Biochemistry Major..backup plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stifler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So okay, im into medicine for the challenge and money. So I'm doing a biochem major to best prep me for it and i like the challenge. However, if i struggle in it later own in my upper level classes (im a rising sophomore), and i end up with a not great gpa like 3.5+. i would like to do business. do you think being a biochem major would be beneficial to that? a lot of biochem majors here end up doing consulting because they have proven analytical skills from their science classes that businesses love. what do you guys know about science majors turning to business as a back up plan. are they successful?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to make money with a biochem degree be a drug rep.

stifler said:
So okay, im into medicine for the challenge and money. So I'm doing a biochem major to best prep me for it and i like the challenge. However, if i struggle in it later own in my upper level classes (im a rising sophomore), and i end up with a not great gpa like 3.5+. i would like to do business. do you think being a biochem major would be beneficial to that? a lot of biochem majors here end up doing consulting because they have proven analytical skills from their science classes that businesses love. what do you guys know about science majors turning to business as a back up plan. are they successful?

i mean sub 3.5. no seriously would i be at a disadvantage if i graduate college and im like yo i cant do medicine anymore because one i might not get in or not get into a school that is good enough for me to pay back my debt quickly.. so i want to do business if i cant be good at medicine. do i still stand a chance in getting jobs in IB or consulting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although the majority of applicants are science majors, you do not have to be one to enter medical school; as long as you take the necessary prerequisites, you will be fine. You also do not need a 3.5 to be admitted; it's not a guarantee of admissions, but obviously the better your statistics are, the better your likelihood of getting in will be.

If you do not think you will do well in biochemistry, you can always switch to business, take the pre-reqs, and apply. If you think you will not do well in the sciences and as a result, you feel that you may not do well in medical school, then that is a different story altogether.

Also, the relationship between getting into a particular type of school and paying back your debt is pretty small. Unless you get into one of your state schools, or your parents are going to cover the costs, you are going to have a lot of debt.

Best of luck.

LVDoc said:
Although the majority of applicants are science majors, you do not have to be one to enter medical school; as long as you take the necessary prerequisites, you will be fine. You also do not need a 3.5 to be admitted; it's not a guarantee of admissions, but obviously the better your statistics are, the better your likelihood of getting in will be.

If you do not think you will do well in biochemistry, you can always switch to business, take the pre-reqs, and apply. If you think you will not do well in the sciences and as a result, you feel that you may not do well in medical school, then that is a different story altogether.

Also, the relationship between getting into a particular type of school and paying back your debt is pretty small. Unless you get into one of your state schools, or your parents are going to cover the costs, you are going to have a lot of debt.

Best of luck.

i totally understand that i dont need a 3.5 or to major in a science. im just saying if i end up either failing to gain admissions to a med school or i choose not to go to medicine after gettting a biochemistry degree, do i have a strong chance of being able to be competitive for jobs like consulting and i banking. cuz ive heard that businesses love science majors because they have proven themselves with the major to have great logic and amazing analytical skills. so... in summary if i have a biochem degree do i stand a good shot at getting into business school to find a job that ends tons of money.

yea i want money, im sure all of you guys do too.

You can goto law school and specialize in intellectual property. There will be a lot of demand for lawers with science background.

stifler said:
i totally understand that i dont need a 3.5 or to major in a science. im just saying if i end up either failing to gain admissions to a med school or i choose not to go to medicine after gettting a biochemistry degree, do i have a strong chance of being able to be competitive for jobs like consulting and i banking. cuz ive heard that businesses love science majors because they have proven themselves with the major to have great logic and amazing analytical skills. so... in summary if i have a biochem degree do i stand a good shot at getting into business school to find a job that ends tons of money.

yea i want money, im sure all of you guys do too.

yea, you should be fine --you'll have to take the gmat i believe

This post is wrong on a variety of levels.

stifler said:
So okay, im into medicine for the challenge and money.

Sure, doctors make lots of money, but they work the equivalent of the two full-time jobs. Why don't you major in finance,accounting, or law if you want money? You'll never be on call in those fields.

[/QUOTE]So I'm doing a biochem major to best prep me for it and i like the challenge. [/QUOTE]

A biochem major will not be the best prep for becoming a doctor or going to medical school. At most, it'll prep you for the first four weeks of the biochemistry class that all first year students have to take. You'll then have to struggle through the rest of the courses just like everyone else.

However, if i struggle in it later own in my upper level classes (im a rising sophomore), and i end up with a not great gpa like 3.5+.

Okay, so you get less than a 3.5; what's the problem? You can always augment your scores with loads of liberal arts classes. That'll boost your GPA. And if you still have less than a 3.5, you can still get into medical school. Just check the mdapplicants.com and the AAMC's website for success stories.

i would like to do business.

Why don't you? It sounds like you already enjoy business more than science anyway.

do you think being a biochem major would be beneficial to that? a lot of biochem majors here end up doing consulting because they have proven analytical skills from their science classes that businesses love.

Maybe. Getting a job as a consult with just a bachelor's degree and no work experience is very difficult. If anything, you will need to go to graduate school in chemistry, get an MBA, or spend several years working as a lab technician first.

what do you guys know about science majors turning to business as a back up plan. are they successful?

I know lots of science majors who later get their MBA. How do you define success? They aren't making $100,000 a year, but they are happy.

i mean prep me for med school meaning other than the premed requirements id only have to take 6 other courses to get a major whereas if i majored in econ id have to take 12 econ courses and the 10 premed courses. aka easier schedule.

i want to be a doctor i just want to know that if i dont make it i have a nice back up career path that i can go towards and that happens to be business.

since i am very devoted to becoming a doctor i will fully devote myself to it and not bother with business. i just wanted to know if i can catch up to ppl who have always wanted to do business even though ive done nothing related to it.

gosh you are picking away at my words. i know you can get in with a 3.5 or below. you can even get in with a 3.2 like my friend did, im just trying to say if my gpa isnt good enough for med school, i can do something else with my life and not be too behind because i would have devoted so much for a career in medicine

If you graduate and haven't stopped using "like" and "yo" every 4 words, yes, you'll be at a severe disadvantaqe.

indo said:
If you graduate and haven't stopped using "like" and "yo" every 4 words, yes, you'll be at a severe disadvantaqe.

i take it that you have graduated. sad that you cant read or count because i used like only twice in a non verb form and yo once. if you have nothing constructive to say then dont say it.