paying top 5 percentile. She was ALWAYS trying to re-negotiate the contract. Like every 2 months she kept trying to ask more. Despite the fact she was making well above full time pay and her first year in took over 3 months off! The days she does work here, they are not even full time days. Eventually I set a boundary. And I see this with some psychologists too. I made it a clinic policy that certain parameters must be met to be able to negotiate the contract with me. It must be discussed at a meeting that is scheduled. It's allowed once per calendar year. In order for the meeting to even be allowed, you must show me a competing economical model prior to the meeting (which I will review to facilitate a truly constructive discussion), a working model in REAL LIFE. Like another job offer model, different compensation model. Not only will it allow an employer to learn what they are competing with, but they are realistic numbers to aim for. Not just "I want more money because I want more" which is what it was turning into. With 15 providers, I don't have the time if every one of them tried to pull that every two months. Which robs the clinic of valuable work I could do like negotiate better insurance rates, market to a more lucrative niche, optimize efficiency of overhead cost (that what we are paying for returns well on our investments, etc.). A lot of what was asked for was impossible. Like not only would I have to turn over 100% of the insurance reimbursements, but the clinic bank account would have to lose 30k a year to keep up with what they were asking for. In terms of what happened in my working relationship with this provider, in all honesty, I was providing as much as I feasibly could without the clinic being at a net loss for having her. Which I communicated that and said I really cannot mathematically pay more, this is what I've got and it's what it is. I'm aware she looked at other potential job options, and she's still working here. Same thing with another provider who asked for a compensation that was not only impossible, but not offered anywhere in this region of the country by an employer (unless you're some super famous baller provider with an insane cash rate that people are willing to pay and travel across the country for). That provider ended up staying for over a year afterward too and is also still here. I'll just leave that there.

I've been asking in the office, people please, propose some realistic numbers here or it just makes me think you're stupid and it stinks up the work place like heck. Like someone seriously cut the cheese. It makes the working relationship really awkward.

Please note, this does not apply to all residents/psychiatrists. Or all psychologists. I can't speak to interactions with residents. But I do pick up on entitlement in the working realm with the more recent grads. There's good ones too. But there are definitely entitled ones and they really stick out. As to the distribution of what percent is what, I have no great grounds because I don't have the data, but can definitely speak to some experiences as an employer. I've fortunately had some good experiences too. But the frequency of the memorable ones did surprise me and the degrees they stuck out. I would have never considered asking for some of the things asked at this office because the math spoke. It just wasn't possible.

Last edited:
Just wait until the entitled population (not referencing good residents) are "all grown up" and attendings who perceive that they did the "hard work." I was in an ob/gyn residency before psych. Obviously, a stark difference. I had to deal with a very entitled recent grad and my office was her first job out of residency. I know I've tooted my own horn a lot on this forum, but per hour of work, in this geographic area I'm paying top 5 percentile. She was ALWAYS trying to re-negotiate the contract. Like every 2 months she kept trying to ask more. Despite the fact she was making well above full time pay and her first year in took over 3 months off! The days she does work here, they are not even full time days. Eventually I set a boundary. And I see this with some psychologists too. I made it a clinic policy that certain parameters must be met to be able to negotiate the contract with me. It must be discussed at a meeting that is scheduled. It's allowed once per calendar year. In order for the meeting to even be allowed, you must show me a competing economical model prior to the meeting (which I will review to facilitate a truly constructive discussion), a working model in REAL LIFE. Like another job offer model, different compensation model. Not only will it allow an employer to learn what they are competing with, but they are realistic numbers to aim for. Not just "I want more money because I want more" which is what it was turning into. With 15 providers, I don't have the time if every one of them tried to pull that every two months. Which robs the clinic of valuable work I could do like negotiate better insurance rates, market to a more lucrative niche, optimize efficiency of overhead cost (that what we are paying for returns well on our investments, etc.). A lot of what was asked for was impossible. Like not only would I have to turn over 100% of the insurance reimbursements, but the clinic bank account would have to lose 30k a year to keep up with what they were asking for. In terms of what happened in my working relationship with this provider, in all honesty, I was providing as much as I feasibly could without the clinic being at a net loss for having her. Which I communicated that and said I really cannot mathematically pay more, this is what I've got and it's what it is. I'm aware she looked at other potential job options, and she's still working here. Same thing with another provider who asked for a compensation that was not only impossible, but not offered anywhere in this country by an employer (unless you're some super famous baller provider with an insane cash rate that people are willing to pay and travel across the country for). That provider ended up staying for over a year afterward too and is also still here. I'll just leave that there.

I've been asking in the office, people please, propose some realistic numbers here or it just makes me think you're stupid and it stinks up the work place like heck. Like someone seriously cut the cheese.

Please note, this does not apply to all residents/psychiatrists. Or all psychologists. I can't speak to interactions with residents. But I do pick up on entitlement in the working realm with the more recent grads. There's good ones too. But there are definitely entitled ones and they really stick out. As to the distribution of what percent is what, I have no great grounds because I don't have the data, but can definitely speak to some experiences as an employer. I've fortunately had some good experiences too. But the frequency of the memorable ones did surprise me and the degrees they stuck out. I would have never considered asking for some of the things asked at this office because the math spoke. It just wasn't possible.
You hire 15 providers?

So 15 psychiatrists? Or what do you mean? If you have 15 psychiatrists or NPs that you profit from you gotta be making 2M+ right?
in the millions would be nice. But no, I actually make a very average psychiatrist annual income with just a very light patient census--one year I had 130k only, in the past 1-3 years. Most years are 300k or 400k but they tend to correlate with me putting in more hours (some are 60 a week--PP has unpredictability). however, even with a light patient schedule, the job is still very full time like. I even still work on the weekends--partly because I'm a control freak with making sure each dime is accounted for, I have catastrophic thoughts of this clinic hemorrhaging in expenses. This thread actually brings out some interesting philosophical questions and brings in psychology to the picture.

In regards to the office, it's a combination of therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists. It grew quick because it pays well, I try to keep a good culture and a good lifestyle. I also try to recruit a good fit of patients. Only criteria is that you are committed to your treatment, to getting better, no other agendas. It takes commercial, medicare and medicaid. and it is evidence based, so the reputation is excellent and referral funnel fantastic. Always on the recruit because we can't keep up with the demand from motivated people.

At the same time, there are people who wonder how much I make and assume it's massive. Which brings in basic econ or even just math I wish people understood. Yes, the patient schedule looks low. But a larger practice has a lot to do to keep up with competition: marketing, keeping up with inflation, recruitment and retention of good people, grievances, liabilities (like getting entity coverage, updating documentation templates), optimizing revenue cycle and overhead cost, building up academic affiliations (I see that as a wise investment for promoting quality of care and ease of retention of good providers--some of which we train!). And I think owner presence is important. It's a place i believe in. And really try to balance my income and the culture of the place.

On the same token, it's possible with further growth, the income of the owner can grow quite a bit. But so far it has taken nearly 5 years of grueling work. The first three (one year of prep while working for an employer) was 80 hours a week. There's a lot of mental gymnastics. You need to know how to handle money, not get bullied by insurance companies, make sure services you pay for are actually doing their work (had to fire 3 SEO services before settling on mine--the SEO has been a golden goose), automating things and using software as much as possible to minimize need for hiring admin staff (performance too unreliable and very very expensive--easy way for a clinic to lose money), mastering my own recruiting abilities (recruiters are very expensive and you as the owner know what candidate profile fits needs of the clinic best), etc. Clinic started off as me in a small room. Did my own office work, billing, collections, rendered my own TMS and worked full time as a psychiatrist. I learned it all. And being a successful owner calls on even more than the massive skill set we have to acquire as a physician. So if down the road I make millions a year...the question is, if everyone else is treated quite well, where does one draw the line of what is deserved by the owner versus not? Anyone can walk away and start their own clinic. Few can make their own business succeed. It's economics. This doesn't happen too much, but I do pick up on resent from a few people. But if someone sets up a smart business model, invents a great device, are we in a place to tell them they don't deserve the rewards (assuming they're not running some sweat shop style culture)? I do keep tabs on what other places offer and what is mathematically feasible. As a matter of fact, had a meeting with a major attorney in healthcare, contract, and Stark Law well known in the country. I wanted to discuss if I should be concerned about compensating providers too much because being able to offer competitive pay has been the draw here and I want to keep it going but don't want to be in some large scale violation. The good news: as a for profit Stark entity, he says there's no limit! But if you ever find yourself working for a non-profit, there is. Now if any one else was in the shoes of being a successful business owner, I think they too would feel like they've earned their keep. And if multiple employees asked for an agreement where your company was at a net loss per year, you'd also not feel the greatest about that. If anything for basic econ, it's an unsustainable model and can be contagious because if more start asking for that, it would just be a matter of time before you as the owner are not earning. I do feel like I've earned my keep and it takes a lot of work to keep the success going. I grew up in poverty, single parent household. My mother had a restaurant. Since 8 years of age, I worked full time. But this also gave me a ton of work experience in running a business so it worked out?

This place was started with goals for me to make more though. Because I knew it was not feasible in standard employer models and there was a vision I had for a healthcare setting too. I want more children and for complex reasons may need to prepare for a single parent household. I'd like three, am expecting right now. My parents don't have much savings or investments, they are older. I'm an only child and need to support them and for their increased needs. One of them is already terminal.

Wow, long answer. But I think what this thread highlights is, there are realities we need to work with. If we don't like something, we must pursue influencing some change and not demand it be served. And everyone has their own story, so we shouldn't assume too much? And at the end of the day, we are very fortunate. This thread when taking about whiners is most likely referencing people who truly objectively are whiners and I thin we all know this is not meant to be a generalization. . . cheers! lol

in the millions would be nice. But no, I actually make a very average psychiatrist annual income with just a very light patient census--one year I had 130k only, in the past 1-3 years. Most years are 300k or 400k but they tend to correlate with me putting in more hours (some are 60 a week--PP has unpredictability). however, even with a light patient schedule, the job is still very full time like. I even still work on the weekends--partly because I'm a control freak with making sure each dime is accounted for, I have catastrophic thoughts of this clinic hemorrhaging in expenses. This thread actually brings out some interesting philosophical questions and brings in psychology to the picture.

In regards to the office, it's a combination of therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists. It grew quick because it pays well, I try to keep a good culture and a good lifestyle. I also try to recruit a good fit of patients. Only criteria is that you are committed to your treatment, to getting better, no other agendas. It takes commercial, medicare and medicaid. and it is evidence based, so the reputation is excellent and referral funnel fantastic. Always on the recruit because we can't keep up with the demand from motivated people.

At the same time, there are people who wonder how much I make and assume it's massive. Which brings in basic econ or even just math I wish people understood. Yes, the patient schedule looks low. But a larger practice has a lot to do to keep up with competition: marketing, keeping up with inflation, recruitment and retention of good people, grievances, liabilities (like getting entity coverage, updating documentation templates), optimizing revenue cycle and overhead cost, building up academic affiliations (I see that as a wise investment for promoting quality of care and ease of retention of good providers--some of which we train!). And I think owner presence is important. It's a place i believe in. And really try to balance my income and the culture of the place.

On the same token, it's possible with further growth, the income of the owner can grow quite a bit. But so far it has taken nearly 5 years of grueling work. The first three (one year of prep while working for an employer) was 80 hours a week. There's a lot of mental gymnastics. You need to know how to handle money, not get bullied by insurance companies, make sure services you pay for are actually doing their work (had to fire 3 SEO services before settling on mine--the SEO has been a golden goose), automating things and using software as much as possible to minimize need for hiring admin staff (performance too unreliable and very very expensive--easy way for a clinic to lose money), mastering my own recruiting abilities (recruiters are very expensive and you as the owner know what candidate profile fits needs of the clinic best), etc. Clinic started off as me in a small room. Did my own office work, billing, collections, rendered my own TMS and worked full time as a psychiatrist. I learned it all. And being a successful owner calls on even more than the massive skill set we have to acquire as a physician. So if down the road I make millions a year...the question is, if everyone else is treated quite well, where does one draw the line of what is deserved by the owner versus not? Anyone can walk away and start their own clinic. Few can make their own business succeed. It's economics. This doesn't happen too much, but I do pick up on resent from a few people. But if someone sets up a smart business model, invents a great device, are we in a place to tell them they don't deserve the rewards (assuming they're not running some sweat shop style culture)? I do keep tabs on what other places offer and what is mathematically feasible. As a matter of fact, had a meeting with a major attorney in healthcare, contract, and Stark Law well known in the country. I wanted to discuss if I should be concerned about compensating providers too much because being able to offer competitive pay has been the draw here and I want to keep it going but don't want to be in some large scale violation. The good news: as a for profit Stark entity, he says there's no limit! But if you ever find yourself working for a non-profit, there is. Now if any one else was in the shoes of being a successful business owner, I think they too would feel like they've earned their keep. And if multiple employees asked for an agreement where your company was at a net loss per year, you'd also not feel the greatest about that. If anything for basic econ, it's an unsustainable model and can be contagious because if more start asking for that, it would just be a matter of time before you as the owner are not earning. I do feel like I've earned my keep and it takes a lot of work to keep the success going. I grew up in poverty, single parent household. My mother had a restaurant. Since 8 years of age, I worked full time. But this also gave me a ton of work experience in running a business so it worked out?

This place was started with goals for me to make more though. Because I knew it was not feasible in standard employer models and there was a vision I had for a healthcare setting too. I want more children and for complex reasons may need to prepare for a single parent household. I'd like three, am expecting right now. My parents don't have much savings or investments, they are older. I'm an only child and need to support them and for their increased needs. One of them is already terminal.

Wow, long answer. But I think what this thread highlights is, there are realities we need to work with. If we don't like something, we must pursue influencing some change and not demand it be served. And everyone has their own story, so we shouldn't assume too much? And at the end of the day, we are very fortunate. This thread when taking about whiners is most likely referencing people who truly objectively are whiners and I thin we all know this is not meant to be a generalization. . . cheers! lol
Wow very good answer lots of insight! I was one of the people who thought I guess the owner would be making a ton, I’d think at least 50k profit average per provider but I guess I’m wrong!

• Care
Just keep your eye on the ball. I work in a system that has 4K providers and 0.5K psychiatrists. 0.25K of our psychiatrists have their belts tightened half way between their xythroud (not sure how to spell xythroud) process and their umbilicus. Get into the environment you will learn in and have mentorship. If you are not intimidated, wait a decade and you will wish you were. Surround your self with quality and you will do well.

Just keep your eye on the ball. I work in a system that has 4K providers and 0.5K psychiatrists. 0.25K of our psychiatrists have their belts tightened half way between their xythroud (not sure how to spell xythroud) process and their umbilicus. Get into the environment you will learn in and have mentorship. If you are not intimidated, wait a decade and you will wish you were. Surround your self with quality and you will do well.
I believe you were thinking of xiphoid.

• Haha
yes, clearly obscure spelling isn't my strength. This is what I meant.

1668100077458.png

• Haha
WOW, I am both amazed there is a system with 500 psychiatrists and even more amazed that 1/8 the physicians are psychiatrists. UPMC is my thought of biggest psychiatric group and it's dwarfed by yours. Unless it's a reference to a KPMG type setup across multiple states.

Yeah, residents complain, and its especially frustrating as a senior/chief, because often the answer is "yeah, that's residency". That said, there complaints almost never have anything to do with the what they're saying. It really is all about the lack of autonomy, feeling trapped, and being infantilized. When our residents complained about attendings or a clinic, it was because they weren't treated well and were treated subserviantly by the attending. They'd talk about the same issues (work hrs, patients, scheduling, etc.) that were universal to all the clinics, but we rarely if ever had complaints from the clinic where the attendings treated the residents better or with more autonomy.

Also, to ride another comment, inflation, debt, and less respect from patients is 100% happening to residents right now. In the last 1-2 yrs of training I went from feeling 100% comfortable and like I had a more than enough for my family to have it all and save, to saving nothing, dipping into previous saving and still feeling like we had to tighten our belts. The external stress has increased much more, so the lack of autonomy hurt even more that year, and the complaining/commiserating is unfortunately how a lot of single young residents handle that stress.

That's unbelievable. I've heard of stuff like that on med school interviews, and thought it was ridiculous then. I can't imagine it being done in a residency interview.