Biochemistry as a non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nephromancer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would be the most reasonable place to take biochemistry as a non-trad? Many of the schools I'm planning on applying to require it. I did fine on the biochem section of my MCAT and I'm thinking I should just take it online right before applying. Any advice or suggestions for courses would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Where would be the most reasonable place to take biochemistry as a non-trad? Many of the schools I'm planning on applying to require it. I did fine on the biochem section of my MCAT and I'm thinking I should just take it online right before applying. Any advice or suggestions for courses would be greatly appreciated.

Fellow non-trad. I took medical biochem through UNE’s online program. It was difficult, but doable. It’ll help you during the med school curriculum for sure!

Reactions: 1 users
I am taking it this semester at Harvard ext campus. It is reasonably priced and did not involve a lengthy application.
I can't say about the actual class but heard it is good. Registration is still open. Classes start January 221st I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking it this semester at Harvard ext campus. It is reasonably priced and did not involve a lengthy application.
I can't say about the actual class but heard it is good. Registration is still open. Classes start January 221st I think.
Have you taken any other classes at HES?

I hated UNE, and my professor was unhelpful. It was the worst course I've ever taken, and its so bad that I don't think it should be accredited - and certainly not accepted by adcoms under anything but the most extenuating of circumstances.

For staters, they emphasize wrote memorization over conceptual mastery. For another, the lectures are a mess. Tests I took had little resemblance to lectures. The text is absolute garbage compared to Lehninger. And they just magically stopped curving grades the semester I took it with no warning.

UCB offers a biochemistry online that has to be better - UCB would not put their name on a product like the one coming out of UNE.

UNE biochem has been discussed ad nauseum, particularly here. That thread includes my account of how I approached the course and came away with a high A grade. In short, you are right that the lectures are painful to watch, but you are dead wrong about them having little relation to the tests. To the contrary, the lectures are the key to doing well in the course.

I have not taken the UCB biochem course, but every review I've read is negative. Apparently grading is based, at least to some extent, on essays, therefore making it somewhat subjective.

I researched online biochem courses extensively before taking it. Without a doubt, the one with the least complaints is at Colorado State University. More here. It is not, however, self-paced. It also does not cover all the topics required by TMDSAS for biochem for those planning to apply in TX. However, several people who've taken it applied in TX and didn't have any issues. So the TMDSAS issue is probably irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 user