Bio major neccessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousstudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering - is a bio major absolutely neccessary in order to do research and be competitive for MSTP? Or could someone major in a humanities field while just taking a few bio classes and do research in bio?

Members don't see this ad.

No, a biosciences major is not necessary, and research can really be in any scientific field. I've personally seen plenty of people from areas like engineering, chemistry and psych (majors and research) now in MD/PhD programs. Just study and do research in whatever field is fascinating to you, and then do the normal clinical experience stuff for the med school part.

Certainly not. Let's take a music major with strong research experience versus a biology major with weak research experience. And let's assume that BCPM GPA and MCAT scores were similar between the two candidates. The bio major is gonna kicked in the balls in this situation.

I was history major (no double major, or minor in a science) and still got into several places. It's been said ad nauseum around here but it's definitely the research experience that make you look attractive as an applicant.

-X

AndyMilonakis said:
Certainly not. Let's take a music major with strong research experience versus a biology major with weak research experience. And let's assume that BCPM GPA and MCAT scores were similar between the two candidates. The bio major is gonna kicked in the balls in this situation.